LCD Screen contrast - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 31st, 2009, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy LCD Screen contrast

The LCD on my 2005 LT sucks! Unless the sun is behind me, the LCD panel in shadow is UNREADABLE. Plus the shiny plastic dash panel reflects the sun in my eyes as well. What a poor design of a control panel.

OK, enough venting.

Is there a way to improve the contrast on the LCD panel?

I may put black tape over the daylight sensors to keep the panel lit day and night.

This could have been a much better designed panel for a bike that costs this much to begin with.

This topic may have been covered previously, and if so, just point me at the post and I'll shut up.

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 31st, 2009, 10:24 pm

Re: LCD Screen contrast

Ive never had that issue.....

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:02 am

I've ridden my '06 in every lighting condidtion imaginable and have never had a problem reading the display. Do you use polorized lens sunglasses, they sometimes play havoc with LCD panels.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 3:08 pm

I have had no issues either (07). I also do not use polarized sunglasses, as they make seeing thru plastic tricky at best. In one of the cars, cannot read the radio panel with polarized glasses.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
I have had no issues either (07). I also do not use polarized sunglasses, as they make seeing thru plastic tricky at best. In one of the cars, cannot read the radio panel with polarized glasses.
I occasionally use polarized sun glasses and have not had a problem reading the LCD on my '07. On the other hand, polarized sunglasses make it difficult to read my Garmin GPS which is the primary reason that I avoid using them. I'm sure you know that you can vary the brightness of the (orange) gauge lights and LCD backlight for night time viewing. I don't know if that has any impact on the LCD contrast during day light.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #6 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:54 pm

maybe your sensor is blocked or broken???

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

My sunglasses are NOT polarized.

I have read MOM and find NO adjustments for either brightness or contrast on the LCD panel for my 2005 LT. If there is an adjustment for brightness I'd love to know about it.

My GPS I can read fine except for when the sun is coming over my shoulder. However, I can hold my hand up and block the sun and then read it just fine.

So, I'm glad you've never had the problem, but I do and am still convinced the LCD is way under brightness and contrast.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker
[snip]... I have read MOM and find NO adjustments for either brightness or contrast on the LCD panel for my 2005 LT. If there is an adjustment for brightness I'd love to know about it. [end snip]
If the '05 manuals are the same as my '07 manuals, see page 31 of the Riders Manual related to On-board computer Display dimming where it explains that "the brightness of the backlit multifunction display is variable."

If you still can't find it: The Trip Reset button, when pressed once (not held down like you would to reset the trip meter) toggles the level of dimming display. Each time you press the button the brightness increases one level until max. After max, each time you press the button it decreases it one level. As I stated in my prior post, you can adjust the brightness but it it may not have an effect on contrast.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #9 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
If the '05 manuals are the same as my '07 manuals, see page 31 of the Riders Manual related to On-board computer Display dimming where it explains that "the brightness of the backlit multifunction display is variable."

If you still can't find it: The Trip Reset button, when pressed once (not held down like you would to reset the trip meter) toggles the level of dimming display. Each time you press the button the brightness increases one level until max. After max, each time you press the button it decreases it one level. As I stated in my prior post, you can adjust the brightness but it it may not have an effect on contrast.
so, the same button that changes the mileage display from total mileage to Trip A and Trip B is also controlling the brightness of the night time display? wow! I'd have never guessed it. Thanks.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 4:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: LCD Screen contrast

I'd like to know if that works because every time I press that button the display moves on to the next function.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 6:08 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker
so, the same button that changes the mileage display from total mileage to Trip A and Trip B is also controlling the brightness of the night time display? wow! I'd have never guessed it. Thanks.

That feature was added between 06 and 07 after complaints that the display was too bright at night and is NOT available on the 05. I guess you could always order a newer dash assy $1,500!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in