New to Forum and BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 11:58 am Thread Starter

New to Forum and BMW

First ride on the '05 LT yesterday, 200+ miles. combined highway and mountain curves. This is a 49 states bike with 23K, looks new but I don't have the service records. Couple questions please

1. Notice a pronounced burning oil smell on cold start, goes away once motor is warm. Normal?

2. Much break dust coating rear wheel after this ride. Also Normal?

The bike runs and rides perfectly and averaged ~45miles/gallon. Thanks in advance, any and all input appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New to Forum and BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta
First ride on the '05 LT yesterday, 200+ miles. combined highway and mountain curves. This is a 49 states bike with 23K, looks new but I don't have the service records. Couple questions please

1. Notice a pronounced burning oil smell on cold start, goes away once motor is warm. Normal?

2. Much break dust coating rear wheel after this ride. Also Normal?

The bike runs and rides perfectly and averaged ~45miles/gallon. Thanks in advance, any and all input appreciated.
If you parked on the side stand for any length of time, then, yes, you will get some smoke and oil smell at start-up. The cylinders are on the left so when leaned left a small amount of oil runs past the rings and is burned at the next start.

If you have break dust, then I'd look to find what broke! :-) If you have brake dust, then this may be normal although my 07 which still has the OEM rear pads doesn't generate all that much brake dust either front or rear. Then again, I'm not real hard on brakes and I live in a rural area so I don't need to use the brakes in stop-and-go traffic. You may have aftermarket pads given the miles on your bike and they may dust more than the stock pads.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 1:02 pm

Sounds normal, a good way to clean the rear wheel is with spray Windex. Just spray it down and wipe with a rag and it will look like new. Now go ride some more your going to love this bike!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 1:17 pm

Smoke on startup is normal - only when u park on the side stand. You could also leave the bike upright ~30 seconds after you shut it off so the oil has time to fall back into the pan.

break dust could be normal - depends on what kind of pads you got. Stock pads or the EBC pads don't cause that much dust, if it bothers you just change the pads.

Enjoy!
post #5 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 1:20 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I use the BMW Premium brake pads on the rear and I get brake dust on the wheel too. It get washed off when I ride in the rain.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

OK, I did in fact have the bike on it's side stand for days prior to running...one more for you all please; Former owner was running Mobil 1 10-50 for autos. Do I need to drop this for motorcycle oil?
post #7 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta
OK, I did in fact have the bike on it's side stand for days prior to running...one more for you all please; Former owner was running Mobil 1 10-50 for autos. Do I need to drop this for motorcycle oil?
My Opinion: NO,this bike has a dry clutch and doesn't need motorcycle-specific oils.
Waste of money. I use Pennzoil 20w50 oil from wally world.

Dan
post #8 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 7:23 pm

Short answer: no. Many people run a variety of synthetic (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc) or "regular" dino. The weight you use will depend on your weather, temperature, etc. 15w50 is common, along with 10w30, so your 10w50 is not out of spec.

Long answer: If you use the search function here for "oil thread" or something similar you will find a wealth of material. Some of it almost becomes a flame war, as oil seems to be like an opinion :-} Do some reading here and elsewhere and come to your own conclusion.

You can always check with a local dealer and see what weight or brand they use.

Happy hunting!

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #9 of 9 Old May 31st, 2009, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks...dry clutch it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in