common to have the throttle cable break? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 26th, 2009, 9:34 am Thread Starter

common to have the throttle cable break?

I have 47k on the bike and unfortuntaley the throttle cable decided to break 25 mile N of Mexican Hat this weekend - Ruining what was a great 3 day bike trip.
Don't recall seeing this as being a "common" problem other wise I would have replaced the cables at 40k. I don't think the service manual recommends it a th 40k service either.
Other notes- rear drive that was just rebuilt by my local dealer is now leaking. Glad I have the extended warranty to cover this stuff.
As much as I love the LT this trip has really made me think about going to a simpler bike like the GS. Does anyone own one - or has owned one in the past? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

TBob
09 R1200 GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 26th, 2009, 10:13 am

Re: common to have the throttle cable break?

Sorry to hear about your mechanical difficulties. If you haven't upgraded to the new style throttle cables, I believe the breaking was a common occurance, as was having a right forearm like Popeye. I had the cable break on me in while I was riding from Reno, NV, to Los Angeles. I managed to use the cruise control to go the next 200 miles. I would have gone further, but someone put a stop sign in the middle of nowhere and there happened to be another car at the intersection, so I had to stop and do my work around there.

The GS is a great bike, depending on what you want to do with it. You can do long touring on it, but you'll miss a few things from the LT, like cruise control, built in radio, and wind/weather protection. You can off road with it, but do realize that its a 600 pound monster and takes a lot of work to ride it off the pavement.

After the throttle cable upgrade and getting your rear drive leak fixed, I'd ride the LT for another 10k miles and see if it still "moves" me.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 7 Old May 26th, 2009, 10:16 am

Hey TBob...I had mine replaced on my 02 LTC under warrenty the first time around 24k miles due to problems they had with a real stiff throttle.

I just picked my LTC up from the dealer on saturday, with new trottle cables. At 123k miles, they were frayed (found while doing the 12k service and fixing the broken exhaust header bolts, also replaced at 24k).

Looks like 100k might be the magic number, for some of us at least.

One thing 4 sure, replace those plastic fuel QD's at 40k or you will get stranded.

post #4 of 7 Old May 26th, 2009, 10:30 am Thread Starter

New style? My bik is an 03 when did the new style take place.
I tried the cuise trick but it didn't work - rolled it down a big hill and tried to set it, nothing -
Yea not having cruise would suck. My buddies told me bigger windscreens are availible for the GS
I think I need to rent one for a day to see if my beat up arse can ride one for an extended period comfortably.
Thanks
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Sorry to hear about your mechanical difficulties. If you haven't upgraded to the new style throttle cables, I believe the breaking was a common occurance, as was having a right forearm like Popeye. I had the cable break on me in while I was riding from Reno, NV, to Los Angeles. I managed to use the cruise control to go the next 200 miles. I would have gone further, but someone put a stop sign in the middle of nowhere and there happened to be another car at the intersection, so I had to stop and do my work around there.

The GS is a great bike, depending on what you want to do with it. You can do long touring on it, but you'll miss a few things from the LT, like cruise control, built in radio, and wind/weather protection. You can off road with it, but do realize that its a 600 pound monster and takes a lot of work to ride it off the pavement.

After the throttle cable upgrade and getting your rear drive leak fixed, I'd ride the LT for another 10k miles and see if it still "moves" me.

TBob
09 R1200 GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #5 of 7 Old May 26th, 2009, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Yea the fuel line already broke on me on another ride. Rode is 15mile to the next town with gas gushing out of it like a geyser. Replace it with a barbed brass fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Hey TBob...I had mine replaced on my 02 LTC under warrenty the first time around 24k miles due to problems they had with a real stiff throttle.

I just picked my LTC up from the dealer on saturday, with new trottle cables. At 123k miles, they were frayed (found while doing the 12k service and fixing the broken exhaust header bolts, also replaced at 24k).

Looks like 100k might be the magic number, for some of us at least.

One thing 4 sure, replace those plastic fuel QD's at 40k or you will get stranded.

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

post #6 of 7 Old May 27th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob
I have 47k on the bike and unfortuntaley the throttle cable decided to break 25 mile N of Mexican Hat this weekend - Ruining what was a great 3 day bike trip.
Don't recall seeing this as being a "common" problem other wise I would have replaced the cables at 40k. I don't think the service manual recommends it a th 40k service either.
Other notes- rear drive that was just rebuilt by my local dealer is now leaking. Glad I have the extended warranty to cover this stuff.
As much as I love the LT this trip has really made me think about going to a simpler bike like the GS. Does anyone own one - or has owned one in the past? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

Yes, mine broke on a trip to Santa Fe while riding with another couple on a full dress HD, you think I didn't get a LOT of good natured ribbing about that one????

The new cables will make a BIG difference!!

Good luck,

radar

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #7 of 7 Old May 27th, 2009, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Boy that would have made it alot worse!! especially how much I don't like HD.

Thanks -

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar41

Bob,

Yes, mine broke on a trip to Santa Fe while riding with another couple on a full dress HD, you think I didn't get a LOT of good natured ribbing about that one????

The new cables will make a BIG difference!!

Good luck,

radar

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'01 KTM 520 EXC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in