spinning the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 10:37 am Thread Starter

spinning the LT

awhile back i remember someone here who was able to spin their LT 180deg. while it was on the center stand,,i did do a search but couldnt find the thread about doing that ,,any way, i got a nice 3/16s 12x12 stainless steel plate, i put the center stand on it , but the lifting leg of the stand digs into my garage floor if i try to spin the bike,,any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 10:44 am

Re: spinning the LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
awhile back i remember someone here who was able to spin their LT 180deg. while it was on the center stand,,i did do a search but couldnt find the thread about doing that ,,any way, i got a nice 3/16s 12x12 stainless steel plate, i put the center stand on it , but the lifting leg of the stand digs into my garage floor if i try to spin the bike,,any ideas ?
Bigger plate, maybe??
post #3 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:07 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

HERE you go
THIS is a video of how it works

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
HERE you go
THIS is a video of how it works
thanks ...but thats not what i was refering to,,,,some one here was able to just spin the bike around on their garage floor while on the center stand
post #5 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 1:45 pm
WAL

I do remember hearing something about this. Not sure where to find it at though. I think it involved pushing down on the rear of the bike (so both wheels are off of the gound) while spinning it around?
post #6 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Talking Re: spinning the LT

Not sure about the LT, but I can assure that I was able to turn my 1974 Norton 850 Commando around completely while on the center stand using only a light finger pressure! Of course that was while the twin was idling. You'd be amazed at what just a little vibration can do. That Bike would go straight sideways if I wished, as long as that engine was purring!

Memories!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:10 pm

There are at least a couple of turntable products out there that let you park a bike on it and then turn it around, so you can ride out the way you came into a garage. Also, some guys have made their own "lazy Susan"-type device, using a heavy-duty round bearing and a piece of steel.

That said, if you are referring to literally spinning the LT just on its center stand, wouldn't that put a lot of stress on the stand -- stress for which it was not designed?

Google has several lazy-Susan type products, and there are some home-grown versions discussed on this site.

Here is a product I looked at yesterday. $1175+shipping!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 9:58 pm

here's one company that has some: http://www.turnabike.com/
Also I remember a BMW MOA article about a guy who built his own about 10 years ago. He actually used a BMW sign as the turntable. Don't know if the MOA would have a reprint or not. I've moved so many times I wasn't able to keep my old mags or I'd copy it and send it to you.
post #9 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
well i did find a couple of ideas on google,,,one using furniture sliders and a peice of plastic..think ill try that first...the other was building a spinner using a lazy susan and a plank
post #10 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 12:19 pm
Old Dawg

If you have a smooth concrete surface you can spin your LT on the center stand super easily! Just push down on the rear case rack a bit to get the front tire off the ground and spin. I do it all the time. For a lot less then buying something I will take a video for you .

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #11 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
If you have a smooth concrete surface you can spin your LT on the center stand super easily! Just push down on the rear case rack a bit to get the front tire off the ground and spin. I do it all the time. For a lot less then buying something I will take a video for you .
how do you keep the center stand lifting leg from digging into the floor? im thinking of grinding some off so it doesnt drag on the floor
post #12 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
well i did find a couple of ideas on google,,,one using furniture sliders and a peice of plastic..think ill try that first...the other was building a spinner using a lazy susan and a plank
i bought furniture sliders,i had to ride over some 1/2 in. ply wood to get a little more clearance ,,but i was able to spin the bike in the garage,,not really sure how long the sliders wil last,they are not made for 850lbs
post #13 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I pull into a tight area, put the bike on the center stand and then just gently rotate the bike on the center stand. I am not sure how likely to pop off the center stand it is. I have not tried going all the way around, I guess this would be possible though. I have bought some heavy duty casters that I will use to weld up a center stand dolly.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #14 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 11:14 am

I have been using the TurnaBike turntable since I bought my 07 new. My driveway has a slope right out the door and I didn't want to back it down. I works great. I use the power center stand to stand it up every night on the turntable and just walk it around.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #15 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchnerb
I have been using the TurnaBike turntable since I bought my 07 new. My driveway has a slope right out the door and I didn't want to back it down. I works great. I use the power center stand to stand it up every night on the turntable and just walk it around.

Bruce
Bruce, what technique do you use to get the LT center stand positioned correctly? I assume you ride into the garage, stop on top of the Turnabike, and then deploy the center stand.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Old Dawg

Quote:
how do you keep the center stand lifting leg from digging into the floor? im thinking of grinding some off so it doesnt drag on the floor
It has no effect at all on spinning the bike. I will take a video tonight and post it. Have you tried spinning it from the tail rack yet? It is so easy.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #17 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I spin mine all the time. Just pivot the bike so both tires are off the ground...Yeah it makes a funny noise every once in a while when the cement floor is not smooth...give it a try..soon you will love the manoeuvrings. My BMW dealer showed me how to do it when I bought my new 09 LT.
post #18 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Bruce, what technique do you use to get the LT center stand positioned correctly? I assume you ride into the garage, stop on top of the Turnabike, and then deploy the center stand.

Look down. You quickly get a feel for where you need to be. If you miss just pop it down, reposition and raise it again. There is plenty of room on the turntable and it is very forgiving if you are off center. I usually start with the turntable a little behind the foot pegs.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:07 am

Morning,
Here's a video of a guy pulling into his garage and putting the bike on what looks like a piece of wood, putting it on the centerstand and turning the bike to face out of the garage. Looks super simple!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOyr_...eature=related

John

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #20 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 10:08 am Thread Starter

as stated before ,my center stand lifting arm would scrape the floor as i tried to spin the bike,so i used my grinder on it and i have enough clearance now to put the center stand on a peice of stainless steel and spin everything around,,,works great
post #21 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 10:18 am

Quote:
awhile back i remember someone here who was able to spin their LT 180deg. while it was on the center stand,
That might have been me, I recall responding to a thread and saying how easy it is to "spin" the LT on the centerstand, obvious many others do this as well.
I only do this occasionally to get at things in my small garage,
if you're planning to do this everyday some kind of turning device is probably cheaper than a BMW centerstand, after all it is an eight hundred pound machine.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #22 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Get two plates (or heavy sheet metal) and bolt through the center of them with an "elevator bolt" available at your local hardware store. Use a nylon insert nut to hold the bolt in place leaving it loose enough to freely turn the plates. Grease between the plates. Now you're spinning.

post #23 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 8:58 am

Grease plates are commonly used in aviation when doing nose wheel steering radius checks.

Two sheet metal plates(squares) with grease between them are put under the nosewheel which allows the wheels to turn freely on the hangar floor. Something similar to wheel bearing grease is used between the plates. I've never seen the plates bolted together but not a bad idea altogether.

I've never tried this concept for spinning the LT but it certainly works well in the above application.

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
post #24 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 9:36 am

I have been "spinning" (on the centre stand and a concrete floor) my k1200 for some time and recently the cross bar on the centre stand snapped!...all down to the force being exerted on the legs, with 800lbs above it! I now use greased plates ....no problems
post #25 of 25 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 8:55 am

Guys,
Get a 1/4" or thicker piece of poly around 16" square or circle. Put bike on center stand and spin. The poly is slick so it spins easily. No dragging on even the worst concrete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in