LT Knee Pads-What kind of material? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 29th, 2009, 8:09 pm Thread Starter
SEG

LT Knee Pads-What kind of material?

What kind of material is used for the black synthetic knee pads on the LT? And what's the most effective cleaner to remove paint? At least I believe it's paint. I had to take the LT to work today because I had an out of town errand to do during the work day. While the LT was parked on the street (in Manhattan), somebody decided to get rid of their paint supplies and one side of the bike was on the receiving end of the mystery residue/paint . A good amount was splotched on the bike. I've gotten all of it off the LT, with the exception of the knee pad area which still has some flecks of whatever stuff that was thrown on the street. Maybe with all the attempts of trying to get the stuff off, I've really got the light pink colored stuff worked into the synthetic material. Fortunately, I had the bike covered so the splotches were limited to the lower areas of the LT. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Scott
NYC
2009 LT

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 29th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Re: LT Knee Pads-What kind of material?

Bummer

Go to a Lowes or a Home Depot, Goo be Gone, mineral spirits or ask the folks in the paint department what they would use.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

B D R
post #3 of 4 Old May 30th, 2009, 7:54 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I use Surface Protecting 303. They have a cleaner also. I think it is nothing more then vinyl. Hot soapy (Dawn) water would be my first try as you say you see flecks in the vinyl and this may flush them out. I then would let it dry in the sun and use 303 on it.

Not sure if the above post that mentioned solvents are safe on vinyl, but you may need to go there if they are.

Bummer for sure, hope you get it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 4 Old May 30th, 2009, 8:33 am Thread Starter
SEG

Thanks for the advice. I first tried soapy water, then a vinyl cleaner, without much results-for the stubborn flecks. I'll try the local hardware store. Manhattan is tough on bikes; between the rough roads, taxi drivers that move like crabs-constantly at 45 degree angles and often heavy congestion, getting in and out of the city. Every time I park the LT on the street, I worry about it getting knocked over. So far that has not happened. My previous bike, a Moto Guzzi got knocked over repeatedly, but I had it often parked on the street. Since getting the LT, I've ponied up the $275/month for a sliver of a space in the parking garage in our condo building. Thanks again for the sending along the advice.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in