Spark Plugs for LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 31st, 2009, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Spark Plugs for LT?

Any one out there with good alternatives for spark plugs for the K1200lt? I'm looking to see if there is something better than the standard Bosch plugs for my 2000 LT. I've looked at a few threads but most are more than a few years old. There seems to be plenty of new plug technology available. Not looking for any new fangled ronco plugs as seen on tv but some honest alternatives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 31st, 2009, 9:37 pm

Re: Spark Plugs for LT?

I've used NGKs from Advance Auto the past two changes. Whopping $2.39 each. The ones I took out a couple weeks ago looked nearly as good as the ones going in. I believe they can run longer than the 12,000 miles the maintenance schedule calls for.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 11 Old May 31st, 2009, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Hi Lee,

I have the twin to your bike! Which plug number? I'd like to look at a Iridium or double platnum.

John

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: Spark Plugs for LT?

I didn't hear much on plugs except from Lee and the NGK's. I was able to find NGK DCPR7EIX (iR) for $6.99 each at O'Reily Auto (our old Checker Auto). They didn't have in stock but will have them this afternoon. Looks like a good plug at a good price. Will let you know how it goes. I just completed a Valve check and replaced all my intake valve buckets and a few exhaust. New oils and filter checks so with the plugs, should run as good as new. 57,000 miles at this time and still going strong!

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:55 am

John, Sorry late getting back to this thread. In 2004 I put a set of Splitfire TP416D plugs in my LT. The bike ran well and I had almost 70,000 miles on them when I totaled the bike in 2007. Digging through my notes today and the web they are no longer being made to fit the LT. The only thing I see now along those lines are a plug called a DiamondFire E3 for the LT. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm gong to consider them, as the E3.36 shows as the TP416D replacement on the Splitfire site. Probably more expensive than what you're looking at, but just something else some has used.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks, I'll see what they cost and if they can be had at O'Riely auto. Going over there now.

John

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 4:34 pm

Try

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cr...7EIX&x=52&y=16

I am happy with NGK Iridiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsp310
Steve,

Thanks, I'll see what they cost and if they can be had at O'Riely auto. Going over there now.

John

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
------------------------------------- The only thing I see now along those lines are a plug called a DiamondFire E3 for the LT. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm gong to consider them, as the E3.36 shows as the TP416D replacement on the Splitfire site. ----------------------------------------.
I looked at the E3 website, and see that they do not offer platinum or iridium tips. I also see a LOT of snake oil advertisements for the E3 plugs for everything from lawn mowers up. None of their exorbitant claims make any sense at all. There is precious little anyone can do in spark plug design to make one work a lot better than others. Gains will be miniscule at best. The only reason for platinum and iridium tipped electrodes is to get far longer life, but performance gains will be only slight. I did notice a little better throttle response with the Splitfire TP416D plugs over new stock ones, to my surprise, as I did not expect ANY performance difference, just longer life.

The E3 plugs seem to be total snake oil to me. Not even precious metal tipped for longer life! I would use the NGK iridiums in the LT now since the TP416D is no longer available.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsp310
Hi Lee,

I have the twin to your bike! Which plug number? I'd like to look at a Iridium or double platnum.

John
John,
I have the receipt, but it doesn't show the NGK number, only Advance's numbers. They are 19650341 and 3932. I'm not sure which number is the stock number. I just gave the counter person the year, make, and model and he asked me which plug I wanted. These plugs are the plain ole resisters. I used them last time in a pinch, as I couldn't find the Bosch Supers locally. Worked well enough to use again.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 7:13 pm

I'm using NGK DPR7EA-9 instead of Bosch this year as a test. Reason = cost, less than $3 each. I'll report at the end of the year if they go the distance. The Bosch plugs were replaced at the end of each year = 35,000 miles with no noticable degradation in performance. Hope the NGK's do as well.
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

I got the NGK iR plugs today at O'Rielly auto. They didn't have them in stock when I first called but managed to get 4 in 2 1/2 hours. $6.99 each. They look good and all the info I received was positive. They did have a few of the E3 plugs there but not the E3.36 which is what was said to be the replacement to the Spitfires.

The E3's they did have looked like they have a tip that almost goes all the way around the electrode, almost like a flare nut wrench. It offers much more surface for the spark to travel too but like said earlier by Dave, does not seem to have platinum or iR for the tip. O'Rielly auto didn't have them in stock and the kid at the counter didn't know if he could get them but quoted me a price under $6.00 each.

As a note when I put the NGK's in, they first felt loose as if the threads were not the same but when I checked them against the Bosch's, the measurements between the two were exact. The did tighten up well but at first had me leary. When I tried, the LT started right up without any hesitation. Have not yet taken for a ride as I'm still putting the tupperwear back on.

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in