New O2 sensor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

New O2 sensor

On my trip to Vermont last weekend my bike started running a rich fuel mixture. It was down on power more noticeably after 3000rpm. Fuel milage went from 48mpg to 32mpg on the hwy. I just pulled the O2 sensor & its black. I remember reading a thread on buying a sensor at the parts store and splicing the BMW connector to it. I can't find it on the search form. If I remember right it was a Bosch sensor. Here is a picture of my sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBD Weekend 020.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	896.1 KB
ID:	23314  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Re: New O2 sensor

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/11781464492n.html Beemerboneyard carries the one I think you are referring to

oknplm

Perry
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 9:07 pm

This older post might have good info also.

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:15 pm

Hello Dave

I used a Bosch 15733 universal O2 sensor , today at oreillys auto $69
When mine went bad the bike ran fine , 34MPG and black smokey exhaust !
after replacement it maybe runs crisper and 50 MPG also replaced sparkplugs with NGK iridium at the same time - 30K miles and still running same .

Bob G
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:33 am

Plug and play O2 sensor

Try the part number is this link: clickity click

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
On my trip to Vermont last weekend my bike started running a rich fuel mixture. It was down on power more noticeably after 3000rpm. Fuel milage went from 48mpg to 32mpg on the hwy. I just pulled the O2 sensor & its black. I remember reading a thread on buying a sensor at the parts store and splicing the BMW connector to it. I can't find it on the search form. If I remember right it was a Bosch sensor. Here is a picture of my sensor.

Dave, I just installed the one from Beemer Bone Yard. Too much confusion on all the other parts numbers. Works great. Hope that is your problem, looks like it.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:22 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I just bought the universal Bosch 15733 O2 sensor. Advance Auto,AutoZone,O'Reilly & NAPA auto part stores all carry that part number which makes it easy to replace anywhere. My exhaust needs some welding & I'm waiting for some other parts from the dealer.

I won't have it running until at least wed. to see how it runs.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
I just bought the universal Bosch 15733 O2 sensor. Advance Auto,AutoZone,O'Reilly & NAPA auto part stores all carry that part number which makes it easy to replace anywhere. My exhaust needs some welding & I'm waiting for some other parts from the dealer.

I won't have it running until at least wed. to see how it runs.
I think that is the sensor Beemer Bone yard sent as well. With the posi-lock slice kit included?

My exhaust is broken in that collector strap area as well. I'm waiting until I have it apart in the future to have it welded locally.

Are you sure your fuel pressure is up to snuff? That other post mentioned 40 PSI, maybe you have an internal tank leak as well. Causing a full rich condition. I saw you guys checked it with pinch pressure and you probably put a gage on it when you got home. Just curious.

Good luck

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 12:56 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

When I fire it up this week I will have a pressure gage on it. The front header pipe copper gasket blew out & the collector is cracked at the cat. Also another crack between the cat. & muffler. There are signs of excessive heat from the cat. forward. That problem is fixed.

When I get it running this week I'll have Charlotte BMW run the codes. I spoke with Mark (the owner) yesterday. He has been to my house and seen my shop & understands that I do all of my own work. I still don't think the O2 sensor went first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
I think that is the sensor Beemer Bone yard sent as well. With the posi-lock slice kit included?

My exhaust is broken in that collector strap area as well. I'm waiting until I have it apart in the future to have it welded locally.

Are you sure your fuel pressure is up to snuff? That other post mentioned 40 PSI, maybe you have an internal tank leak as well. Causing a full rich condition. I saw you guys checked it with pinch pressure and you probably put a gage on it when you got home. Just curious.

Good luck

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 4:29 pm

If you check the files section of the forum under Tech Doc's there is an entry there that has the part number for a plug in replacement for the O2 sensor so you don't have to do any splicing.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 4:59 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
If you check the files section of the forum under Tech Doc's there is an entry there that has the part number for a plug in replacement for the O2 sensor so you don't have to do any splicing.
Thanks Bob. I have the part # of the sensor with no splicing but the part stores here don't sock it. I want to use a sensor that is available at most part stores as a stocked item. That way I'll be familiar with the installation so I can buy & install one anywhere I am.

I would much rather carry a part number than a spare part. I have only been ridding a K1200LT for 11 1/2 months now and still have a lot to learn about what tools & spare parts to carry.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in