My Vanity is Affected - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:24 am Thread Starter

My Vanity is Affected

My storage box with vanity mirror in the lid of the top case of my 2009 K12000LT tends to come open while riding, spilling the owner's manuals into the top case. The magnet closure just doesn't do the job. Now the plastic hinge on which the lid to this doc. box has broken. It appears replacable on each side of the lid. Has anyone experienced the same issue and designed a fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:31 am

Re: My Vanity is Affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwingman
My storage box with vanity mirror in the lid of the top case of my 2009 K12000LT tends to come open while riding, spilling the owner's manuals into the top case. The magnet closure just doesn't do the job. Now the plastic hinge on which the lid to this doc. box has broken. It appears replacable on each side of the lid. Has anyone experienced the same issue and designed a fix?
I replace the plastic part for the hinge once and it broke agian after a year. May have overloaded the top case a bit
I just got some very small wood screws and put them in for the hing funtion of the mirror on my 02.

Sorry don't have a picture handy.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
post #3 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:38 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

It's a new bike, take it to the dealer for a warranty fix.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:57 am

My 02 might be different, but not long after I owned the bike, I removed several items because I know I would not be using them and they would be in my way or were prone to breaking. One was the mirror. ( haven't figured out the purpose of the mirror) The other was the 6 CD changer.

I prefer the space and don't have to worry about the mirror breaking. It's available for the next owner.... I keep all of the manuals, along with insurance and important documents in several ziploc bags in my tool bag. Also keep some rags and handywips there too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:34 am

High tech fix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 001.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	23315  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:54 am

You may just be putting too much stuff in there. The only thing that was in mine when I bought it back in 2002 was a couple of paper funnels. I keep the manuals, all 4 of them in the side case.

Steve

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #7 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 9:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
( haven't figured out the purpose of the mirror).
Hey Dan, my wife knows the purpose of the mirror. She's gotta check herself out in the mirror before we walk into a restaurant so that she knows what to be paranoid about.

+1 on putting too much stuff in that little cubbie. I keep my manuals in plastic under the bagliner in the top case.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
High tech fix
Yep - did mine similar back a hunnert years ago, and it's still swingin'!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vanity Mirror_IMG.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	23316  
post #9 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all. Good suggestions, fixes, and pics.
post #10 of 26 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Hey Dan, my wife knows the purpose of the mirror. She's gotta check herself out in the mirror before we walk into a restaurant so that she knows what to be paranoid about.

+1 on putting too much stuff in that little cubbie. I keep my manuals in plastic under the bagliner in the top case.
Has your lovely bride seen this post, Benny?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 26 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 7:41 am

You guys should try out SCUBA and see how you look after an hour or so under water..... Nose is running all over your face and all kinds of stuff in the hair.

Maybe that's why on the last diving trip off of Venice, Fl., Beach, last week, the boat captain was spraying us down with a hose after we surfaced and before he would let us back on the boat! Talk of "helmet hair." Here are a few of the sharks teeth we found on the bottom.

The strange one below the silver dollar is a prehistoric horse tooth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sharks teet v beach 6 2009 002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	554.7 KB
ID:	23330  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 26 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 8:50 am
Gold Supporter

For the repair, I tried a different approach. I found some thick wall aluminum tubing the same diameter as the pin, trimmed back the broken plastic arm. Drilled 2 or 3 very small holes in the remaining plastic arm and "stitched" it back together with high strength braided fishing line. Slathered a layer of 5 minute epoxy over the remains to create a keep everything in place.

I've used this technique over the years on a lot of small broken plastic parts with good success.

jrh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mirror_compartment repair.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	23331  

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #13 of 26 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Has your lovely bride seen this post, Benny?
Yepper, Steve! But if she hadn't, Dick would tell her at the next RTE, ....unless I buy him lunch.

She's a good sport. How else would she put up with me?

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #14 of 26 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Dan,
Do you sell any of those teeth for mounting into jewelry? I have seen some with friends that dive in the Keys, and they have turned out rather nicely. What type of recovery were you doing when you came across these?

I, too, am a diver and that type of "treasure hunt" is exactly the type of thing I would love. What depth and with what equipment were you able to discover such nice specimens?

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #15 of 26 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 6:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
Dan,
Do you sell any of those teeth for mounting into jewelry? I have seen some with friends that dive in the Keys, and they have turned out rather nicely. What type of recovery were you doing when you came across these?

I, too, am a diver and that type of "treasure hunt" is exactly the type of thing I would love. What depth and with what equipment were you able to discover such nice specimens?

John
Hi John,

Naaaaaa We just keep the little ones in a jar and the Megs on a flat trey as most have several imperfections and not really jewelry grade. I can't imagine wearing one around my neck. Habit forming to gather though and make a fun diving afternoon.

The SCUBA diving is rather basic, off of a local boat in the area, no more than a mile from shore at a depth of less than 30 feet. Millions of years ago this area must have attracted the Megalodon sharks and Manatees. We also find Manatee bones with serrations from the sharks teeth. The water temperature that day was 83 and the visibility was 5-10 feet. They are just sitting on the bottom in a rocky shell rubble of prehistoric stuff and there for the picking. Some are just out in the open and very obvious. Others are in hiding with just a tiny area sticking up.

I was told that there is a layer of clay below the sand that hold them and they gradually work their way up into the sand, based upon the wave action. Here is a link to the boat that the wive off of with a little more info..... Let me know if you are ever in the area and well "Ride to Dive!" Probably get Hans to go too.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 26 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 2:12 pm

after breaking and replacing replacing the stock hinge, the warranty replacement hinge, and a third one that i paid for myself, i concluded that the design was not trustworthy.

personally, i went to the hardware store, purchased a box marked - industrial strength velcro, and fabricated a strapping system that holds the door shut with velcro straps that run across the opening.

i keep the factory manuals, my service records in the technical manual, and the BMW supplied dealer freference and funnels in there.

havn't had a single issue since i put this 'fix' in place.

g.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #17 of 26 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:57 pm
Old Dawg

Almost everyone I know that has a broken vanity mirror had too much stuff in there. I wouldn't put much in there at all, maybe your registration and a map or something at most.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #18 of 26 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 2:15 pm

I have to keep reminding my SO that there's a mirror there. She's much more practical and just takes a look at herself in my rear views.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #19 of 26 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 4:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I never put anything in mine and it never pops open let alone breaks. There may be a pattern here somewhere................

post #20 of 26 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 7:39 pm

The vanity mirror on my '05 broke today. I've been keeping the manuals, the paper funnels (I have no idea why I have kept those...), proof of insurance and registration in that little pocket. I know it's "fighting city hall", but I can't see why following BMW's lead by keeping the manuals (the heaviest of all the above items) in the vanity pocket is overloading those cheap plastic hinges.

The right hinge broke. The left is still intact. For now, the manuals are riding in the toolkit in a side case, and the magnet and the left hinge are holding the lid in place. I'll have to mock up something permanently.

Does anyone know what this part costs to replace?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #21 of 26 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 7:52 pm

Howard I hate to say this, but IIRC you can't just buy the mirror. You need to follow Dick's repair.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 26 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 8:02 pm

Just back from checking bikebandit.com. It's $34.75. One of the home-built hinge solutions shown previously is probably the way to go.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #23 of 26 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 8:04 pm

What are the round items and the switch for, in this picture? Are they a set of home-made cigarette lighter-type power outlets?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 26 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 7:46 am

I've done a similar fix. My plastic hinges were nearly broken, so I put small metal hinges instead. I used tiny rivets to do the job, and it worked a treat.

I also replaced my broken mirror. I bought one of those cheap handheld glass beauty mirrors from Wal-Mart...you know..the kind that has a handle. It was about 8" x 8" with rounded corners.

Anyway, I cut the glass to the right size, few dabs of silicone, and I stuck it to the old (broken) one. I tried to remove the old broken glass, but despite my best efforts to heat the back of it to soften the adhesive, I just couldn't get it to pry out of there without breaking the plastic tray itself. So I said heck with it...and just put the new glass atop the old broken stuff.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #25 of 26 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 8:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
What are the round items and the switch for, in this picture? Are they a set of home-made cigarette lighter-type power outlets?
That's exactly what that is,
the switch powers the three outlet power plug (only when the ignition is on)
I use it to charge my cell phones etc.

under ten bucks at the auto parts store,
notched the plastic put a split rubber hose around it

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 26 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:34 pm

Talking Re: My Vanity is Affected

So, are you officially claiming to be the Swingin' Dick?

Sorry, just couldn't let that opportunity pass.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yep - did mine similar back a hunnert years ago, and it's still swingin'!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in