Why You Bought Your LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 1:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Why You Bought Your LT

It's 9:00 AM. I'm on Colorado #165 westbound out of Colorado City. My 19-year-old son is on the 1100 Yamaha bringing up the rear. It's broken sunlight to mostly cloudy and drops to 49 degrees as we top the summit and run down the twisties of the Continental Divide, turning north on Colorado #96 and #67. Breakfast is at Two Sisters Diner in Florence. On to the Royal Gorge and back down as the thunderstorms just miss us with lots of lightning visible in the mirrors but with us staying dry. Eventually back to the KOA after some more sight seeing in the Pueblo area and a rain break at a local Sonic drive-in. It rains like a bitch after we get the bikes covered and us inside . The next morning it's 270 miles back to where we started. We arrive tired, burnt, and happy.

That's why you bought your LT, just in case you forgot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Re: Why You Bought Your LT

'cause Momma sed so...
post #3 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
'cause Momma sed so...
Plus 1

Oh Yea What Dean said too.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 2:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My wife told me I could get a new bike , If she could get a new sidecar .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Garage

Quote:
'cause Momma sed so...
That's funny! My beautiful wife of 45 years and has 200,000 mile on a old airhead RS. said "I think we need one of these" after we borrowed a friend's LT for a short 100 mile ride..

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #6 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Same here,
Rode up to a BMW demo-ride in Branson Missouri. Commented that I always want to try the LT. The man said he had a 2:00 o'clock spot and signed me up for a 30 min. ride. We left w/ a group riding all of the street models BMW had w/ a ride capt. in front and in back from BMW. Riding 2 up into a 30mph curve @ 60 mph wasn't what I expected, but after a couple of those we settled in w/ the rest of the group. Within 30 min my wife poked me and said, "When are we getting one?" The rest is history.

Ahhhhhhh! Colorado!!!! I love that place.
post #7 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 4:02 pm

I demo'd one about 5 years ago after running a Big Dog Vintage for 4 years, set up for 2 up touring. One minute in the saddle and wife said this was the one. "No problem, dear."
Traded my S+S powered softail, and never looked back. I have 74K on it and love it.
post #8 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I demo'd one with my wife on the back and we went 100 feet and she said this is way better than a Goldwing. True story.....
post #9 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 4:04 pm

A nice man at the local bike night let her sit in his.

That was it.
post #10 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 4:22 pm

My wife got on the back with me at the show room and said. "You can get one of these".
So I did. Who was I to argue?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #11 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 4:50 pm

We were 4 weeks away from a 2500 Mile Europe tour and only had the Triumph legend. next to no capacity for luggage, and not too cofortable on a long trip.

Bought the LT with about 1 week to go, got to learn real fast how to ride the beast fully laden. Wife had 7 pairs of shoes with her, I was permitted to take 1 pair underwear, 1 sock ( I could chose which foot to wear it on) and she got all the rest of the luggage space.

Must say it was the right bike for this sort of trip.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #12 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Because my wife really wanted one. We rode the Ultra Classic, Vision and a R1200CLC before riding the K1200LT. Less than 10 minutes into the test ride on the Magic Carpet her decision was made but she let me think I made the decision until I brought it home.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #13 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Looking one over on eBay one night and the 'Child Bride' walked through.........a simple comment was made..........'I'd ride one of those with you'.............

the deal was made.....................
post #14 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:18 pm

I loved the LT, and my wife LOVED the LT. 90% of the time, we're two-up, so her opinion counted on this one.

As for the house, cars, and everything else, she gets what I pick out... sure...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #15 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I bought mine because uh well because let me think a little still thinking I guess I can't answer this because my wife bought me mine with out my knowledge. Good choice if I must say so myself.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Was pretty simply, was going to buy a brick one way or the other, Personal choice was the GT or an RS .... wife said I AM ON THE BACK, nuf said the LT it became.

Damn those wives of ours sure have a say in some matters !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #17 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 7:52 pm
Just ridin'

My wife said: "buy this!" in March 1999, after a 30 minute ride up I-70 into the mountains. Over 100,000 LT miles since then.

Seems like we have a trend here

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #18 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a K1100LT and the wife said, "this ain't comfortable". Got an HD Road King and the wife said, "this ain't comfortable". Got an HD Ultra Classic and the wife said, "this ain't comfortable". Got a K1200 LT and the wife said, "ZZZZZZZZZZ".

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #19 of 33 Old May 27th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Life's too short to be wasted on anything less than the best. Why settle for less?

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #20 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 12:04 am

I had always owned Yamaha's I took a ride on the full dresser Yam at the Indy dealer I won't mention their name because they are not worthy of mention. After the fiasco that took place there I went to my brothers house for dinner. During the meal he said I go by a bike shop everyday. I said what kind of bikes and he said all I know is they have helmets, motorcycle wearing apparel, and two wheeled vehicles with motors on them. So we went by Revard's BMW I saw the LT and liked what I saw. After some research online I went down when they were open and asked for a test ride. Not having my helmet with me I was turned down but I came back with my helmet and went on a five mile circuit by myself. I stopped in a parking lot for some slow maneuvers and like the way it handled at low speeds. I went back to the shop and said order me a blue one. I'm saddened to say that Revard's is no longer there the owner Bill Revard was the best dealer in the world. I was always well taken care of and everyone at the shop was very courteous to me. I miss those guys I stop from time to time to see Bill at his other business. As for the LT my first one met it's demise by hitting a deer (Horned Rat). As soon as I was able to walk again I told Bill to order me another blue one. It was a TLE I have been very happy ever since.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #21 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 12:45 am
Gold Supporter

I test rode a 1200RT and then rode the 05 LT immediately after someone else had returned from a test ride on the demo LT. That was it! I hadn't been on it thirty minutes and realized it was for me. My wife has no inclination to ever set foot on it but was kind enough to give it a name, i.e., DDM, which stands for damn dumb motorcycle...ya gotta love those thoughts of total endearment!

Below is the text of a statement by another fellow and I have this posted above the interior door of my wood working room where I design and build high end furniture. I believe this statement quite accurately summarizes a lot about the choice of a LT vs other choices:

"IT'S UNWISE TO PAY TOO MUCH, IT'S UNWISE TO PAY TOO LITTLE. WHEN YOU PAY TOO MUCH, YOU LOSE A LITTLE MONEY, THAT IS ALL.

WHEN YOU PAY TOO LITTLE, YOU LOSE EVERYTHINHG, BECAUSE THE THING YOU BOUGHT WAS INCAPABLE OF DOING THE THING YOU BOUGHT IT TO DO.

THE COMMON LAW OF BUSINESS, AND RECREATION BALANCE FOR THAT MATTER, PROHIBITS PAYING A LITTLE AND GETTING A LOT. IT CAN'T BE DONE. IF YOU DEAL WITH THE LOWEST VALUE, OR BIDDER OF SERVICES, IT'S WELL TO ADD SOMETHIHNG FOR THE RISK YOU RUN.

AND IF YOU DO THAT, YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH TO PAY FOR SOMETHING BETTER."

JOHN RUSKIN (1819-1900)

The above quote is just part of the reason we have one of these beasts!

Terry
post #22 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 5:05 am

Patric, Same story here. My wife of 33 years had not ridden behind me on a bike since we were juniors in high school. I fell in love with the LT and absolutely had to have one. My espoused said that she would ride with me if I bought one with a sidecar so that it wouldn't tip. I found one, a Hannigan Astro sidecar and a purple LT at the right price point with the right miles on it and she rode 3 times with the sidecar on and last week around town without it. She didn't squeek even one time even when we "tipped" to go around corners. What a joy! It looks like if I'm careful she will eventually ride without the sidecar. Then the only time we'll need the sidecar is when Bullethead the Boston Terrier goes riding with us. I have found myself thinking in the last couple days I should put the sidecar back on so I will probably take the 10 minutes and install it before the weekend.

The other reason is that there is no more graceful looking touring bike made. Most people don't even glance at GWings but there are nearly always people looking at the LT when I come out of a store. With the sidecar on there is usually a small crowd. It is an unusual looking vehicle.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #23 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 6:00 am

Quote:
'cause Momma sed so...
Yea, that's kind of how it happened and i'll never fogive her either

Thanks Honey, anything to make you happy

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #24 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
It's 9:00 AM. I'm on Colorado #165 westbound out of Colorado City. My 19-year-old son is on the 1100 Yamaha bringing up the rear. It's broken sunlight to mostly cloudy and drops to 49 degrees as we top the summit and run down the twisties of the Continental Divide, turning north on Colorado #96 and #67. Breakfast is at Two Sisters Diner in Florence. On to the Royal Gorge and back down as the thunderstorms just miss us with lots of lightning visible in the mirrors but with us staying dry. Eventually back to the KOA after some more sight seeing in the Pueblo area and a rain break at a local Sonic drive-in. It rains like a bitch after we get the bikes covered and us inside . The next morning it's 270 miles back to where we started. We arrive tired, burnt, and happy.

That's why you bought your LT, just in case you forgot.
This is why I bought a Motorcycle. The reason I bought a LT. I took my wife to a dealer that had a used HD Ultraclassic, Goldwing, and a LT. I told her I will buy the one you like the best. I thought i would be buying a GW but momma liked the LT the best. Now every day the weather is decent she wants to ride. To be honest I thought I would only ride the LT when 2up and ride my R1200C the rest of the time. But the LT is simply fun to ride.

Ride it like you stole it!!
post #25 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 7:38 am

I only rode small dirt bikes and my wife hated to ride. Then I bought a Honda VLX and she enjoyed riding around the neighborhood. Later I bought a Connie and she enjoyed riding around the metroplex. Then we bought an LT...now she rides around the country.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #26 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 8:25 am

I've been riding for over 14 years. My HD just wasn't cutting it any more and the dang thing was loud, shaky and not comfortable for LONG rides. How far I could ride my HD was a limiting factor, not to mention it had saddlebags, but they wouldn't hold much.

I wanted a touring bike.

I didn't want a V-twin. That left the GW and LT.

All the GW's I looked at (generalizing here), seemed to look the same to me; white trash/trucker style (all the gadgets they could find at the Flying J / JC Whitney catalog mounted on it somewhere) and the LT, well, it was clean and sexy lookin and seemed to have a very good reputation.

early last year, I found a used '05 sorta in my price range at the local dealer, took it for a test drive and was impressed.. I thought about it for a while and well, you snooze, you lose.
Riding season passed here in CO and my mind drifted off to snowboarding and other activities.... although I still thought about the open road and seeing CO and points beyond from a bike.

The weather here stared to turn favorable for riding and my desire for the open road grew. I started shopping around. I figured I'd open my search up to the K1200GT and R1150's. I looked at several, was down to a K1200LT and A R1150(?) negotiating back and forth with their owners, I stumbled into a 00 LT at the local dealers web site while looking for parts that the R1150 needed... I called and confirmed they still had it, left work a bit early, checked it out and took it for a 45 min test drive. I bought it that very day. Every nice riding day since then I've been on the road with her. My daughter and now exgf like the ride, way better than the HD.

This bike handles better than any other bike I've owned. She's not into the sub 40 mph speeds, she likes the open road

'00 K1200 LTC
post #27 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
'cause Momma sed so...
+20 or so
I guess technically she din't sed so, just sat on it in the show room while I was looking at RTs & KSs, and said, "Ooooo this is nice." but I picked up on that subtle nuance.

Gotta admit, I love it. First day in the saddle was 600 miles and I was grinnin' from ear to ear.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #28 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 9:14 am

Wow! BMW may need to rethink there marketing strategy.

It was 99 or 00 and I had money down on a bike... you can guess what brand. Talking to a co-worker friend about riding and he told me, "Come check out my bike." Wow! I asked if I could bring the wife by to see it. She checks it out, and after that I retrieved my money for the bike I had a deposit on. Mentioned a few other possibilities but she said something to the effect, "Why don't you just get what you want." I believe she meant why don't I get what SHE wants.

Love it!
post #29 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Good question!

Back in the spring of 2002, I was riding a VTX 1800C. I decided, after a 12 state trip, that the seating position of a Cruiser was just too uncomfortable for me with the lower back damage I had suffered from a rear-ender.

I went to one of the Giant local Honda Dealers and test rode a GL1800 for about 50 miles and loved the seating position and power of the GoldWing.

I decided to trade in the 1 year old VTX, with 10,000 miles on it for a GoldWing.
However, the Honda Dealer was not in the least interested in taking the VTX in on trade stating "Why would I want a used VTX on the floor with all the New Ones I have for sale?"
I spoke to the Manager and he backed up his salesman's position.

So the next day I rode the VTX over to the local BMW shop and test rode a 2002 LT and was hooked withing 10 miles of the test ride and returned to the shop. I asked them if I could take the bike overnight so I could try it out two-up with Sue, and they had no problem at all with that to my surprise.

Needles to say, Sue loved it as well. I returned the loaner the next morning when they opened and struck a deal with them where they gave me $12k for the year-old 10,000 mile VTX on trade in for a new 02 KLTe.

Sue picked the color Black and I wrote them a check for $9,000 and change.

I have never regretted the purchase and still have the LT, with 140,000 on the clock.

Since then I have purchased an 06 GS Adventure and have about 80k on the clock.

This past January 17th I purchased a new 08 GL1800 from Southern Honda in Chattanooga and have 14k on it already.
Dave,

Just wondering,why the Goldwing? I have thought of buying one myself. My neighbor has one and I test drove it. He is short and has it set up for him and is probably why I didn't like it. I have a Rune which has the Goldwing motor so I understand the low end torque attraction. Do you prefer one over the other for trips etc.? Just curious, I know you have been on the board for a long time, so what are your thoughts
post #30 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 10:12 am

Had stopped at dealer to get airhead serviced, W came up and said "I gotta show you something!" I followed her, and there it was. Black. We quickly decided it was designed and built for us. Soon after the hauling trailer was sold, as it was clear we would RIDE THERE now. That one saved my bacon when an SUV attacked it, so got another one.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #31 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 12:06 pm

As I and others have said our wives or S.O. had a major decision about our LT purchase. And someone mentioned something there wife said that was the same as my wife said. I thought it'd be funny to share what she tought of what we had considered to buy.

Victory Vision (test rode) "It looks cool but will we think so in a year?"

HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (test rode) "Looks, sounds and feels beefy and muscular"

Honda Goldwing (not allowed to test ride) "I feel like I'm on a sofa and not a motorcycle." (in showroom)

BMW K1200LT (test rode) "Now that is sexy."

BMW R1200CLC (test rode) "It looks like an ant."

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #32 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Now this is interesting, you see my wife of 24 years had no clue i bought another motorcycle. I had bought 2 this past year just trying to find one that would fit me. The 1600 was real nice but just could't go far. Then my buddy and I stopped at the local BMW dealer, when I sat on the LT I new I found the bike for me, now came the hard part. Telling the wife. I thought to my self, self she will never know the difference, she don't ride with me and she doesn't know one from the other, the new one is black and the 03 was red, ah I thought I'll just tell her I painted it.

To make a longer story short my wife and I and a couple of co-workers went to dinner, now these guys could't wait to rat me out,I could just smell it. Well as the story goes they told her, I thought she was going to stab me with the fork in the middle of Denny's. she's 5' 2" but I know not to mess with her. After several months she started to talk to me so I guess all is well, then about a month ago I was going home and hit a deer. Talk about bad luck, but ya know I would't give the bike up for nothing. In my opinion it's the best ride out there bar none. I always say it's better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission.

Newest Addition --Black 09 LT
03 1600 Kawasaki
93 Honda 1100 ACE
86 Yamaha 650
BMW MOA # 148120
post #33 of 33 Old May 28th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I liked the Color, well not only the color :-)
The power/torque is outstanding as is the fuel economy and rider/pillion comfort.
What fuel mileage do you get on the Wing? You are one of the first I've seen to say they thought the fuel economy was even good, let alone outstanding. Most folks don't get even 45 on the highway.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in