Seat Compatibility for an "03 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Seat Compatibility for an "03 LT

I have done a search to try to answer this question, but so far I have not found the exact answer.

What is different about the '04 and later seats as compared to earlier models? Does this mean that a late model seat would have to be modified to mount on my 2003, or does it mean it would not work at all?

As always, I greatly appreciate any guidance that the esteemed membership might be able to share.

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Wink Re: Seat Compatibility for an "03 LT

05 and later are narrower in the nose, slightly less wide in the rear, have a more pronounced taper toward the front, have a thicker lumbar bolster pushing you closer to the bars and a different seat pan that sits lower in the frame. On 08 and 09's, the "soft touch" seat is now standard, it is simply an 05 and up seat with an extra layer of very soft poly foam. The height adjuster bar 05 and up has less "reach", so you can't get as high off the ground EVEN on the high setting. Staples are used to attach the vinyl on 05 and up versus rivets. The rubber bumpers on the bottom are mounted differently. "greige" (gray) was offered starting 05. The vinyl was changed in 05 to a softer look with no fake grain ridges. The 05 and up vinyl is not as slippery. The black color on the 05 is more of a charcoal black than true ink black of previous years. The pan on 05 and up is made from fiber tech instead of molded plastic. The polyurethane foam on the 05's and up is slightly more dense. The comfort seat offered starting 05 and up has stitches and two pressure causing seams exactly where you don't want them - nice!

I think that about covers it. But I may have missed something.

Generally speaking, larger guys favor the 99-04 seats where smaller guys like the 05 and later seats.

There is no doubt in my mind that BMW changed the seat JUST since they were getting so many complaints from smaller guys that they couldn't reach the ground when in the showroom. It was hurting sales...

They are all interchangeable with a little modifying/trimming that can be easily done in your home garage.

ALL of them pretty much suck from a comfort standpoint, but then again I have a rather biased opinion!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 5th, 2009 at 6:29 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Re: Seat Compatibility for an "03 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
05 and later are narrower in the nose, slightly less wide, have a thicker lumbar bolster pushing you closer to the bars and a different seat pan that sits lower in the frame. On the 09's, the "soft touch" seat is now standard, it is simply an 05 and up seat with an extra layer of very soft poly foam. The height adjuster bar 05 and up has less "reach", so you can't get as high off the ground EVEN on the high setting.

Generally speaking, larger guys favor the 99-04 seats where smaller guys like the 05 and later seats.

There is no doubt in my mind that BMW changed the seat JUST since they were getting so many complaints from smaller guys that they couldn't reach the ground when in the showroom. It was hurting sales...

They are all interchangeable with a little modifying/trimming that can be easily done in your home garage.

ALL of them pretty much suck from a comfort standpoint, but then again I have a rather biased opinion!
Ron;..........
As always you are a veritable wealth of information. I never had any doubt.

Have I ever mentioned that I am saving; even with-in the crux of this despicable economic paradigm; up for one of your seats......................

Keep the Faith and please do B-Safe.....................

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
Ron;..........
As always you are a veritable wealth of information. I never had any doubt.

Have I ever mentioned that I am saving; even with-in the crux of this despicable economic paradigm; up for one of your seats......................

Keep the Faith and please do B-Safe.....................
Thank you Kemo Sabe, and we won't make you wait 12 weeks or send 4 E-mails in order to get our attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 5th, 2009 at 6:33 pm.
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:31 am

Ron....do you still use the old fabric on your seats or is it all the new polar mesh?

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
Ron....do you still use the old fabric on your seats or is it all the new polar mesh?
Only Polar Mesh. More grip, more airflow, mo' bettah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2994.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	23318  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Having both and 05 seat and a '03 seat in the garage I don't know about the padding and build shape but I can tell you that the seat pans are the same, right down to the part number..........Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in