Wow - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Wow

I finally had new tires put on my 99' LT by a local motorcycle shop. I had a rear and the shop got the front Metzler for me. The charge for labor to remove from the bike, mount and balance both tires was $192.00. Was I overcharged because the shop is not familiar with LT's or is that close to being normal? If so, I guess I need to learn to take the tires off myself.

What have you folks paid for this service lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 8:52 am

Re: Wow

You was robbed. Worst deal I had was $60 per tire.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 9:02 am

I had my tires changed on Tuesday. I was quoted $25 per tire a few weeks ago. I brought in the new tires and the took the wheels off the bike as well. I bought the dynabeads to eliminate the need to balance the tires. My bill was $112. When I inquired as to why, when there was no need to balance the tire or anything, they told me that the dynabeads were a pain in the ass. They spent extra time and effort to clean the rims and make sure that the grease was not inside the rim.

I think that I will change my own tires from now on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets

post #4 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht
They spent extra time and effort to clean the rims and make sure that the grease was not inside the rim.
What grease? I use carb cleaner and scotchbrite before mounting a tire to get rid of rubber that is stuck on the bead from the old tire. This lets the new tire seat better without much bleed down. I'm trying to figure out what grease they're talking about.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 9:24 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht
I had my tires changed on Tuesday. I was quoted $25 per tire a few weeks ago. I brought in the new tires and the took the wheels off the bike as well. I bought the dynabeads to eliminate the need to balance the tires. My bill was $112. When I inquired as to why, when there was no need to balance the tire or anything, they told me that the dynabeads were a pain in the ass. They spent extra time and effort to clean the rims and make sure that the grease was not inside the rim.

I think that I will change my own tires from now on.
Really is the way to go. Changing your own tires is not that bad after a time or two.

Also you will never get anyone to work on your bike as you would. That is why I do it.

I do understand the comment on the "Placebo Beads". I just changed both tires over to them and a valve steam replacement. I did take extra care in sanding the bead and rim and made sure they were then cleaned and waxed. After getting both sides of the tire on the rim, I did wipe everything clean again and used just a bit on the tire bead to seat them as I did not want water and soap in the tires.

Now was that 192 for the front tire and mounting them both?

Or was that just mounting charge, and the front tire was a bill on top of that?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 9:26 am

If that is labor AND the tire they furnished, that is high but not atrocious. If it does NOT include the tire, then it is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 9:36 am

Actually, I have encountered dealers charging similar amounts. When I questioned the rate increase I was told BMW's labor price guide had been changed to more accurately reflect actual time required for each model bike. They would no longer charge the same rate for a F650 and an LT since the LT was far more labor intensive. Perhaps there is some truth to that but I'm not willing to pay an hour of full shop rate for a tire swap.
post #8 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 9:40 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
What grease? I use carb cleaner and scotchbrite before mounting a tire to get rid of rubber that is stuck on the bead from the old tire. This lets the new tire seat better without much bleed down. I'm trying to figure out what grease they're talking about.
The grease was for him

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
If that is labor AND the tire they furnished, that is high but not atrocious. If it does NOT include the tire, then it is absolutely ridiculous.

No, that was just the labor. I believe this young man is a good mechanic, but I must have paid for his "learning curve" on an LT.
post #10 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 11:02 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
...I believe this young man is a good mechanic, but I must have paid for his "learning curve" on an LT.
How many hours, and what $/hour rate? Then, go ask him if it really took him that long...
post #11 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 11:31 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

That seems high. But, depending on the shop rate and the experience of the fellow doing the work, it could take some time. Probably best to ask up front next time.

I have been using the same little shop to do my tires for the last 8 or 9 years. I bring in the rims with the old tires and they mount and balance for the price of the tire. And the tire prices have been pretty good. But, the place changed hands and the prices went up quite a bit so I decided to do the Tiger tires my self this time. Haven't done it since I raced dirt bikes a long time ago. Not bad. Saved a hundred bucks on the first go around which paid for the Marc Parnes balancer. Forgot to order weights when I got the balancer so I stopped by the local BMW dealer to pick up a few. They wanted $2.99 for each 1/4 oz weight. The local auto tire place gave me a couple of strips of 12 for free.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #12 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 12:54 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
That seems high. But, depending on the shop rate and the experience of the fellow doing the work, it could take some time. Probably best to ask up front next time.

I have been using the same little shop to do my tires for the last 8 or 9 years. I bring in the rims with the old tires and they mount and balance for the price of the tire. And the tire prices have been pretty good. But, the place changed hands and the prices went up quite a bit so I decided to do the Tiger tires my self this time. Haven't done it since I raced dirt bikes a long time ago. Not bad. Saved a hundred bucks on the first go around which paid for the Marc Parnes balancer. Forgot to order weights when I got the balancer so I stopped by the local BMW dealer to pick up a few. They wanted $2.99 for each 1/4 oz weight. The local auto tire place gave me a couple of strips of 12 for free.
Must of been the gold plated weights

Absolutely Insane!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #13 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 3:06 pm

I do it for 10.00 per wheel on or off the bike.

OF course I don't do it as much for the money as for meeting people to ride with.
10.00 covers weights, valve stems and tire disposal.

192.00 seems steep.
A hard motorcycle only takes about an hour.
Hard would be like a Royal Star.

The LT is not a hard bike to pull apart.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #14 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
Actually, I have encountered dealers charging similar amounts. When I questioned the rate increase I was told BMW's labor price guide had been changed to more accurately reflect actual time required for each model bike. They would no longer charge the same rate for a F650 and an LT since the LT was far more labor intensive. Perhaps there is some truth to that but I'm not willing to pay an hour of full shop rate for a tire swap.
As I'm in the middle of changing wheels, the chain, and both sprockets on my G650X, I can tell you that doing it on the LT is a LOT LESS labor intensive. Even changing tires on my GSA is less labor intensive than the thumper is. Probably because there is no good way to pick up the front end of the G650X.

I can set up, pull the wheels, remove a set of tires, mount a fresh set, remount the wheels, tear down, and clean up in 75 minutes with my GSA. The LT was faster because the rear brake rotor is mounted to the final drive and you don't have to pull the rear caliper.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #15 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 10:39 pm

You did get ripped off - however I don't think you would have saved any money going to BMW.

What you need to do is learn to do it yourself. It's simple - I take off the wheels & remove the rotors then bring it to any tire shop to mount and balance, they usually charge me $10.
post #16 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 11:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just changed both my own out. The rear comes off with five bolts. The front comes off with four fender bolts (optional, but recommended) four caliper bolts, two pinch bolts, one axle bolt, and ten rotor bolts. Yes, that's 21 fasteners to remove and reinstall for the front wheel. $192.00 is pretty high but if it was not an experienced BMW mechanic not all that bad if that included a tire.

post #17 of 65 Old May 30th, 2009, 11:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
I just changed both my own out. The rear comes off with five bolts. The front comes off with four fender bolts (optional, but recommended) four caliper bolts, two pinch bolts, one axle bolt, and ten rotor bolts. Yes, that's 21 fasteners to remove and reinstall for the front wheel. $192.00 is pretty high but if it was not an experienced BMW mechanic not all that bad if that included a tire.

Sadly, it did not include a tire!. It was just the labor.
post #18 of 65 Old May 31st, 2009, 6:13 am

You may have just received the prize for the most expensive single tire change... ever. $192 for labor? For one tire? "Unconscionable" is the word that comes to mind.

At that rate you could buy a tire changer and it would pay for itself very, very quickly.

I started doing my own tires this year.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 65 Old May 31st, 2009, 7:44 am

I pull the tires myself and have them mounted and balanced. It cost around $40 a tire..................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #20 of 65 Old May 31st, 2009, 8:08 am

Feb 2008, I gave Lone Star the front and rear rubber and the bike; they charged me $45/tire to remove from the bike, mount/balance new tire, and install (no good night kiss like you got).

You wuz robbed.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #21 of 65 Old May 31st, 2009, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
You may have just received the prize for the most expensive single tire change... ever. $192 for labor? For one tire? "Unconscionable" is the word that comes to mind.

At that rate you could buy a tire changer and it would pay for itself very, very quickly.

No, this was labor for two tires. I had the rear and I bought the front from the shop.

Last edited by rkimmel2; May 31st, 2009 at 10:39 am. Reason: correction
post #22 of 65 Old May 31st, 2009, 11:12 am

You may have been charged for the carbon credits you need to puchase when installing a tire. There is alot of carbon in tires. But you can feel good if you did since you will be saving the planet.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #23 of 65 Old May 31st, 2009, 11:28 am

At that rate you could buy your own tire machine and break even in about a year.... something to think about. We have a Huffman and it's paid for itself several times over, based on a $35/tire rate. Plus changing tires is kinda fun, and with a pneumatic machine you don't have to take rotors off the front AND your friends bring their tires over along with copious amounts of beer for the fridge - added bonus!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #24 of 65 Old May 31st, 2009, 11:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No, this was labor for two tires. I had the rear and I bought the front from the shop.
That is a rip-off of the highest order. I recently had a new ME880 put on the rear of my LT. I removed and replaced the wheel myself, which took maybe 15 minutes total as it was my first time doing so. I suspect I could take it off and replace it in 10 minutes next time.

A local tire shop charged me $12 to mount the tire and dispose of the old one and this inculded a new valve stem, but no balancing. The tire man said that the alloy wheels with good tires like Metzeler, seldom are much out of balance. I decided to try it unbalanced and no problems noticed to date. I may buy a balance myself for future use, but I'm not sure a tire machine would pay for itself as I only have time currently to ride 6-10K a year so I'm only mounting a tire every year or so. For $12 bucks I think I'll let the tire shop do it. And he has a machine that keeps the tool a couple mm above the wheel so there is no chance of damaging the wheel with this "touchless" machine.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #25 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 5:49 am

I take the wheels off myself, source the best price for the tires and take the lot to the local car tire place. He fits them for a beer.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #26 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
The LT is more labor intensive? It took me like 10 minutes total to get the back wheel off and it was the first time I had done it. I took it to a local motorcycle tire shop to have it installed. I brought him my wheel and tire and for $25 it was mounted and balanced. The front doesn't look that hard either if you have a stand for it.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; Jun 1st, 2009 at 8:16 am.
post #27 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
The LT is more labor intensive? It took me like 10 minutes total to get the back wheel off and it was the first time I had done it. I took it to a local motorcycle tire shop to have it installed. I brought him my wheel and tire and for $25 it was mounted and balanced. The front doesn't look that hard either if you have a stand for it.
Nope not that bad with a bottle jack and a piece of wood. Biggest hassle is getting brake calipers off and fighting with the Motolights when you need to reinstall them as you put the calipers back on. And you can have them both off at the same time so you don't have to make 2 trips to the local motorcycle tire shop.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #28 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 9:15 am

It is high but...the front tires run what, about 120 bucks via the net? so whats left over, a bit high but not unreal.

BMW dealer charges 550-600 for LT tires change when you bring the bike in.

I do my own, save 200 bucks a shot by saving on tire retail via swmoto and also doing my own labor (nomar).

the time I save alone from running around and waiting for the bike is well worth the price of admission as my time is precious these days.
post #29 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 9:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
It is high but...the front tires run what, about 120 bucks via the net? so whats left over, a bit high but not unreal.

BMW dealer charges 550-600 for LT tires change when you bring the bike in.

I do my own, save 200 bucks a shot by saving on tire retail via swmoto and also doing my own labor (nomar).

the time I save alone from running around and waiting for the bike is well worth the price of admission as my time is precious these days.

No, you misundertand! I paid $192.00 just for labor. I provided the rear tire, he bought the front tire and charged me $169.00 for that. His total bill was $362.00 to buy a front tire and remove and install both front and rear.
post #30 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:19 am

oops, more coffee please!

thats about what is charged for labor to pull the bike in the shop and have them do the whole job, excluding the rear tire purchase from them at retail.

Its too much $$ for that job, although the front is more work than the rear, removal wise.

Ya'll should go and talk to those folks, have em check the flat rate book. I don't mind paying for problems and a little inexperience but thats getting up there!
post #31 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:59 am

Quote:
No, you misundertand! I paid $192.00 just for labor. I provided the rear tire, he bought the front tire and charged me $169.00 for that. His total bill was $362.00 to buy a front tire and remove and install both front and rear.
Holy Stick it to my Wallet Batman. Sounds like he charged you for the time to pull all the tupperware as well as the tire change. I think I'd be talking to local BBB about the labor charge. My last front tire purchase and balance for a BT020 at the dealer was less than $200.

Do you have a local Cycle Gear store? Most of them have tire changing equipment and will change out tires you purchase outside of their store for a fee, somewhere between $25 and $35 dollars a wheel, IIRC.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #32 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I'm not saying I agree, that's what two different shops told me. However, both shops include a safety check with a tire change. Still, I question a full hour of shop rate per tire. I've never liked it when mechanics go by the 'book' on rates rather than actual labor time. My local Ford dealer wanted 3 hours of labor to re-torque the heads on a rebuilt engine. Having installed the engine myself I knew it was a 30 minute job and I don't have the training or all the special tools they do. When I questioned the estimate I was told that's what the book says it will take. Never mind, I'll do it myself.
post #33 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:16 pm

If it makes rkimmel2 feel better, new front tire installed with oil change equals $350 at MAXBMW...

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
post #34 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 2:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sorry you got taken to the cleaners. That's gotta hurt the old pocket book. I just ordered a front tire to be drop shipped to fellow member, friend, Bon Vivant, and good time Charlie, katnappin, and he'll mount and balance for me. Total out of pocket will be about $150 ($120 for the tire and $30 for mount & balance). All I have to do is pull the front wheel and reinstall. I get to support his business without breaking the bank. In the future, I suggest Cycle Gear if you have one locally, or look for a reliable independent shop.

Several others have said it, removing & replacing front or rear wheels is a bit of effort but very doable. (even for me, and that's sayin' a lot!)

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #35 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal_k
If it makes rkimmel2 feel better, new front tire installed with oil change equals $350 at MAXBMW...
It does not make me feel any better! I guess we both now feel like chumps.
post #36 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 4:59 pm

I posted a thread recently in where I mention my local BMW dealer quoting $1670.00 for a 12K service and one rear tire. I did the 12K service myself for a few hundred bucks. I bought the tire from a local Cycle Trader store. I brought the wheel to a local Honda dealer where a friend mounted the tire in 5 minutes at no charge. Total cost for mounting - $0.00.

Note that any auto tire shop that has a "Euro" style tire changer can mount a LT tire with almost no chance of wheel damage. Also removong the real wheel is no more difficult than removing the wheel on any small car, maybe easier since you don't need a jack.

Here is a picture of what the machine looks like and an explination of how it works.

http://www.hunter.com/PUB/company/ne...e/prTC3250.htm
post #37 of 65 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 5:44 pm

Quote:
I finally had new tires put on my 99' LT by a local motorcycle shop. I had a rear and the shop got the front Metzler for me. The charge for labor to remove from the bike, mount and balance both tires was $192.00.
Please post up the name of the shop (or at least the general location) so I wont stop in if ever in the area.

Mike
IBA #433
post #38 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Out of curiosity, I just got a quote on 2 metzlers installed on my LT with wheels on the bike and work done while I wait: $580.00 at Bobs BMW!
post #39 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:03 pm

In your original thread you mentioned you had this done at a local shop. Was it a BMW shop or an independent? Regardless, you were overcharged. I take em over to my local Honda shop for $25 a piece and got hosed once for twice that at another local independent shop but told the guy this was a trial and error and that I would not be back.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #40 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:46 pm

I just had my rear tire replaced yesterday at a BMW shop. His labor was .6 hours or about $60 with the tire on the bike. I bought the tire from him as well, the ME880 was $277. I thought that was a little pricey but I was returning from a 2200 mile trip and needed the tire to make it home safe. The ME880 that he removed was completely bald with less than 5000 miles on it. When that tire was installed last year the tire cost was $200 but I was riped for $150 for less than an hour of labor to install. So if you total the two tires it cost about the same both times. I think next time I will do it myself. How hard can it be.
post #41 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:36 pm

it's not hard, it's actually fun in my opinion. but then again, you wouldn't believe the things I find fun to do

I get 2 tires from swmoto (I'm taxed here in AZ as well, 20 bucks more), delivered in record time every time to my door for about 320-330 bucks I think, for Metz Z6 K1200S tires, I think the LT tires run a little more.

Retail on the tires is a killer alone. I don't beget the mechanic from making money but at $92/hour labor rate, changing tires and oil on these bikes is one of the biggest money savers overall, not to mention time (important in my case).
post #42 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehly
In your original thread you mentioned you had this done at a local shop. Was it a BMW shop or an independent? Regardless, you were overcharged. I take em over to my local Honda shop for $25 a piece and got hosed once for twice that at another local independent shop but told the guy this was a trial and error and that I would not be back.

It was a rural, independent shop and the wrench had done work for me before at a satisfactory price. The labor charge on the tires surprised me. I like this guy and it is great to have someone willing to work on my bike who is closer than the nearest dealer who is 135 miles away!

I am thinking of printing out this thread and showing him the responses. Of course, He may tell me to go to hell, and I really don't care to have any money refunded. I just want him to be aware if he is out of line and hopefully take the criticism in the spirit it is offer and not take offense.
post #43 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:04 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Why would you remove the brake rotors from the front wheel? This is NOT a good idea. Those bolts are installed with locktite at a specific torque value. Unless you clean the bolt hole threads before you re-install them you won't get the proper torque back on them. Too much work and it's not necessary just to change a tire...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #44 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Why would you remove the brake rotors from the front wheel? This is NOT a good idea. Those bolts are installed with locktite at a specific torque value. Unless you clean the bolt hole threads before you re-install them you won't get the proper torque back on them. Too much work and it's not necessary just to change a tire...
I would guess that might be a by-product of owning a sub-standard tire machine.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #45 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 6:39 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
I would guess that might be a by-product of owning a sub-standard tire machine.
If a tire machine requires that you remove the rotors then IMO it's worthless...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #46 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal_k

I just had a rear tire installed at MAX, $240 for the tire, $20 to mount. I took wheel off bike, and did not have them balance. I had to have them credit me for the weights they charged me for.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #47 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 7:29 pm

Quote:
OK, I stand corrected. Still seems high, though. Check into doing your own tire changes. If I can do it, you can. Really.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #48 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 7:31 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:

OK, I stand corrected. Still seems high, though. Check into doing your own tire changes. If I can do it, you can. Really.
It is quite high. Most I've seen is $60 per tire on a BMW.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #49 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 7:31 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

While you did get a nose bleed, your gonna be fine.

I like you going to at least talk to the guy.

As others before me, the first time I was faced with a tire change I almost had a stroke

I made up my mind I will do it myself. My dealer will not even mount a tire not bought from him. Liability and all that stuff

I bought a HF and used it the first time with minimal damage to my rim by using rubber inner tube on the clamps.

The next one I just lug the bottom part of the HF, lay the rim on a moving pad doubled over, and break the beads. After that, it is spoons and rim protectors, off and on.

I also have had the pleasure of using a Mark Parnes balancer, and that will do it. I have no room or money for a good wheel machine and balancer.

With my method, I get it done, clean and inspect my beads and rims, and save a bunch of money.

I would say If I can, anyone can. All you got to do is keep it in the drop area of the rim.

I am using radials and I have heard it said that a Bias Ply tire is a bit tougher.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #50 of 65 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

I bought my tools about ten years ago for about 1400.00.
I have changed hundreds of tires over the years.

It is unfortunate that shops insist on making a profit on the easiest neccessity.
Some of the stories that I have heard from my local area are insane... That is why I am happy to help out fellow riders.

I have even gone to the extent of having new tires in stock so people don't get stuck paying retail for tires.

I guess shops can't look at it as helping riders, they are in business to make money.
They could be a little more reasonable. If you treat your customers right they will always come back.

I understand the local HD shop here charges 60. per wheel.
I am seeing more and more cruiser riders showing up at my house to see if I will change their tires.
I will say this, Metric cruiser riders are the friendliest MC riders that I interact with.
Nothing to prove they just enjoy riding what they have. When I show them how to wrench on it,
you should see the smiles when they complete a task on their own.

Just my .02... I'll do your tires if you need it.

Visit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in