Share your lost key story - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Share your lost key story

A story that might be worth sharing.

Last night, I ran up to the local Holiday gas station to return a couple of movies and get gas... While I was there, noticed a guy with a VStar, one year old. Young man was on his hands and knees looking for the ignition key. He figured out it must have dropped into the engine housing. We looked literally for 45 minutes. Two Harley owners One Wing owner, One BMW owner- 5 guys looking for over half and hour. All strangers and all sharing odd motorcycle and lost key stories.

Meanwhile the owner took off every piece of clothing down to his shorts, even inside the boots to look. I love the occasional by passers who make the unique highly intelligent remarks like, "What are you looking for?",, or "what color is the key?" or "what does the key look like?".. came from a bright 18 year old high school girl. An old guy wanted to share his motorcycle days while we looked but was only good at giving direction and sharing the obvious. We tried tipping the bike, shaking it, used flashlights, a magnetic tool.. It was comical. 5 big duds looking for a single key.

The VStar owner was 30 miles from home, owned only one key, dealerships were closed.
Wife was pissed at him. After everyone gave up and discussed his evening options, I took one very last look, sure hell, found it lying on its side right next to one of the bottom engine ribs, stuck inside middle of bike.

Odd, i could even see it really. A pliers took it out. Man was he happy. Poor slug, reminded me of someone else I know. I of course, caught hell for being late for dinner. Price you pay for helping a fellow biker. But we were all pleased with the outcome.

It must not be that unusual of a problem because of the 5 of us, 4 had similar experiences with dropping a key inside the bike and having to dig for it. It happen to me just a week ago, (same gas station) that key flips out of your hand easily. The darn thing went inside the easter egg cover and i was just barely able to get it with my fingers. another inch it would have been a goner. I'm going to put a leather strap on it this week. And yes, I have two keys. A large key ring may not necessarily help, but you dont want something that will scratch the gas tank either.

Any similar stories or interesting endings the Forum might care to share?.. Any Fail-Safe system someone has? Is there a place on the BMWK1200LT where a ignition key could be hidden?,,, I'm not talking inside the trunk or wallet, assuming trunk is locked, and wallet lost the day before. Its always something.

Safe riding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:03 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Share your lost key story

Like wise, still on the first key from when the bike was new. Yes there are a couple of really neat places to hide a key on the LT, but if I told you it wouldn't be a hiding place. But it does fit between rubber and metal - you figure it out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Like wise, still on the first key from when the bike was new. Yes there are a couple of really neat places to hide a key on the LT, but if I told you it wouldn't be a hiding place. But it does fit between rubber and metal - you figure it out.

I'll take a look, thanks for the clue.

post #4 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:18 am

No comment!
I don't want to gynx myself!
post #5 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

I got it, in your tire!

Scott
2009 LT
post #6 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:15 pm

I had one on a short tether once that found it's way through a hole in the pocket of my vented Joe Rocket's. 45 minutes later found it in between the lining of said riding pants. Same type of frustration because I had a witness that saw me put it in my pocket at the table of the restaurant so we knew that it couldn't be far. I still have the original, one in my wallet, and a third backup at Fort Knox. I'm hoping that the 1600 will have retina recognition.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #7 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:47 pm

Duct taped on the bottom of the right hand side case.

I live in Europe so you are welcome to come and steal it.

Oh, and spare alarm fob in tool kit in left hand side case.
post #8 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:50 pm

I just returned from a 10 day, 5643 mile trip with a friend from Germany, and I did loose my key once, from the parking lot of a motel to the front counter. It was a total of about 20 steps and I lost the key! I went through all of my pockets, looked in my boots, searched the floor, the planters, the parking lot...I was about to pull out the spare I keep velcroed in the one panniers that I do not lock (nobody knows how to get in the panniers anyways) when my buddy found the key behind a leg of a chair by the front desk. Whew!
I have another friend that keeps a spare hidden in the fuel door of his LT, which scares me a little bit, but he never had a problem with it hidden there. I usually travel with an extra helmet, and since not much more fits in the side box with a helmet inside, that's the box that remains unlocked so I could get the extra key when/if needed.
Now that you know, don't tell anybody!
Rick

2000 K1200 LT
1973 R75/5
1999 Honda Africa Twin (sold)
1999 R1100 RTP (sold)
1998 R1100 GS (totaled)
1991 R100 RT (sold)
1988 Honda NR250 (sold)
1983 Honda CB350 (sold)
post #9 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:52 pm

Always keep my key in my riding glove, but somehow managed to lock my side case before putting the gloves in there and closing the latch!!!!!!
Had to get the spare brought over 200 miles to me

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #10 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:17 pm

Many years ago, July 4th weekend start of a 3 week 5K trip, 3 hours in, stopped for lunch. I always put the key in right front pocket of leather overalls. Came out of restaurant, reach into pocket, no key. 2 hours spent on hands & knees in parking lot, restaurant, manager took booth apart,so I could look there, in men's room, including trash. Finally found it right where I left it... in the ignition. Wife still gives me crap for that one.
post #11 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNTER1100
Many years ago, July 4th weekend start of a 3 week 5K trip, 3 hours in, stopped for lunch. I always put the key in right front pocket of leather overalls. Came out of restaurant, reach into pocket, no key. 2 hours spent on hands & knees in parking lot, restaurant, manager took booth apart,so I could look there, in men's room, including trash. Finally found it right where I left it... in the ignition. Wife still gives me crap for that one.
GREAT STORY.

post #12 of 26 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretaryrick
I just returned from a 10 day, 5643 mile trip with a friend from Germany, and I did loose my key once, from the parking lot of a motel to the front counter. It was a total of about 20 steps and I lost the key! I went through all of my pockets, looked in my boots, searched the floor, the planters, the parking lot...I was about to pull out the spare I keep velcroed in the one panniers that I do not lock (nobody knows how to get in the panniers anyways) when my buddy found the key behind a leg of a chair by the front desk. Whew!
I have another friend that keeps a spare hidden in the fuel door of his LT, which scares me a little bit, but he never had a problem with it hidden there. I usually travel with an extra helmet, and since not much more fits in the side box with a helmet inside, that's the box that remains unlocked so I could get the extra key when/if needed.
Now that you know, don't tell anybody!
Rick
INSIDE HELMET LINING GREAT IDEA, FUEL DOOR DOESNT SOUND LIKE THE BEST MOVE> SOMEONE MENTIONED DUCTAPE INSIDE A TURN SIGNAL,, you can always find a screwdriver on the road. Not sure what the panniers are. Guess the Forum is a little over paranoid on bike theft and hates giving up a secret code. Thanks for the suggestions.
Anyone wants to steal my bike, I'll forward you the address and hide key as Forum comes to a best idea practice..

post #13 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:45 am

Never actually lost a key..... but I left one at home once
and that caused me a lot of grief.

The setting: 25 years ago, had a fight with my (ex) girlfriend.

Went to a topless bar, chained my Harley to a pole out front,
came out at closing time and realized I had left the key to the chain at home.

Humbly called and had to ask her to bring me the key,
man was she pissed!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

It is entirely possible to open the trunk by turning they key and pushing the button, then immediately turning the key back to lock it again. Then you can pull the handle and tilt the trunk open and place the key on the now-horizontal section of the trunk lid (are ya with me so far?).

After rummaging around for gloves or whatnot, you simply close and latch the trunk, realizing before your fingers have even let go of the latch that the key is now inside the locked trunk.

Of course, this usually happens at some dumpy little gas station in the middle of nowhere.

It is also entirely possible (and way too easy) to grasp the trunk handle firmly with both hands and force it open swiftly, thus breaking off the two little plastic pins that keep it locked. Problem solved, although the trunk never did lock again after that . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Interestingly, I FOUND a key to my bike in it's proper hiding place. The PO had hidden a key on a small (breakable) zip tie inside one of the mirrors. I found it the first time I stripped her down for some work. I thought it was an excellent place to hide a key, as a non-BMW owner would probably not know that you can remove the mirrors with a good hard slap to get to the key.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #16 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Upon arriving at a hotel I will wheel the luggage cart to the bike (LT) and unload the bags from the side case and the bags strapped to the back seat. Lastly I remove the tank bag and key and go check in. Final look around, OK where's the key. After undoading the luggage cart, opening all the pockets & bags, just happen to unfold the magnetic flaps on the underside of the tank bag and out falls the key.
post #17 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Don't have a story . . . yet. I wear ATGATT and keep the spare in my jacket pocket. Put the spare in my pocket when locking the helmet and jacket on the cable.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #18 of 26 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Here's your sign!! (Bill Engvall)

Just got back from a 2 week job in south Texas and always kept remote and key on belt loop for work truck. One hour after getting home, I went to town to run some errands on 2005 K1200LT. Standard procedure for me to start bike is to turn key on then press 'unlock' on remote then start bike. Then decided it wasn't cool enough for leather jacket so I swapped it for old blue jean jacket. Well, guess where the remote stayed - in the leather jacket. Everything felt normal until I left bank to start bike up without the remote. The key ring in my belt loop was for the pick up truck I used for work. It was an expensive taxi ride home eleven miles out of town to retrieve BMW remote and back to bank. Now I keep spare keys and remote in saddlebag which I usually lock. If needed, saddlebag can be opened with ignition key.
post #19 of 26 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 2:14 am

It was the night before my move to Seattle. I was helping a friend find point locations for a 12 hour rally that would occur in Idaho after I moved. My wife had the U-Haul truck at the house awaiting my return home from my last day at work!

As a favor, I rode the LT up the mountain to the ski resort 20 miles outside of Boise after I left work. I had left a little early so I figured I could get the ski resort scoped out, find something obscure to put down as the item neeeded for the points and scoot home before my wife discovered what I was up to.

The ride up was amazing. Last day of April, absolutely no traffic, warm, twisty mountain road and a new job on MOnday. I arrived at the ski resort, found the item I needed on the emergency call board on the backside of the lodge, wrote down the detail and made my way back to the LT. Did I mention that this was a ski resort, early april and there was absolutely no traffic on my way up?? Jumped up on the seat, went to put the key into the ignition...and dropped it...down into that space under the handle bar, above the tank, but out of reach.

I looked, shook, reached, reached some more. FInally hit it with a finger tip, but couldnt get two fingers on it to get it out. After 45 minutes of trying, I admitted defeat and went tot he phone on the lodge to call my wife. Did I mention I was moving the next day??? I told her of my predicament and asked her to bring the spare key to me so I could get home. Have I mentioned how much I love this woman???

After a very short discussion about my ability to lose my head if it wasnt attached, she agreed to bring the spare key up. I knew that the temperature of the hot water I would be in would be directly related to my location on the hill when she made her way up, so I went to work. I found a wire securing the rain gutter on the lodge that I could remove to use as a reaching tool. I hooked the end and started the process of teasing the key into an area where I could grasp it. After about 10 minutes I had freed the key. I secured the gutter with the wire, donned my helmet and went tearing down the mountainside. I met her about a quarter of the way up the mountain...and I must say she did not appear amused in the least. I pulled over, told her I loved her and took off down the mountain in an attempt to get home before she did. Well, that and I wanted to keep a safe distance between myself and her car!!!!

By the time SHE arrived home, I had te U-Haul packed, dinner made, the bubble bath ran and the wine chilled. She laughs about it now, but I must say she was not amused with my last night in Boise antics! I told her that one never ignores a commitment made to a riding buddy. I told him I would get the information before I left town and felt obligated to follow through!

Last edited by Gene_Chapman; Jun 5th, 2009 at 2:24 am.
post #20 of 26 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 2:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Hey, I remember that ski resort. That was my first Rally, which I thoroughly enjoyed (despite getting barely an hour's sleep the night before). There are a lot of great roads up in Idaho.

And now that look she gave you in regards to the ski resort bonus makes a whole lot more sense . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 26 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 3:59 am

Unhappy Re: Share your lost key story

How funny I would see this post for the first time tonight. Took a load of my stationary power tools to our new house tonight (3 car garage!) and because I was moving aquariums/tools into the garage all day I had parked my bike/sidecar curbside in front of the house. So I show up at the new place with the load at 11:30 pm.

This is a quiet neighborhood! Checked pockets for key, no luck. Looked on seat of pickup and as luck would have there sat my spare key! Yippeeeee! Stuck key in ignition and hello new neighbors the alarm goes off! Scrambled back to truck and rifled through junk on seat. No luck finding the ring with the alarm fob. Now what? I feel like all my new neighbors are wondering what kind of inconsiderate idiot is moving in next door! Alarm still whooping! Suddenly remembered that little magnetic alarm stick thing that I left in the oddments compartment which I hastily retrieved before the whooping could start again.

The good news, I guess, is that the neighbors now know what kind of inadvertently inconsiderate idiot has moved in next door!

Kind of makes me glad that I am now down to 4 bikes from the 11 I had last Saturday. Can't even imagine the terror that would have gone through their minds as I wheeled the fleet into the garage. Probably going to be bad enough with 4!

Nuts,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 4:13 am

Just wanted to take a minute to thank all of you who have been looking for my key/alarm fob. I found it in the door side pocket of my pickup where it apparently landed when it fell from my pocket. BTW I met three of my new neighbors yesterday and they never heard the alarm.

Thanks for looking!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #23 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 6:20 am

I rarely remove the key, but when I do, it always goes into the same pocket of my riding pants. BECAUSE of previous stories on this forum, I try to be extra careful, not to drop it.

BUT, if I do, there is an extra key taped to a spot that accessible and almost invisible. Even if you look at it, because it is covered with black electricians tape, you will probably not see it. I think I even posted it on this site a while back.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #24 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNTER1100
Finally found it right where I left it... in the ignition. Wife still gives me crap for that one.
+ 1 on that--didn't look as long as you...I just chalked it up to oldtimers.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #25 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehly
I had one on a short tether once that found it's way through a hole in the pocket of my vented Joe Rocket's. 45 minutes later found it in between the lining of said riding pants. Same type of frustration because I had a witness that saw me put it in my pocket at the table of the restaurant so we knew that it couldn't be far. I still have the original, one in my wallet, and a third backup at Fort Knox. I'm hoping that the 1600 will have retina recognition.
Yep, been there. Was on my home in the middle of nowhere. Stopped for gas and the restroom. Got back to the bike, no key. Retraced my steps (maybe 75 feet to the restroom), nothing. Had just picked up the bike from a friend who included 4 or 5 spare keys with the paperwork which were all safely locked in the trunk. After 30 minutes of head scratching and searching every crack in the pavement I discovered my brand new, very expensive riding pants had a bad seam in the pocket. There was the key, safely hiding next to my foot. Needless to say before I even started the bike I opened the trunk and moved one of the spares to my wallet.
post #26 of 26 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 2:48 pm

No comment!
I don't want to gynx myself!

Ditto!!

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in