2005 Ocean Blue LT seat question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Question 2005 Ocean Blue LT seat question

Dear valued members:

I have traded my 2003 LTE for a new 2005 LT. I am a tall guy and have been disappointed by the new seat.

Here is what I have asked the dealer to do before I take delivery on the bike.

I have asked him to swap the stock seat with the thicker one ( comfort seat ) and also requested that the steal bar under my current 2003 seat be moved over to the new thicket seat. I havae noticed that the bar under the 2003 bike seat is LONGER and would facilitate a better fit under my new comfort seat so I can ride this new bike.

I have 2 questions:

Will the old bad fir properly on the new seat ( the dealer thinks that it does not...I highly doubt that....both seats are the same and should be cut the same way for the bar to fit so it can raise it )

If the bar fits, will the seat be higher from the frame in the bike such that I would have to worry about water sipping in the inside of the bike when raining? Now that the panels are flat and not portruding up on the bike, am I risking electrical problems?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:09 pm

I'm a little confused...are you talking about the two position bar attached to the seat bottom that allows you to set a higher or lower seat position? Why change it out? If it's there on the seat your swapping for and working, then it's there to accomplish that task just like the one you have now, right? One other thing...if the dealer is willing to swap the Comfort Seat for the stock, be aware there is an external pattern on the Comfort Seat not present on the stock, unless of course he is swapping out the entire set to include the pillion seat and backrest.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:10 pm
Super Moderator

The seats are interchangeable, but the bars under the seat are not. Just keep the pre-05 bar on the pre-05 seat and bolt it to your 05 bike; it'll work fine. I transplanted the Rick Mayer seats from my 02 onto my 05, no problem.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1201ltc
Dear valued members:

I have traded my 2003 LTE for a new 2005 LT. I am a tall guy and have been disappointed by the new seat.

Here is what I have asked the dealer to do before I take delivery on the bike.

I have asked him to swap the stock seat with the thicker one ( comfort seat ) and also requested that the steal bar under my current 2003 seat be moved over to the new thicket seat. I havae noticed that the bar under the 2003 bike seat is LONGER and would facilitate a better fit under my new comfort seat so I can ride this new bike.

I have 2 questions:

Will the old bad fir properly on the new seat ( the dealer thinks that it does not...I highly doubt that....both seats are the same and should be cut the same way for the bar to fit so it can raise it )

If the bar fits, will the seat be higher from the frame in the bike such that I would have to worry about water sipping in the inside of the bike when raining? Now that the panels are flat and not portruding up on the bike, am I risking electrical problems?

Thanks in advance!
Incidentally, Spiros I have been playing on the same playground as you (or your dealer) is right now.

My comments:

If you can get the seat swap for free, do it. Otherwise I would not spend any extra money for the OEM "comfort seat". Eventually you end up getting a custom seat anyway and the custom saddlemakers will not give you any credit for supplying them a "comfort" seat.

As you are a tall guy, I bet you would prefer the older type seat altogether. The new model seat is made for the shorter guys - on the expense of the comfort for the taller.

Now the height adjustment bar: You are right that the old model has about 15 mm more height adjustment than the new one. And the dealer is also right. The older seat adjustment bar will not fit into a new model seat without some modifications. (See the picture.)
The old bar is about 10 mm longer. This should be no big deal. The bigger deal is the round disc that prevents the side movement of the bar. It is placed differently in the new bar. I'm sure the old bar could be fitted but it requires some "dremeling" for both new and old seat in case you would only swap the bars. And that might explain the reluctancy of the dealer to start messing up two sets of seats...

I would rather swap the whole seat set from the old bike and get them redone by the one custom seat makers when you feel like it And if not, there is a truckload of information on the forum...

As for the water sipping issue: I'm in the process of making a power adjustable seat with 55 mm of adjustability and I'm not going to loose my good night sleep worrying about the water. That part of the bike is not waterproof in any case and the electricals there should be OK.

Hope this helps, still confused but on a higher level?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2443.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	1649  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #5 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!!

Hi-

Thank you all for replying to my post. I guess I will have to go with the suggestion to keep my old seat ( 2003 seat ) and not worry about it until I decide to invest some money on a custom one.

Here is how I ride the bike ( 2003 Model ).

Suspension all the way hard.

I bought a 3 inch gell-pad seat cover which I always lay on the seat.
On top of the gell cover, I am resting a 5 inch hard pillow I bought from Wallmart.

You can imagine that even on the high setting of the bar on a 2003 seat, I am adding another 8 inches of height to get just about where I want to be riding this bike.

Anyone that you know of that is doing great work in modifying stock seats on the East Coast side? I would much rather be able to take the new bike to him/her and have them work on my seat while I am there.

Thanks,
Spiros!!!
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 11th, 2018, 11:58 am

Re: 2005 Ocean Blue LT seat question

Just a note, Yes the 2003 seat will go on the 2005, I swapped out my 2002 daylong saddle onto my 2005, but the 2005 seat will not go on the 2003 without cutting Tupperware
I have to by a 2002 seat pan and swap over the 2005 cover.

P/S does any one have a good seat pan 2000 to 2004 , upholstery does not matter. Shipping a bit of a issue, I am up in BC , Canada

Thx Darcy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in