Clutch Slip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 26th, 2009, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Clutch Slip

Went on a ride to New Mexico this weekend with some buddies. Early on in the trip, I hammered down on the throttle from a dead stop while slipping the clutch a little in first gear. The bike took off for a few feet and then all of a sudden it was like I had pulled the clutch lever. The rpm maxed out and the bike wasn't moving any faster. I was afraid my trip might be in jeopardy, but it never acted up again. Clutch held all weekend and I didn't baby it at all. I hope I don't have a slave cyl. problem. Has anyone had the clutch slip like this and it not be the slave cyl or oil contamination? I have drilled the bell housing weep hole years ago and no oil is there. I should drill the slave hole but haven't . Is it possible to spin the clutch w/o contamination.25 k on an 02 model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 26th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Re: Clutch Slip

I think you found the weak spot on the LT which is the high first gear. It just won't let you dump the clutch and hammer it. You have to get the clutch fully engaged before you nail the throttle. At least that has been my experience.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 8 Old May 26th, 2009, 5:17 pm

It may be OK, try gunning it in 3rd or 4th, if no slip, sounds like your clutch is OK

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #4 of 8 Old May 26th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I agree with Steve, you "smoked" the linings of the clutch and it slipped. Should be OK after cool off. I did that one time in a second gear take off after an a__hole cut me off. Clutch was spinning like crazy and what a smell. That was four years ago and she has been working fine ever since.

I never get above 1800 RPM when starting out but once the clutch is engaged you can hammer it and leave everything in the dust. First gear is good to about 62 mph.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 8 Old May 27th, 2009, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I at least know I'm not alone here. It freaked me out and all the different scenarios came to mind. I love this bike for traveling and didn't want to spend a lot of money on her right now. I would like to drill the weep for the slave cylinder some time though.
post #6 of 8 Old May 27th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I think you found the weak spot on the LT which is the high first gear. It just won't let you dump the clutch and hammer it. You have to get the clutch fully engaged before you nail the throttle. At least that has been my experience.
+1 on this post, here I was waiting on my clutch to fail. It does the same thing. Got to love the shear plethora of information running through these posts....

P.S.- so how ya think that the "stunt" rider pulled off the wheelie on the LT?

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #7 of 8 Old May 27th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
P.S.- so how ya think that the "stunt" rider pulled off the wheelie on the LT?
I suppose your talking about the fellow in this video. If you'll pay attention he IS already moving when he pulls the wheelie so he's NOT doing it from a dead stop. You might want to read this post about him and how he toasted a clutch.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 8 Old May 27th, 2009, 1:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The best indication of an impending clutch failure is to put high load on the clutch in 4th or 5th gear. Since the clutch loses it's mechanical advantage in the higher gears it will always slip first under high torque in the higher gears. As the clutch deteriorates it will slip more easily and you will see the slippage in the lower gears. By that point, going up even moderate inclines will cause slippage and you will see RPM increases without speed increase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in