K1200lt-c - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

K1200lt-c

Just got my first 2002 LT and I noticed the throttle is very hard to twist. Anyone else have this problem? Any know fix's out there?
Besides that I love this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hi David, and welcome.

First, read this thread. Then let us know if you have any more questions, or need a hand installing the upgraded parts.

I've done this upgrade to two other LTs now, and each time it was well worth the trouble.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysLT
Just got my first 2002 LT and I noticed the throttle is very hard to twist. Anyone else have this problem? Any know fix's out there?
Besides that I love this bike.
Have the dealer change the cables during your next 12K service. Since they already have the bike apart for the service, the labor cost are low to install the throttle cables (and upgrade I assume). I can't remember the exact cost, but it was less that $200 for parts and labor at California BMW.

The cable change made a HUGE difference. Before the change I was very annoyed with the stiff throttle.

Nathan
2000 K1200LT - 69K Miles

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Ken thanks alot for the numbers. I'm guessing that what was changed was the black elbows that are now coming out of the bottom of the throttle. Is that correct? Are the other ends of the cables easily detachable? I wrench on my last bikes and feel confident that I can handle this. Approx. how many hours of time are we looking at here.
Dave
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:36 am

Thumbs up

I changed my cables last month using the parts listed in the referenced post.

I also found that the lube on the handlebar had congealed into something like the rubber snot they use to stick your new credit card to the mailing sheet. You could actually feel the grip sticking on the handlebar. I cleaned the old lube off and applied new. That alone would probably have made a huge difference. Along with the new cables, all I can say is - Oh Joy! .... Oh Rapture! It is like a different bike.

If you have a stiff throttle, go - nay run to your favorite purveyor of BMW parts and\or services and change out those old cables.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysLT
I wrench on my last bikes and feel confident that I can handle this. Approx. how many hours of time are we looking at here.
Dave
Two hours...tops. If you haven't undressed the girl yet, you might throw in an extra hour for the first time.
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:42 am

I had the dealer do it under the gun of an expiring warranty. It was the single biggest improvement I've made to date... a must from my point of view. The entire bike feels different and so does my forearm.
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 3:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The metal elbows are part of the new cables themselves. Plus you change out the plastic piece that those elbows mount to.

The older cables had a plastic guide that made the cables bend around, then they turned sharply to go in between the handlebar covers, all of which added resistance. The newer metal guides offer less resistance, and the newer plastic mount allows those elbows to pivot to reduce sharp bends near the grip. This is also helped by cutting a small oval hole in the lower handlebar cover so the cables have a straighter shot.

I agree with Joe, it would take less than two hours now that I've done it twice, but just take your time and do it right. Run the new cables alongside the old ones first. Make sure you hook up both bottom cable ends next, then do the top side afterwards. You'll need to move the inner cable back and forth while hooking up the bottom, and this is easier when the top is still loose. It's a bit fiddly because of tight spaces, but doable at home. A pair of hemostats or locking needle nose pliers helps here.

Also, the older plastic cable guide up near the grip goes all the way around the handlebar, causing some folks to try and remove the grip and mess up the heaters. I just snipped the small plastic loop and slipped the old part off without removing the grip. Much easier.

If you have any sort of resistance or throttle stiffness then the upgrade is well worth it. My cables were changed out in '03 with the previous upgrade kit, and since they still feel fine I haven't changed my to the '05 versions yet. But if they start to bug me at all, I'll swap them out then.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in