right side turn signals not working. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

right side turn signals not working.

On the way home today I turned on the right turn signal to signal a rt turn, nothing, does not show on the dash, completely dead. They were working fine earlier. Left side works fine and shows on dash. The other buttons on the right handlebar work fine. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Re: right side turn signals not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
On the way home today I turned on the right turn signal to signal a rt turn, nothing, does not show on the dash, completely dead. They were working fine earlier. Left side works fine and shows on dash. The other buttons on the right handlebar work fine. Any ideas?

Boy Mike, I haven't dug into your problem much at all, but first instincts say bad switch.

I'll bet John Zeiler may have some input if he's around.

I'm not sure right off were you can ring out the switch wires. I'll see what I can find out in case no one else replies.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John, I am sure it is something simple. I even tried the hazards, they only work on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Boy Mike, I haven't dug into your problem much at all, but first instincts say bad switch.

I'll bet John Zeiler may have some input if he's around.

I'm not sure right off were you can ring out the switch wires. I'll see what I can find out in case no one else replies.

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks for the voice of support John. I did 655 miles today and have settled into the motel room in Tyler, TX.

Unfortunately a review of possible causes, given what works and does not work, leaves me with the rather expensive (120) flasher unit as the most likely culprit. Unless you can find the splice point where that side is tied together after the output of the flasher. That wire color , for all years , is blue black. You may find a broken wire, Oh and the flasher is ,of course, inside the electrical box under the tank.

One more quick check before I pronounce... Do they both light when the alarm is engaged/disengaged?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 2:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back with this one, the flashers only work on one side when the alarm is engaged, only thing that was done within the last couple of days was change out the rear shock, I did take the tank off to do it, so I could change out the fuel and air filter while in there at the same time. Do you think I might have pinched a wire putting something back on? I will probably pull it all apart later today to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Thanks for the voice of support John. I did 655 miles today and have settled into the motel room in Tyler, TX.

Unfortunately a review of possible causes, given what works and does not work, leaves me with the rather expensive (120) flasher unit as the most likely culprit. Unless you can find the splice point where that side is tied together after the output of the flasher. That wire color , for all years , is blue black. You may find a broken wire, Oh and the flasher is ,of course, inside the electrical box under the tank.

One more quick check before I pronounce... Do they both light when the alarm is engaged/disengaged?
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 4:51 am

Have you checked the bulbs, swap the working side ones to the other side, not sure if its same on bike, but on cars i have had if a bulb fails that side does not work, as im a cheapskate i always start with the cheapest item.
Regards
Stevie
post #7 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 5:43 am Thread Starter

If you have a bulb out on one side , the remaining bulb will flash faster than normal on the LT, but I will try the swap, thanks.
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 5:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had a bulb go out on the 05 and the indication, IIRC, was the dash light came on but would not flash. I know it was different than the load depenent flashers that cars use, so maybe a bulb out could cause this. Worth a try. The chances of pinching a wire when doing the tank is very slim.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Thanks John, I am sure it is something simple. I even tried the hazards, they only work on one side.

Given that bit of info as well as the follow on stuff. Sounds like John's idea of the flasher unit is probably pretty accurate. Especially since the indication isn't showing on the dash.
But do trace that wire from the flasher as far as you can. The Clymer diagram shows pin 6 on the flasher unit is the 12 vdc for the right side, all bulbs. Also, FWIW the Clymer shows this as brown on blue, but the Clymer has been known to be inaccurate in the past.

You might be able to swap the wire , or jump to pin 12 on the flasher, which is for the left bulbs, to confirm a flasher failure of the right circuit. The left circuit appears to be orange on blue at pin 12.

I don't know how your flasher unit faults for bad bulbs either, maybe that could be the problem. Let us know and good luck.

John Z, have a nice trip to Texas and stay cool .

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 9:54 am Thread Starter

John B, and John Z.
Thanks for the info, I even tried swapping bulbs around, did not do anything. I did notice this morning first thing, as I turned the bike on, there was a slight green glow on the dash for just a second right as I switched the turn signal on, then nothing. I will pull it all apart and see if I maybe pinched a wire when I took the tank off, or else I will see if Jack can trouble shoot it when he gets back into town. I try to stay away from wires as much as possible. I will have him read your post so he can follow it.
post #11 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Hey Mike....you wiped that silly grin off your face yet?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: right side turn signals not working.

got your gps to show 209....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Hey Mike....you wiped that silly grin off your face yet?
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Well, that's 3 mph faster than the max speed I recorded!!!!

Hey...I got all the plastic, stingray, tank, etc...etc...etc off this evening. Even opened the electrical box and peeked inside But, I did not yet try to diagnose it as I am a bit tired FROM JUST GETTING TO IT!!! BTW, your fuel tank is about FULL and weighs 267 lbs!!!

Anyway, I will spend some time tomorrow (Tues) in troubleshooting the relay, switch, etc. Just wanted to be "fresh" when chasing the electrical gremlins.

When I get the turn signals working, I'll call ya so you can come over here and put this ten tons of plastic back on this thing!!!!

Don't worry...she'll be working soon.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #14 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 9:47 pm

The turn signals are now working!!!!!

SUMMARY:

1. John was right! It was the turn signal flasher
2. It was in the electrical box under the tank

RUB IT IN ON YOU OTHER POOR SOULS WHO HAVE TO TAKE YOUR BIKES TO A BMW SHOP INFORMATION:

At my shop, Mike got his LT repaired for the cost of parts only...labor was FREE.
He wisely got a $120. flasher for less than $50. from cycles recycled (Good move Mike!)

And...to boot...I even gave him a nicely loaded '06 K1200GT to ride as a "loaner" for a few days while I perform the repairs!!!! Now...how's that for service!!!! Friendship does have it's benefits (and he would do the same for me!).

BTW Mike, your LT will be "re-dressed" and ready for pick up tomorrow or Friday...take your time and enjoy!

Disclaimer: Pastor's Bike Works - our warranty???? "If it breaks, you get to keep BOTH pieces!"

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #15 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
The turn signals are now working!!!!!

SUMMARY:

1. John was right! It was the turn signal flasher
2. It was in the electrical box under the tank

RUB IT IN ON YOU OTHER POOR SOULS WHO HAVE TO TAKE YOUR BIKES TO A BMW SHOP INFORMATION:

At my shop, Mike got his LT repaired for the cost of parts only...labor was FREE.
He wisely got a $120. flasher for less than $50. from cycles recycled (Good move Mike!)

And...to boot...I even gave him a nicely loaded '06 K1200GT to ride as a "loaner" for a few days while I perform the repairs!!!! Now...how's that for service!!!! Friendship does have it's benefits (and he would do the same for me!).

BTW Mike, your LT will be "re-dressed" and ready for pick up tomorrow or Friday...take your time and enjoy!

Disclaimer: Pastor's Bike Works - our warranty???? "If it breaks, you get to keep BOTH pieces!"
Nice work Jack. I'll bring mine by Friday. I'm sure I can find something that needs fixed.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 6:16 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: right side turn signals not working.

Thanks to Jack for all his hard work again on the bike, and thanks to John Z. and John B. for the info needed to diagnose the problem. Will be by 3rd Friday in November to return the GT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in