Need help! Starter solenoid is stuck on 2000 K1200LT....Any suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:33 am Thread Starter

Starter solenoid is stuck on 2000 K1200LT--DISREGARD--FIXED IT!

Didnt occur to me to do a search until after I submitted my query. Question answered and problem fixed. thanks to this site.

following a suggestion I found here,....I reconnected the battery with the key on...........the bike started immediately........hit the starter button once..........I could actually hear the starter disengage immediately....turned the key off and Silence..............whoo hoo!

I had forgotten to plug in the battery tender a few weeks back....and the slowly fading battery went down to almost nothing. I hit the starter button and it slowly cranked and did not start....and when I released the start button....it was still trying to crank over.....untill after just a few seconds....the battery ran completely down and the starter quit. Thinking that the low voltage situation had somehow caused the starter solenoid to stick...and realizing it was probably still draining the battery as I was standing there thinking it through....I grabbed some wrenches and removed the batter....let it cool (it was very warm) then put it on a battery tender.

I dropped the battery in this morning,....and as I feared,....as soon as I touched the ground cable to the battery,.....it started crankiing. so....I switched on the ignition key....let it start and run for a few seconds and then turned off the key to see if the starter would stop spinning.......NOPE...........still cranking away non stop.

did it several times.......every time I touch the cable to the battery.....it starts cranking.

Has anyone had any success rapping on the starter solenoid while it is cranking to release it when sticking?

Any suggestions????

Brian in Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wildwestrider; Jun 6th, 2009 at 7:46 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:31 am

Re: Need help! Starter solenoid is stuck on 2000 K1200LT....Any suggestions?

Hello Brian

Just bite the bullet and replace the relay as it is proved itself untrustworthy , it is false economy to risk starter motor damage ! BMW has an overpriced solution, still the same damm 90Amp relay contacts or you could graft in a starter relay(300+amps) from a late 80's Ford V8 pickup ,$10 and a afternoons work .

Bob G
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 10:27 am

Re: Starter solenoid is stuck on 2000 K1200LT--DISREGARD--FIXED IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
Didnt occur to me to do a search until after I submitted my query. Question answered and problem fixed. thanks to this site.

following a suggestion I found here,....I reconnected the battery with the key on...........the bike started immediately........hit the starter button once..........I could actually hear the starter disengage immediately....turned the key off and Silence..............whoo hoo!

I had forgotten to plug in the battery tender a few weeks back....and the slowly fading battery went down to almost nothing. I hit the starter button and it slowly cranked and did not start....and when I released the start button....it was still trying to crank over.....untill after just a few seconds....the battery ran completely down and the starter quit. Thinking that the low voltage situation had somehow caused the starter solenoid to stick...and realizing it was probably still draining the battery as I was standing there thinking it through....I grabbed some wrenches and removed the batter....let it cool (it was very warm) then put it on a battery tender.

I dropped the battery in this morning,....and as I feared,....as soon as I touched the ground cable to the battery,.....it started crankiing. so....I switched on the ignition key....let it start and run for a few seconds and then turned off the key to see if the starter would stop spinning.......NOPE...........still cranking away non stop.

did it several times.......every time I touch the cable to the battery.....it starts cranking.

Has anyone had any success rapping on the starter solenoid while it is cranking to release it when sticking?

Any suggestions????

Brian in Austin
while applying the battery cable.also press the start switch a few times it should pop free

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: Need help! Starter solenoid is stuck on 2000 K1200LT....Any suggestions?

There is no solenoid, just a relay. Hard to rap on it as it is in the electronics box under the fuel tank.

The BMW solution is a kit of a new type relay and wiring harness to replace the old one and it's socket. The new one has a voltage sensing circuit in it to prevent it from engaging when the battery voltage is too low, which welds the contacts on the older relay.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in