Clutch replacement at 12K - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Clutch replacement at 12K

I just brought my 06 to the dealership for its 12k svc and annual, for the past few weeks I noticed a dragging when starting off in 1st and if I needed to accelerate in 3 -4 gear around 3 -4k rpm my tach would spike and the bike was slow to engage.

The dealer called after the test ride and told me the bad news, the clutch is going. They are going to try a weep hole to see if there is any oil in the clutch (which would put it under warranty) but he basically said not to hold my breath. The estimated cost so far is $1500 for the clutch and @ $700 for the 12k +. $2200 and have only had the bike for 6400 miles, I purchased from Mark Niblette so I know the bike was meticulously maintained. This is very depressing .

My riding has been about 70% city on about a 40 mile trip - a lot of stop and go and I know Mark did tow a trailer. I would like to know about any others who have had this problem and what kind of riding you did.

I need to make a decision if the KLT1200 is suitable for the DC metro area, can not afford another $1500 at 24k (700 -800) to do it myself.

Thanks for in put.

Swamprat

06 KLT
02 LTC w/hannigan - sold
98 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500E - sold and my butt still hurts
86 Yamaha 1100 Virago (what a machine) - sold
80Yamaha 650 Maxim (from cradle to grave 72K)
75 Suzuki 400
75 Bultaco 250 MX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:30 am

Re: Clutch replacement at 12K

I am no expert, but I have not read of anyone here having their clutch go without the slave cylinder going. I can not see how this cannot be under warranty.

The good news is that once the weep hole is drilled the clutch cannot go again from this cause as the fluid drains out and does not enter the clutch area.

I feel your pain with the bike - I had several issues too. The issues drove me mad as they were excacerbated by the dealer. I got over it by doing EVERYTHING myself. I am much happier now and really do love the bike.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:46 am

Have a weep hole drilled in the clutch housing, that will tell you if there is any fluid in there.

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 6:46 am

I replaced my clutch at 19K. It was the slave leaking. It now has 56K on it. I ride it to work every day. I'd almost bet that your slave is leaking..................Good luck....

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
I am no expert, but I have not read of anyone here having their clutch go without the slave cylinder going. I can not see how this cannot be under warranty.

The good news is that once the weep hole is drilled the clutch cannot go again from this cause as the fluid drains out and does not enter the clutch area.

I feel your pain with the bike - I had several issues too. The issues drove me mad as they were excacerbated by the dealer. I got over it by doing EVERYTHING myself. I am much happier now and really do love the bike.

Good Luck.
Then you need to read some more. The clutch can also be contaminated by a bad engine output shaft seal leak or a transmission input shaft leak, besides the slave cylinder. When they go in to do the repair ask them to replace ALL the seals that go into the clutch area.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 8:15 am

Lightbulb Re: Clutch replacement at 12K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Then you need to read some more. The clutch can also be contaminated by a bad engine output shaft seal leak or a transmission input shaft leak, besides the slave cylinder. When they go in to do the repair ask them to replace ALL the seals that go into the clutch area.
Steve is correct.
I have been through this 2 X before, in addition to replacing the sprag clutch. One way to identify your clutch slipping issue without drilling a weep hole is the following. Look for oil on the bottom of the motor between the motor and the intermediate case . If present then the culprit is the rear main oring leak contaminating the fiber disc.
Drilling a hole in the intermediate case will help ID a fluid leak but will not prevent contamination of the clutch disc. I would also find a source for a viton oring in place of oem.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
The clutch can also be contaminated by a bad engine output shaft seal leak or a transmission input shaft leak, besides the slave cylinder. When they go in to do the repair ask them to replace ALL the seals that go into the clutch area.

Good call, I do recall reading that as well although it did not seem as frequent as the slave cylinder issue. Thanks for pointing that out.

In any event, assuming if the slave cylinder is covered a leaking main seal should be as well. I think only worn plates would not be a warranty item. It is pretty hard but not impossible to wipe out plates in 12k of riding.
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Good news! Re: Clutch replacement at 12K

I hope it isn't inappropriate for me to be the one to post the news first!

By some ironic twist of fate, I was at the dealer having the 600 mi. service done on my new RT when the service manager pointed out that my '06 LT (Swamprat's bike) was on the rack to start the teardown to find the source of the problem. He knows me, and knows that I don't thrash my bikes, but since there was no oil stain under the bike, he was afraid it was a dead clutch (something that, at 12K, didn't make sense to either one of us). He felt terrible about having to pass on the potential bad news, but didn't want to open up the bike without the owner knowing what might be ahead.

The good news part is that a couple hours later, the service manager lets me know that it was a seal leak (tranny input, IIRC), and he thought it would be covered under warranty! Great news (and a relief to me that it wasn't sumpin' it did! )

Also, FWIW (in case BMWNA is watching ) while I did install the towing set-up from my previous LTs, the fates intervened and I never did any significant towing before I sold the Bushtec and the hitch and harness to another list member.

This is one of those from-the-factory defects that was just going to manifest itself at some point -- if I still had the bike, it would have been me waiting for the news. I expect that this problem can be forgotten and a lot of good miles put on without further worry, as repeated leaks after these seals are replaced are very rare.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Re: Good news! Re: Clutch replacement at 12K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I hope it isn't inappropriate for me to be the one to post the news first!

By some ironic twist of fate, I was at the dealer having the 600 mi. service done on my new RT when the service manager pointed out that my '06 LT (Swamprat's bike) was on the rack to start the teardown to find the source of the problem. He knows me, and knows that I don't thrash my bikes, but since there was no oil stain under the bike, he was afraid it was a dead clutch (something that, at 12K, didn't make sense to either one of us). He felt terrible about having to pass on the potential bad news, but didn't want to open up the bike without the owner knowing what might be ahead.

The good news part is that a couple hours later, the service manager lets me know that it was a seal leak (tranny input, IIRC), and he thought it would be covered under warranty! Great news (and a relief to me that it wasn't sumpin' it did! )

Also, FWIW (in case BMWNA is watching ) while I did install the towing set-up from my previous LTs, the fates intervened and I never did any significant towing before I sold the Bushtec and the hitch and harness to another list member.

This is one of those from-the-factory defects that was just going to manifest itself at some point -- if I still had the bike, it would have been me waiting for the news. I expect that this problem can be forgotten and a lot of good miles put on without further worry, as repeated leaks after these seals are replaced are very rare.
Good to see your posts again Mark, or have I missed others?

Do not mean to sabbatoge this post but I thought you were a steadfast LTer.. how do you like the RT in comparison?

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #10 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
repeated leaks after these seals are replaced are very rare.
Perhaps but, 70,000 miles ago and 1 1/2 years( 97,000 at the time ) I had to replace the clutch due to oring failure. FWIW The LT is Hot Shit !

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugszy
Good to see your posts again Mark, or have I missed others?

Do not mean to sabbatoge this post but I thought you were a steadfast LTer.. how do you like the RT in comparison?

Mugz
Just became active again, now primarily on the RT side -- my self-imposed timeout was needed, but I'm ready to run amuck again

I definitely still give a to the LT. Among the reasons for the change to the RT are weight (I blew an ACL on my left knee ~3 years ago, and the ~250 lb lighter bike helps keep the complaints from down there to a dull roar), I found that several of the LT features that were not available on the RT back when I had an R11RT are now on the R12RT, and I'm not doing any significant riding that needs the two-up, Bushtec trailer towing capacity of the LT.

I only have ~570 mi on the RT so far, but I have to say I'm quite pleased. The motor is clearly a boxer, but in a smoother way than my airheads or SWMBO's oilhead. Easy access to most everything on the bike is a bonus (I could whip the tupperware off an LT with the best of them, but it was still a pita to get to most everything under the skin).

The one area in which the LT is still HANDS DOWN the winner is looks -- the R12RT is perhaps the second most ugly BMW in the last 20 years! (the R12ST has that prize all to itself! ) Frankly, the nose of the bike was what kept me from even looking, let alone test riding an R12RT for several years. Once I did, though, I was very surprised at just how good a bike it is. After getting hooked by the test ride, I figured that I could deal with the designers having beaten the bike with an ugly stick by remembering that when I'm in the saddle, I can't see the nose

To the OP: sorry for the hijack! Back to your thread

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Perhaps but, 70,000 miles ago and 1 1/2 years( 97,000 at the time ) I had to replace the clutch due to oring failure. FWIW The LT is Hot Shit !
Oh, didn't mean to say they don't happen, but a repeat of the same seal failing after an early-in-life,-from-the-factory-defective seal replacement is statistically *really* rare.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Actually there are a few of us who have worn out clutches early. I had to pay to replace my clutch at 15,000 miles. My "riding style" caused my failure. Kinda feel like I'm beating a dead horse here every time I post this, but you asked.

Steve
'04 LT
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 11:47 pm Thread Starter

I have not been able to post the unexpected and GREAT news Mortons dealership gave me. Mark I believe it is very appropriate for you to post this awesome news, just to have your knowledge back on the forum is a blessing and a ironic twist of fate. I have been wanting to ask you a question about the "eyes of god" and the switches (will send a pm in the future).
This morning I received the call that my bike is ready and that I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE $2K+ bill - YAHOO>>>>>

I think the best news for me is that my riding style and the commute did not take out the clutch - I am not ready to change bikes yet and to be honest I have been looking the past week+ and have yet to find a bike that makes me say anything beside "Yeah, its nice but......."

Welcome back Mark and thanks to all that posted.

Swamprat

06 KLT
02 LTC w/hannigan - sold
98 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500E - sold and my butt still hurts
86 Yamaha 1100 Virago (what a machine) - sold
80Yamaha 650 Maxim (from cradle to grave 72K)
75 Suzuki 400
75 Bultaco 250 MX
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 4:22 am

Hi guys

OK, this issue has been on\off trillion time on here and im STUCKED...

i got my bike in the shop and guy told me with confidence yes he can do it and NOW he is suddenly NOT,,and every loonie in this country seems to unite and say against me and you guys that whole engine must be removed before clusch can be changed,, so i need serious of pictures what i can print out what shows Step by step how to loosen up the engine and tilt it,, would some one be so nice and post it for me

also if some one has done hude LT'S Cluch change manual for DUMMIES,,I would in need of that Book,,,

oh yeah when i said im stucked i mean it, bike in pieces not 1month,,,so i really need HELP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in