Great New Product for LT's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Great New Product for LT's

For the past year that I've been watching this forum, I've read about a lot of you having problems with the top trunk latch breaking. A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about this again and a mention of a website LTtrunklatch.com. So I checked it out and was impressed. I bought a kit called "Fix it before it Breaks" and just finished installing it. WOW this thing Rocks! It was pretty easy to install and really beefs-up the vunerable hinges. The parts were first class and everything installed perfectly. The trunk didn't have to be removed, and I didn't even have to get the hammer out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:10 pm

Re: Great New Product for LT's

LTTrunklatch.com
post #3 of 30 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 1:21 am

Jep, just got mine on Friday on installed it yesterday. Took about an hour to install, couple of tricky sports... but it feels quite different now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:06 am

I will soon open the sub-forum for the product on the Vendors' section of the Home page here. It will include advice, buyer's comments, and answers to questions. Both Roblee55 and ilpo have written that it took them an hour. I'll bet if they did a 2nd one, they would be down in the 15-20 minute range.

I can install in 10 minutes, but then I've LIVED with this thing for a couple of months, designing, programming, machining and all of the iteration to produce a product that CAN be installed "on the bike". So suffice to say, I know this thing pretty well.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll get the sub-forum going within the next couple of days.

Thank you,
Evan Guy
post #5 of 30 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Yes, the hour on the 1st time included also reading the very good instructions through couple of times and translating them from English to Finnish... that was the second tricky part as the language we usually use does not includes this type of words...

And waiting for my wife to bring flashlight to take those 2 small parts away, could not really see anything where they were until I got that.

But if all the tools are ready, instructions already read and understood that 15 minutes is pretty close on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 5:38 pm

I installed this kit. Good instructions and pictures. I did have to turn the pics upside down as I took the trunk off and worked on the bench. It took about 1.5 hours including removing and installing the trunk and lubricating parts. I think it would have taken a lot longer if I were trying to look and reach up in with the trunk still installed. Latch is very solid feeling now. Nice kit.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #7 of 30 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Although I appreciate replacement parts with CNC engineering behind them, why did the OEM parts break in the first place? My vanity mirror broke at the hinges because I had the trunk overloaded and the helmet inside put pressure on the mirror, hence broken hinges.

An ounce of prevention . . . . And thank you for the replacement parts.

Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 30 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Thumbs up Re: Great New Product for LT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee55
For the past year that I've been watching this forum, I've read about a lot of you having problems with the top trunk latch breaking. A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about this again and a mention of a website LTtrunklatch.com. So I checked it out and was impressed. I bought a kit called "Fix it before it Breaks" and just finished installing it. WOW this thing Rocks! It was pretty easy to install and really beefs-up the vunerable hinges. The parts were first class and everything installed perfectly. The trunk didn't have to be removed, and I didn't even have to get the hammer out!
I also ordered and installed one this weekend !! Super work.. I did take the top pack off and flip it upside down and this actually made the install even easier than working upside down.. Of course I had to flip some of the instructions over in my head, but the time to flip the top pack made it faster in my opinion. The toughest part is getting 2 old e-clips off so the install can proceed, and that was not bad.. The latch on my 05 has always been a bit hard, so I am really happy that I now have a strengthened latch assembly. I would recommend anyone get one of these to prevent the latch failure!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #9 of 30 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Although I appreciate replacement parts with CNC engineering behind them, why did the OEM parts break in the first place? My vanity mirror broke at the hinges because I had the trunk overloaded and the helmet inside put pressure on the mirror, hence broken hinges.

An ounce of prevention . . . . And thank you for the replacement parts.

Curt
Hey, Curt - that's what the guys at the dealership 'suggested' to me about ole Toad's mirror hinges that broke. Phooey - I never put my helmet in the trunk, AND never packed it full enough to put pressure on the mirrors nor the hinges.
post #10 of 30 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
I also ordered and installed one this weekend !! Super work.. I did take the top pack off and flip it upside down and this actually made the install even easier than working upside down.. Of course I had to flip some of the instructions over in my head, but the time to flip the top pack made it faster in my opinion. The toughest part is getting 2 old e-clips off so the install can proceed, and that was not bad.. The latch on my 05 has always been a bit hard, so I am really happy that I now have a strengthened latch assembly. I would recommend anyone get one of these to prevent the latch failure!
You flip lots of things upside and over you head, so what's new?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 30 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
You flip lots of things upside and over you head, so what's new?
True.. Because gravity works... and most often that is an advantage.. Just thought I would try something new.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #12 of 30 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 9:02 am

Count me in for another "fix it before..." happy customer. It took me about 30 minutes to install. The only hard part for me was getting the little keys in place. The instructions said to push them in with a screwdriver. That wasn't happening. I had to tap them in using a solid punch and rubber mallet. Other than that installation was a snap. Now I can sleep easy...at least until I dream of FD and transmission woes...

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT
post #13 of 30 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Just ordered one of these replacement kits for my broken latch.
While I'm doing the installation, should I also do anything to change the shape of the latch that pushed up and around the pins on the top lid?
The pins appear to have been under extreme strain over the years with deep grooves worn in them.
Keir
post #14 of 30 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
While I'm doing the installation, should I also do anything to change the shape of the latch that pushed up and around the pins on the top lid?
The pins appear to have been under extreme strain over the years with deep grooves worn in them.
Keir
Keir,
If your latch is already broken, you need the "fix it after it's broke kit" and I think it comes with everything you need.
post #15 of 30 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:35 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Keir,
If your latch is already broken, you need the "fix it after it's broke kit" and I think it comes with everything you need.

That's the one I bought (not here yet). Didn't realize it includes the pins for the bits on the top lid too. Thought it was just the mechanism for the handle and some of the moving pieces on the bottom lid.
Live and learn.
Thanks for letting me know.
Keir
post #16 of 30 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
That's the one I bought (not here yet). Didn't realize it includes the pins for the bits on the top lid too. Thought it was just the mechanism for the handle and some of the moving pieces on the bottom lid.
Live and learn.
Thanks for letting me know.
Keir
I'm sorry Keir, I misunderstood you. I thought you were refering to the pins inside the latch assembly. I don't think the kit includes the pins on the lid.
post #17 of 30 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Keir
Keir,

Your Replacement Latch Handle was shipped today. Roblee55, you're a funny man, it took me a minute to catch the humor!

I would advise to lubricate the latch hooks and pins with a waxy lubricant, like what you would use for the door latch strikers and door detent mechansim on your car. I have a waxy lube stick here called "Door-Eze", or something like that. Or don't use lube. The worn pins already provide some relief, keep 'em!

The part you bought should be sufficiently strong that you will not have to deal with it again. The kit does not come with those pins. It's on the way! Thanks for your business, all of you guys!

Evan
post #18 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Evan

Received and installed the "fix it before it breaks kit" today on an 05 with CLS, (Central Locking System). It took me about 2 hours since I removed the top case. It takes a little extra time as when you remove the top case you will need to reconnect it to the power points so you can first lock it with the remote the first time and do a test as recommended part way through the assembly. Everything went well, excellent design, machine work, quality and instructions.

As for doing it in 15-20 minutes and leaving the top case in place I hope you guys will be at the CCR as I will bow down to you and pay homage as some type of mechanically inclined Gumbie super hero!

Take care.

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'
post #19 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Received my "before break" kit today and installed it in about 2 hrs time. My clock started when walking into the garage and ending as i washed my hands. I also removed the top case to make the job easier. I don't see how this mod can be done while the topcase is on.

I needed my stronger pair of reading glasses for up close work.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #20 of 30 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:54 am

Received mine this week and installed it yesterday. Taking the top case off is a must, especially if you have the locking system. Plus, you can take it inside and work on it in a cool house rather than a garage. True for me at least.

This is a great product. Well made and fairly easy to install. Certainly worth the money and time for piece of mind.

Ken
post #21 of 30 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:03 pm

The CLS option really doesn't make the installation any more complex (except you do have to push the "Lock" button on the key chain with the latch handle open...this is to provide clearance for the "Foundation" to be installed).

I can install the kit with or without the CLS (central locking system option, electric case lock) in under 15 minutes without removing the trunk case from the bike. Maybe a bit awkward for those who haven't done it.

I'd imagine that everyone who has installed the kit could do it in 1/4 the time if they did a second installation!

Thanks for the kind words, guys! This has been a neat little 'recession-fighter' project/product for me. Selling pretty well, keeping me busy mailing stuff! Thanks, Evan
post #22 of 30 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:11 pm

+1

It took me close to 2 hours. I had to force the locking pins in to be flush.
I did not have to take the top box off.

Highly Recommended

Quote:

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Last edited by MattKas; Jun 19th, 2009 at 12:12 pm. Reason: adding
post #23 of 30 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Evan,

Now that you have apparently solved the trunk latch problem are you going to tackle the Final Drive problem next?

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #24 of 30 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Easy to install, less than 1 hour first time around. The latch feels much more solid now.

Thanks for a great product.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #25 of 30 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 4:25 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Installed my repair kit today. Works great. Very clear, complete instructions!
Still taking alot of force to close the latch ... clearly dragging heavily as it engages the appropriate parts on the top case.
Is there a way to make this whole thing work a little smoother, but still close tightly?
Keir
post #26 of 30 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Installed my repair kit today. Works great. Very clear, complete instructions!
Still taking alot of force to close the latch ... clearly dragging heavily as it engages the appropriate parts on the top case.
Is there a way to make this whole thing work a little smoother, but still close tightly?
Keir
Yes. Remove the latches and file the underside and then polish it with fine sandpaper and emery cloth. I did this to mine shortly after buying it and the latch operates much more smoothly and so far has not broken. The underside of the catches were simply "as stamped" with a ragged shear mark on them. Filing this off along with a little more metal makes the surface much smoother where it engages the pins and also reduces the clamping pressure a little.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 30 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 1:50 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Great New Product for LT's

Finally got around to installing this and man what a GREAT Product this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not imagine what it took to reverse engineer this.

Not hard to do, and you sure can see what it is doing and replacing, it is 1000 times better.

I had read a long time ago about the latches being stamped so I had intended to smooth them and did. It still is a bit to close, but the feel of the handle closing is VERY different now.

I have to say I have dyslexia so if I can do it, anyone can.

Hey hows that for a slogan " So easy even a Dyslexic can do it"

Not one issue with the CLS either, not sure how you would get into that trouble unless you did not lock it with the handle open before you started ?

I did follow the trend and removed my top case also. Of course I just wanted to ride it without to see what it was like

It did cost me two trips to the car port. One when I needed to lock it to start, and second to test the CLS. Both my fault as I read the instructions after I had the box in the house

Just thought I would add to the thread and praises, it is a VERY sophisticated fix for a piss poor choice of materials from OEM.

+10 on this product.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Jul 10th, 2009 at 2:01 pm.
post #28 of 30 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Um, I'm sure this product works great, but it costs $123. Does anyone else see something wrong with that?

My solution is considerably less and just as effective. Small drawer hinges & some strong glue. Cost's a few dollars.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...508&lpage=none
post #29 of 30 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 4:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
Um, I'm sure this product works great, but it costs $123. Does anyone else see something wrong with that?

My solution is considerably less and just as effective. Small drawer hinges & some strong glue. Cost's a few dollars.

And how do these hinges replace a LATCH???

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #30 of 30 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 5:03 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno

I think you are mistaking this product with the repair to the dreaded vanity mirror breaking and using a piece of piano hinge to repair.

You need to go to the web site and see what this is all about.

http://lttrunklatch.com/

This is just short of amazing in design for the known problem of the Trunk Handle Latch snapping in either corner. You can search on that also and read and see what is being done by this product.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in