How do I remove highway paint overspray from windshield (and everything else)? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:01 am Thread Starter

How do I remove highway paint overspray from windshield (and everything else)?

Coming back into Colorado this afternoon from a 1700 mile ride in Utah, Montana and Wyoming, I found myself head-to-head with a highway center striping paint machine. Arrrrrrgh!!! I was stuck in slow traffic with nowhere to go, and despite getting as far off to the side as I could, the wind deposited a bright yellow polka-dot finish on the plexiglass windshield, and basically the entire front end of my black LT.

Anyone know how to get this stuff off a bike without taking the laminate or paint with it? I've heard that some of these highway paints have a fine reflective bead in them (to make them more visible at night) and any scraping or buffing can cause the bead material to scratch the surface being buffed. What a bummer way to end a great ride! Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 4:35 am

Re: How do I remove highway paint overspray from windshield (and everything else)?

These products will do the trick:

http://www.autopia.org/reviews/archi...ning_Clay.html

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #3 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 7:21 am

Re: How do I remove highway paint overspray from windshield (and everything else)?

Bob,

They do spray glass beads over the fresh paint once the paint is sprayed on the road. It's a separate spray head set behind the paint sprayer. They want the beads on top to reflect light and not in and under the paint coat. An easy way to check if you got beads would be to stand back and shine a light over the area. Hold the light alongside your head and look for the reflections. Most likely you just have the over spray without the beads. I'm working in an area with lots of construction and painting and will talk with those guys. I'll see what they recommend and check the post to see if you got is taken care of.

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:28 am

Believe it or not.....WD40. Spray it on, let it soak, then wipe it off. Works everytime. Won't harm anything.

Ken
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:36 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fattires
found myself head-to-head with a highway center striping paint machine. ...the wind deposited a bright yellow polka-dot finish on the plexiglass windshield, and basically the entire front end of my black LT.

Anyone know how to get this stuff off a bike without taking the laminate or paint with it?
Some years ago in Michigan a section of freeway produces some really nasty hot tar deposits on hundreds of cars, and the state paid each owner who filed. Take photos of the damage, contact the department of highways and file a claim.
post #6 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 9:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Highway paint today is nothing more than water based latex. They used to use oil base paints but stopped due to environmental concerns. If it were mine I would use either mineral spirits paint thinner or WD40 followed up with a good wax job. Make sure you wash the bike well before you start the removal process to get rid of any potential abrasives. Your paint is a base-coat clear which will tolerate the WD40 or mineral spirits without any problem. However the plastics in the windshield may eventually have some issues from the petroleum products. In any case stay away from Windex or similar cleaners on the windshield. It WILL do long term damage. Personally I use McGuires spray on detailer to clean the whole bike. It would probably do the trick as well, but I bet the WD40 is probably the easiest solution. Good luck with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 4:48 pm

clay bar kit - safe and effective

TBob
09 R1200 GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #8 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Hi guys,

You've all been terrific with the help. I really appreciate how many ideas I received in a very short time. I love this joint.

I tried the WD40, paint thinner (only on the body), McGuires detailer, & my now sorry looking thumbnails. Results: nadda - zero - uh-uh. (I did find out that indeed it does have the reflective paint mixed into the beads. That's something, I guess.)

Sooooo, I wrote Colorado DOT and the Governor's Advocacy office, sending them picture attachments of my bikes new polka-dot yellow design. I received an email answer within 10 minutes and a phone call just now, about two hours after the email. The CDOT manager who called said it being Sunday, it was most likely one of their sub-contractors, and that he would find out and follow up.

When I asked why this paint was so hard to get off he said that it was "most likely an EPOXY" paint that they now use in some areas! He said, yes, it would be extremely hard to remove. So I guess that means new windshield and maybe a paint job?

Why me, Lord? I've been a good boy (mostly).

At least it sounded like CDOT was not ducking their responsibility in it.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 5:49 pm

If you've got the reflective beads in the paint you quite likely have the epoxy or resin product. I know that when I worked an extra job as a motor officer with Georgia DOT contractors they mixed up bags of the pellets and the reflective powder and heated it. Then sprayed it on the roadway. It hardens QUICK! Cars were able to drive over it after the 2nd tail vehicle went by. They explained it's like a melted plastic. Sorry it's not good news for being able to get it off easy.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #10 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:16 pm

+1 on the clay bar kit. Clay Magic is by far the best and is available at most Auto Zone stores. Some of the others such as Mothers and the like are not that great. I've used it to remove polyurethane over spray that the strongest solvents would not remove. Clay Magic is sold under license from the original patent holder in Japan. It's hard to imagine how well this stuff works until you see for yourself!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:24 pm
Super Moderator

The painter that painted my GT top case used Easy Off oven cleaner to remove overspray from the gas tank on my R1100GS. Sprayed it on, let it sit about 30-45 seconds, and then wiped it off with a terry cloth towel. If you want to try this I would suggest starting in a small, less visible area, just in case. For the windscreen and other similar parts MacGuiers makes a plastic polish that should take it out.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Clay bar plus glass beads probably equals big scratches. I was not aware of the use of epoxies in striping. Man that really sucks big time.

Let us know what (if anything) takes it off.

post #13 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:23 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I am wondering if you heat gun it? If it is epoxy/plastic if you hit the right temp you may be able to pop them off a spot at a time. Maybe just setting it in the hot sun?

Just guessing but if it is plastic of some type it must be able to get pliable. I mean on concrete or blacktop I can see it staying stuck, but on clear coat paint with hopefully some wax on I would think it would release.

Just throwing it out there.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:14 pm

I hate to say it, but you might try lacquer thinner on an inconspicuous spot to see if it will lift the overspray without lifting the main finish. The chances are poor though.

Get to the manufacturer of the highway paint ASAP for their recommendation (if they have any). The glass beads make it particularly nasty though.
post #15 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:12 pm

Bob,
That must have been you that my friend Phil called me about. He works at the NAPA store in Silverthorne.

Sorry to hear about the paint mishap. For what it's worth, I told Phil that it sounds like a claim to CDOT or an insurance carrier was coming

GB

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

post #16 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

George,

Yes, while I was in the Napa store trying to figure out what products might cut through this junk, Phil was calling your house! He obviously had great respect for your experience and advice. Small world. Phil also told me a little bit about your having an up close and personal relationship with a bridge. Made my problem sound so small.

And, yes, the ball is in CDOT's court at the moment I'm hopeful that they'll follow through. Just in case, though, I've already got a claim number with Foremost.

Regards,

Bob
post #17 of 21 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: How do I remove highway paint overspray from windshield (and everything else)?

Final ruling:

(From Global Collision, BMW of Denver's recommended shop)
No solvents can remove the paint, which is enamel-based.
All painted surfaces where overspray has been deposited on the LT's body will have to be sanded and then re-polished.
Windshield, air deflectors, textured and chrome surfaces will be scoured with an abrasive, then re-polished.

Total cost = $1199.70
Look out for those highway paint trucks!
Foremost is covering the cost, minus deductible, and will go after CDOT for reimbursement.

As it turns out, the cost of cleaning the windshield (stock BMW / long) is almost as much as a new replacement. So I've been looking at threads on replacement windshields all around this Forum until I'm cross-eyed! Man, I haven't seen this many opinions since the last election...
post #18 of 21 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:55 pm
Super Moderator

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #19 of 21 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:57 pm

Here's my go-to progression of solvents from least to most agressive (depending on substrate of course):

rubbing alcohol
goo-gone
paint thinner (or mineral spirits)
lacquer thinner
acetone
MEK

I've also used silkscreen screen solvent for stuff.

Someone mentioned Easy-Off or other oven cleaner...
On my car wheels, the plastic kind with the greyish paint, I found that easy-off gets the baked on brake pad dust without damaging the wheel cover. I just had my brakes dones and forgot to specify ceramic pads, now I'll be doing that a lot more. grrrr.
post #20 of 21 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 7:23 am

You do not want the windshield to be scoured and repolished. The windshield has a coating that cannot be replaced. Just get a new windshield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fattires
Final ruling:

(From Global Collision, BMW of Denver's recommended shop)
No solvents can remove the paint, which is enamel-based.
All painted surfaces where overspray has been deposited on the LT's body will have to be sanded and then re-polished.
Windshield, air deflectors, textured and chrome surfaces will be scoured with an abrasive, then re-polished.

Total cost = $1199.70
Look out for those highway paint trucks!
Foremost is covering the cost, minus deductible, and will go after CDOT for reimbursement.

As it turns out, the cost of cleaning the windshield (stock BMW / long) is almost as much as a new replacement. So I've been looking at threads on replacement windshields all around this Forum until I'm cross-eyed! Man, I haven't seen this many opinions since the last election...

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #21 of 21 Old Jun 27th, 2009, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
You do not want the windshield to be scoured and repolished. The windshield has a coating that cannot be replaced. Just get a new windshield.
Agree. I've already ordered one (VStream).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in