Mystery switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Mystery switch

I was just working under the seat on my 2000 LT and found a aftermarket toggle switch underneath the right side fuse holder. It has a red wire and a black wire that come from under the top case on the back. As far as I can see it turns to the right side of the bike and disappears. They are factory wires and they are the only two wires in the sheath. They are wired so when the switch is on the circuit is closed between the two wires, in the off position the circuit is open.

I don't know when it was added or by whom as I am the third owner. I have had the bke for 8 months but had never noticed the switch. It is pretty hard to see under the fuse holder.

There is also a single factory brown wire with a white stripe coming from the rear of the bike. It ends with a male single post plug. I don't see the other half of the plug any where.

Anyone have any ideas what either could be? I am work and don't have a camera with me. Any swags would be greatly appreciated. I didn't change the position of the switch and won't until I know what it is. It might be an ejection seat switch or something cool like that.

Thanks,

Sean

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 6:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Mystery switch

Sean,

I don't think the red/black sheathed wire is factory since there was never a toggle switch under the seat. One thing if it goes to the top case is it could be for the interior light as I think the early bikes did not have a lid interlock.

If you don't have the BC computer that could the reason you have the Brown with White stripe as it plugs into the BC switch on the right side switch cluster.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

John,

The toggle switch is not factory but the wires that were cut and put on the switch look like they are a part of the factory wiring, same black casing with the same printing on it. The switch looked like it was positioned (jammed) under the fuse block so it could be reached just by lifting the riders seat.

I have a BC and it is operational, so I figure the brown wire wasn't a part of that. I figured it was a shot in the dark but was hoping someone might have done whatever mod one of the po's did...

Thanks

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 9:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only other circuits I found with a Brown/White wire were the Turn signals and side stand switch. But then BMW's wiring diagrams leave a lot to be desired. Especially the electronic version.

The red wire on BMW's is usually unswitched power so I am sure that switch turns something on. You will just have to experiment with it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for checking for me. I appreciate it.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

post #6 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:25 am

Perhaps someone used the switch to control power to a ICE, DICE or whatever to play an ipod in place of the CD changer. Without a power switch, the battery would be drained

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:31 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder
Perhaps someone used the switch to control power to a ICE, DICE or whatever to play an ipod in place of the CD changer. Without a power switch, the battery would be drained
the battery would drain if the ipod was left connected, if you are having a battery issue, i can only assume the you would simply disconnect the ipod. unless you really wanted to remove the tupperware we all have grown to love!!!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 5:10 am

Addendum: I mis-read the post. What I state below refers to a red/black wire (single wire) not a red and a black wire (two wires).
So....."Never mind."

Original reply:

Question for those who do have an anti-theft alarm: Do the lights flash and does the horn sound when the alarm is activated?

If the answer is yes, then I am even more confident that this wire is the power source for the alarm.

Under the topcase, back where the charcoal canister is/was located is a connector which is used to plug in the alarm system. If you don't have the alarm this plug will be present but unconnected.

Your prior owner may have used this wire to power something else and switch it under the seat. Some folks have installed a tire pump back there, seems reasonable to me that prior owner may have used the switch to power a tire pump or something.

Have fun.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jun 3rd, 2009 at 6:44 am. Reason: correction
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 5:48 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Do you have an alarm system on your 2000?
I suspect (using the process of elimination looking at the schematic) that this is the power source of the alarm system. Even if you don't have the alarm, you will have the connection.

Question for those who do have an anti-theft alarm: Do the lights flash and does the horn sound when the alarm is activated?

If the answer is yes, then I am even more confident that this wire is the power source for the alarm.

Under the topcase, back where the charcoal canister is/was located is a connector which is used to plug in the alarm system. If you don't have the alarm this plug will be present but unconnected.

Your prior owner may have used this wire to power something else and switch it under the seat. Some folks have installed a tire pump back there, seems reasonable to me that prior owner may have used the switch to power a tire pump or something.

Have fun.
yes the horn honks & the lights flash when alarm is set or turned off

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 6:11 am

I think I remember reading somewhere that several owners had cut the brown engine mapping wire and put in a switch. Most people simply cut the wire and taped the ends. I wonder if your switch could be related to this.

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 6:17 am

My previous owner switched the PIAA lights under the seats.
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
I think I remember reading somewhere that several owners had cut the brown engine mapping wire and put in a switch. Most people simply cut the wire and taped the ends. I wonder if your switch could be related to this.
That was my guess too. But without taking the top case off I won't know where the wires go.

Thanks.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

post #13 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokebadgers
That was my guess too. But without taking the top case off I won't know where the wires go.

Thanks.
Hey, Sean - take a read in this post and it might help in your diagnosis. I did a search on *brown wire* and got 7 years worth of reading material , butt you should be able to get to the root of the situation with a leetle help from others who have performed the 'mod' on the earlier year model LTs. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in