Thanks to all!!!!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 28th, 2009, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Smile Thanks to all!!!!!!!

Though I'm not new to the site I have been roam'n round in here for a while. Thanks’ to so many over the last year for the help with many items on the used 02 LT we purchased approx. a year and a half ago. With the help of this site our baby has had all fluids changed (yes brake fluid also), eliminated "cow bell" with new EBC rear rotor and screech'n with new pads fr & rr, topped off rear shock adjuster, drilled hole in bell housing (clean), magic beads in new ME880 tires (Dynabeads), replaced fuel filter, air filter, plugs and O2 sensor and the addition of Corbin (front short) Heated Seats and (since I could no longer see the rear view mirrors from the lower riding position) K1200RS rear view mirrors.

Also setting at the house are the throttle upgrade cables and I have the fuel disconnects on order to replace the plastic ones. Since I've been working on bikes since I was a young tot, all this work was done at home in the man cave. I am soooo much more intimate with the bike now and all thanks to many on this site. The most amazing fix was the shock adjuster, 17 turns before I could feel any resistance. I had been dodging everything on the road because of the way the bike felt and when we were two up it was worse.

This weekend we are taking off on our first real ride up to the Canton area to stay with relatives and hit First Monday Trade Days. The only other good ride was up to the E. Texas lakes area on a group ride. Our work had kept us from doing anything till now but since I'm laid off and it's vacation time for a while. I'll be carry'n the cables and brass hose splice connector with clamps just to help guard off Murphy. Not too worried about the throttle cables because mine is not hard to twist and springs back easily.

Now for partial payback -- I have found two products that I haven't seen on this site yet. And no I am not anything more than a consumer. 1) found the Dyna Plug tire repair at Harbor Freight. I have not had to use it yet but I have plugged many tires on vehicles. What I liked about this one, is the pc that ends up in the tire is a small brass point. This should work better with Dynabeads than the gooey rope stuff. Also it seems you would not have to ream the hole out very large to use the Dyna Plug. I think Dyna Beads and Dyna Plug is just a coincidence in names but not sure. The rope cord on this repair kit is a small diameter so you may want to carry a "Stop n Go" type also in case of a larger puncture. 2) I used the 303 protectant to revive a 37 year old SL350 seat. I had used three other "Armor All" type products with no results and the 303 brought it back. Not perfect of course but it did do an amazing job. If you visit the 303 site they have a sample kit for $5 and it is really worth it. I ordered a bunch of them just to give to friends.

Again, a big THANKS to all the members whose threads I used to get through this work and the ones I'm sure to use in the future. Going clean our baby up for the weekend. LiveStrong and Ride Safe. (Live on the edge in a really conservative way)

Jim & Tammy - S.E. Texas
1972 Honda SL350K2 (restored)
1973 Honda SL350K2 (restored)
2002 K1200LT Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 28th, 2009, 7:53 am

Re: Thanks to all!!!!!!!

Hey, Jim - thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions and for letting us know the value of this forum outfit. Great bunch of folks and I for one am glad you benefitted from the collective knowledge. Puts you in the teaching mode now, so you gotta make special plans to attend one of Grif's tech sessions down near New Braunfels/Gruene area. We'll be looking for ya!!

BTW - you've prolly been to First Monday before, butt I gotta tell ya, it's sumpthin' to see. I passed thru Canton several years ago, on my leisurely way to AR for some twisty exercise, and couldn't believe the attendance at that 'market'. Darn near couldn't find a parking place for ole Toad, so I just stopped at a gas pump, filled up and stayed right there!! Otherwise, it woulda been duckwalk time trying to get around town. Did see more thangs for sale than I'd ever seen in one location, tho.

Take care, Jim. Have fun at the bazaar!!!
post #3 of 4 Old May 28th, 2009, 12:26 pm

Re: Thanks to all!!!!!!!

"The most amazing fix was the shock adjuster, 17 turns before I could feel any resistance."

Did you turn all the way up or down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpiperman
Though I'm not new to the site I have been roam'n round in here for a while. Thanks’ to so many over the last year for the help with many items on the used 02 LT we purchased approx. a year and a half ago. With the help of this site our baby has had all fluids changed (yes brake fluid also), eliminated "cow bell" with new EBC rear rotor and screech'n with new pads fr & rr, topped off rear shock adjuster, drilled hole in bell housing (clean), magic beads in new ME880 tires (Dynabeads), replaced fuel filter, air filter, plugs and O2 sensor and the addition of Corbin (front short) Heated Seats and (since I could no longer see the rear view mirrors from the lower riding position) K1200RS rear view mirrors.

Also setting at the house are the throttle upgrade cables and I have the fuel disconnects on order to replace the plastic ones. Since I've been working on bikes since I was a young tot, all this work was done at home in the man cave. I am soooo much more intimate with the bike now and all thanks to many on this site. The most amazing fix was the shock adjuster, 17 turns before I could feel any resistance. I had been dodging everything on the road because of the way the bike felt and when we were two up it was worse.

This weekend we are taking off on our first real ride up to the Canton area to stay with relatives and hit First Monday Trade Days. The only other good ride was up to the E. Texas lakes area on a group ride. Our work had kept us from doing anything till now but since I'm laid off and it's vacation time for a while. I'll be carry'n the cables and brass hose splice connector with clamps just to help guard off Murphy. Not too worried about the throttle cables because mine is not hard to twist and springs back easily.

Now for partial payback -- I have found two products that I haven't seen on this site yet. And no I am not anything more than a consumer. 1) found the Dyna Plug tire repair at Harbor Freight. I have not had to use it yet but I have plugged many tires on vehicles. What I liked about this one, is the pc that ends up in the tire is a small brass point. This should work better with Dynabeads than the gooey rope stuff. Also it seems you would not have to ream the hole out very large to use the Dyna Plug. I think Dyna Beads and Dyna Plug is just a coincidence in names but not sure. The rope cord on this repair kit is a small diameter so you may want to carry a "Stop n Go" type also in case of a larger puncture. 2) I used the 303 protectant to revive a 37 year old SL350 seat. I had used three other "Armor All" type products with no results and the 303 brought it back. Not perfect of course but it did do an amazing job. If you visit the 303 site they have a sample kit for $5 and it is really worth it. I ordered a bunch of them just to give to friends.

Again, a big THANKS to all the members whose threads I used to get through this work and the ones I'm sure to use in the future. Going clean our baby up for the weekend. LiveStrong and Ride Safe. (Live on the edge in a really conservative way)

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old May 28th, 2009, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Thanks to all!!!!!!!

Dick,

Never been to first Monday, hope I get to just relax at Wit's End Ranch and throw back a few brews with the cousins while the girls do the Trade Fair. The tech sessions in New Braunfels/Gruene sounds great. Me and Tammy love that area.

Matt,

I had backed it all the way out like the instructions and before refill it was 17 turns to resistance. After first fill it was about half turn then eased out to 1 1/2 turns so I refilled again. It has stayed at about 3/4 turn to resistance since. We were basically running around with NO shock on the back. That fix with the Magic Beads in the new tires and the bike is eerie smooth. I can't wait to get the new cables on the throttle, but I've got to get some other things off my plate before I start removing Tupperware. Hope to see ya'll on the road sometime. TTYL

Jim & Tammy - S.E. Texas
1972 Honda SL350K2 (restored)
1973 Honda SL350K2 (restored)
2002 K1200LT Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in