Question regarding 12K service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 31st, 2009, 1:19 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Question regarding 12K service

Barring no apparent problems with the LT, is it a problem to have the 12K service done at 14,000 miles? I had the oil/filter changed at 9800, last week and now I have a series of business trips, and I'll use the LT for all of them. By the time I'm done with this string of business trips, I'll be just under 14,000 miles. I have a service appointment set for 16 June at Max BMW in Troy and I'd like to keep that appointment. I may be able to squeeze in a service appointment at BMW of Manhattan earlier, but I'd prefer to keep the appointment at the other location. Any problem with letting the LT going about 2K over the 12K service? So far this year, I've put 10K on the LT and will add easily another 10-12K for the rest of the year. So far, other than routine maintenance, it's only been tire replacement costs. Welcome comments on the 12K service issue. Thanks
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 31st, 2009, 1:26 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Question regarding 12K service

No problem at all, 12K is mainly engine, trans and rear drive fluids also brake pad check & check for anything loose. I would also remove the shift linkage , clean , lube well and reinstall. 24K in the big one with air fuel filters and valve check.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 6 Old May 31st, 2009, 1:49 pm

No problem on most vehicles. I don't see how it could be that detrimental to a motorcycle. I wouldn't try the same thing with a riding lawnmower....an extra 2000 miles would definitely hurt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets

post #4 of 6 Old May 31st, 2009, 7:51 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I did my 12 except for the valves at around 12 or so. It is basically fluids.

However, a valve check is called for at the 12K. I did mine at 14 or so. So in answer to your question I would say you are good to go on the 2 grand over.

When we checked mine I am close on 3 exhaust and 1 intake. Not at the end of limits but enough at 20k or so I will check again and if they got any tighter will swap them. I am pretty anxious to see if mine was just put together on the tight side.

From what I am told they hold their adjustment pretty well. My dealer told me that they have a bunch of people go to 18K for valve check to help defray the cost of the 12K. He also said they never, that he recalled, needed an adjustment at 18K.

I would say enjoy that Job.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 6 Old May 31st, 2009, 9:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had a couple of intakes and one exhaust that were on the snug side at the 24K but they didn't require swap outs until the 48K.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:36 am

I'm in the same boat with 12,200 on mine after my last trip. I just called to schedule the 12K with Sturgis, SD BMW last week and was told they wouldn't be able to get me scheduled before another trip I have planned on the bike. The service manager told me another 2K on the bike before the 12K service wouldn't be any problem, "not to worry about it". I purchased the bike at the Sturgis dealer and to this point the sales and service departments have been nothing but top notch, so I don't have any reason to doubt the service managers advise. On a side note; unless I'm dreaming, the service manager rides a K1200LT too, which gives me a little more confidence in his assessments. Hope this helps.

2009 K1200LT
2007 Suzuki C50T
2007 Vespa GT200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in