Don't let your belly drag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old May 25th, 2009, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Angry Don't let your belly drag

Leaving a gas pump in Meadows of Dan, VA this afternoon, Franny and I were loaded and headed for a trip down the BRP. I had no more than picked my feet up after letting the clutch out and the bike stopped as if it had been tethered to a bulldozer. The impact stopped us dead in our tracks and we fell over slowly to the right. We both did a cool Joe Mannix roll and were on our feet quickly to see if we could figure out what happened. As it turned out, I had driven over the fill cap of the underground fuel tank and where most of them are about 3 inches off of the ground, this one was about 5 and it caught the undercarriage of the bike and broke a centerstand bolt, sidestand bolt, and dumped my tranny oil on the tarmac. Unbelievably, got a ride with a guy from the area and he threw the bike on a lowboy trailer and drove us three hours home. All I can figure is that after my front tire rolled over it, the shocks compressed and it caught lip to lip and smashed the cast aluminum underneath. Stay away from them, I'm sure this will be a high $$ fix.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old May 25th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Re: Don't let your belly drag

I wonder how many of those "punk" cars drag parts off...?

This happened to me once in a Chevelle... pulled the muffler plumb off the car!

The station should pay or help...
post #3 of 36 Old May 26th, 2009, 7:15 am

Several years ago... About ten, I hit one of those three feet round steel diamond plate covers in a gas station parking lot.
It was early morning and there was dew on it.
My Ducati went down quick.

Since then I try to avoid everything in parking lots.

But my question would be why did you not aim for a different route through the lot?
It is never a good idea to hit the obsticles when you only have two wheels.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 36 Old May 26th, 2009, 7:48 am

Ouch, John

I can imagine your frustration; "been there done that" . I mean I also broke my gearbox when coming down a too high street curb. Mine did not break completely, I only realized the problem next day when I saw oil under the bike...
Anyway, I got mine covered by insurance. I hope you can get some cover from the gas station but it might well be that they say "you should watch where you ride".
If you end up paying everything, you might want to check out the used parts market for the gearbox. There should be plenty available.

I see you live in Defiance OH, I know your town. I was an exchange student in Archbold for a year back in 73-74 and my host family originates from Defiance.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #5 of 36 Old May 26th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Well, that sucks. But thanks for sharing this tip; I had not considered that a problem before. I will now!

"Joe Mannix"? You don't look nearly old enough to know about Mannix!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 36 Old May 26th, 2009, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Mike,

In the past I've made a habit of playing connect the dots with fill caps but after reading your suggestion I may have to re-think this tactic as it is getting expensive. Anywhere else I'd have to pay for such incredible advise, I love this site.

Diehly

post #7 of 36 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehly
Thanks Mike,

In the past I've made a habit of playing connect the dots with fill caps but after reading your suggestion I may have to re-think this tactic as it is getting expensive. Anywhere else I'd have to pay for such incredible advise, I love this site.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 36 Old May 27th, 2009, 10:18 am

sucks - My buddy Dave had a similar thing happen to him
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6110

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #9 of 36 Old May 27th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Does it qualify as a Mannix roll if you don't get hit on the head? Seems like he was knocked on the head in every episode.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I avoid those fill caps even when I'm in my car. "Which they are hazards to navigation, for all love". (in case there are any Patrick O'Brian readers out there).

I don't have a "bash plate" on my '99 so I am really hinky about stuff that sticks up.
post #10 of 36 Old May 31st, 2009, 4:03 pm

Gosh, this really sucks. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and glad to hear you guys didn't get hurt falling over unprepared like that. I wanted to mention I remember reading about a guy, I think he was in France (?) who cracked his tranny case in a similar fashion and had the case welded, which saved tons of money.
I'm short on time, or I'd do a search for you.

HTH

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #11 of 36 Old May 31st, 2009, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Got the estimate from the dealer at $10,200!!!! This was a 3-5 mph hook-up and I have a working skid plate. Adjuster is to go over this week and have a look see. I'm just freakin exstatic about this outcome. Otherwise someone might mistake me for coming off like a whiner.

Diehly

post #12 of 36 Old May 31st, 2009, 8:38 pm

$10,200? Unbelievable.

How close is that to being totaled?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 36 Old May 31st, 2009, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Kelly's Blue Book is showing $13,400 but that's high. I can't in good conscience keep this up.

Diehly

post #14 of 36 Old May 31st, 2009, 9:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

$10,200 seems awful high for a repair when a new transmission is only $3,340.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 36 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 2:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
$10,200 seems awful high for a repair when a new transmission is only $3,340.
Exactly! How is this kind of pricing possible?! What else needs to be replaced than the gearbox?

My transmission swap at the dealer was about 4200 euros and the tranny was about 3000 euros. So the 1200 eur covers the labor, new skid plate, oil etc.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #16 of 36 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Got the estimate from the dealer at $10,200!!!! This was a 3-5 mph hook-up and I have a working skid plate. Adjuster is to go over this week and have a look see. I'm just freakin exstatic about this outcome. Otherwise someone might mistake me for coming off like a whiner.
John
What a rip! I'm lost for words on the whole episode from the time you hit the hole until your friendly dealer is trying to put you in he hole. Keep your chin up and you'll figure a way out of this mess. Thankful that neither you or your bride were injured.

Don S
post #17 of 36 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 6:02 pm

If you are a little mechanically inclined, you can get away with a much lower bill, you take the tranny out, have a good welder fix it up and fill with fresh oil, put back in and ride again. I know, I did just that! (see pics)!
I bought a salvaged 2005 LT in really bad shape and spent the winter three years ago rebuilding it, buying parts on Ebay from all over the country. The Spring came and I was a little worried but after a couple of thousand miles, we went on a trip from Sherbrooke Quebec, to Denver, Co and the rockies and back without any issues. You can probly do the same, for more pics send an email: [email protected] Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.garage.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	23264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0053.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	23265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0054.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	23266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0050.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	23267  
post #18 of 36 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:02 pm

Garage

Holy Cow Batman!

That's sounds insanely high! Might as well let them total it and buy a new one.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #19 of 36 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

I got the itemized print out today. In addition to the tranny, I need a new hydraulic centerstand, as well as sidestand. There are alot of cosmetic items that the dealership was looking out for my best interest and for some minor scratches listed replacement parts, I also have to research a couple of parts with some help. I'll update later.

Diehly

post #20 of 36 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:21 pm

what a bummer...

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #21 of 36 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:19 am

Quote:
Are you freaking kidding me!?! They would have had to get a few guys and pick me up off the floor after showing me that estimate. I would take the bike to a different dealer STAT, and get another estimate. Talk about gouging........
For that amount of money, you could also upgrade the clutch, rebuild the motor, add some farkles, and still have enough money to take a trip with. Wow.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #22 of 36 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:41 am

If you are going to try not to ride over anything that sticks up out of the ground, then I guess this is as good a thread as any on which to tell you about something that can be very hazardous to motorcyclists and floatplane (or any type of seaplane) pilots.

Don't wear polarizing sunglasses when you ride or fly. They work by blocking light polarized in the horizontal plane, which is caused by reflection from shiny, horizontal surfaces (like manhole covers and the surface of water). Since the right and left eye see in stereoscopic fashion, and the light polarization differs slightly between the right and left eye image, a "supersteroscopic" image is produced, in which a manhole which is actually flush with the street surface can suddenly appear to be sticking up as much as four inches out of the ground. It can cause unexpected weaving at the last second around manhole covers (which most people try to avoid anyway, but cannot always do).

For you floatplane pilots out there, there have been some fatalities from performing the landing flareout 10 - 20 ft above the water. Hopefully you already know this from your training (I do not hold a seaplane rating, but have a M/E ATP with a CFII for ASMEL).
post #23 of 36 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:03 pm

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Frekin outrages. I get whinny with $300 bills. This BMW membership is way to rich for my blood. I owned a helicopter with less maintenance cost,, seriously. My next bike will likely be something else, sorry forum.

post #24 of 36 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapleford

Sorry to hear that. Frekin outrages. I get whinny with $300 bills. This BMW membership is way to rich for my blood. I owned a helicopter with less maintenance cost,, seriously. My next bike will likely be something else, sorry forum.
I'm already looking into it. I'm done.

Diehly

post #25 of 36 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 5:54 pm

Quote:
I'm already looking into it. I'm done.
But will Mrs. D. be just as comfortable on the back seat of anything else?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #26 of 36 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Well guys, the party is over. After my little mishap, they totaled the bike. To add insult to injury, when I went to pick the bike up from the dealer, they charged $877 for the estimate and 14 days of storage. I had an 03 and an 05 and absolutely loved the bike. Picked it up from the dealer on a tuesday, flew to Little Rock on Friday and 1800 miles later, was home on a gorgeous new GL. Without you guys this would have happened a long time ago. This site has been unbelievably helpful and the support from the community has been incredible. Corporate and the dealer network, not so much. I've got a list of farkles I will be listing soon. The waves are way down on the GL but my wife said that I say that with every new bike.

I like the forum too much to leave so I'll be lurking around.

Peace,

Diehly

post #27 of 36 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 9:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Congrats on the new ride. Don't be a stranger here, you are always welcome back. Bring the GL on down to the smokies in October.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #28 of 36 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:02 pm

Quote:

Darn right you will. Bring it by so I can have a look see

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #29 of 36 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 6:17 am

Congrats on the Civic!

Just a thought - maybe you should 'evaluate' that stealership in the "dealers" forum. Boggles the mind... "Well, if you won't go for our preposterous estimate, we can still squeeze some blood out of ya".
My kinda place.
To avoid at all costs.

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #30 of 36 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 8:39 pm

Tell us more about the Wing. Anything you will miss about the LT performance and ride related?

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #31 of 36 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 8:50 pm

Congratulations to John and Frannie on the new ride!

A couple of photos would be nice. It's a black '09, isn't it?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #32 of 36 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

There wasn't enough change to justify the extra $$ for an 09 so I got a new 08. I have now had all three of the touring cruisers. Ultra, LT, and now the GL. They each have their strong points, and their weak points. I'm glad that I got to learn how to ride the twisties on the LT because it made learning on the GL a breeze. One thing that is taking some getting used to is that when you lay the LT over the center stand drags, but on the GL the peg touches first and the sensation through my boots was enough to make my butt slam shut the first time it touched. For aggressive riding in the twisties, the LT wins, but the performance of the GL is incredible. Thanks for the invite in Oct. John, if I can get clearance from the tower, I will be there with bells on.

Diehly

post #33 of 36 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 7:19 am

Quote:
There wasn't enough change to justify the extra $$ for an 09 so I got a new 08. I have now had all three of the touring cruisers. Ultra, LT, and now the GL. They each have their strong points, and their weak points. I'm glad that I got to learn how to ride the twisties on the LT because it made learning on the GL a breeze. One thing that is taking some getting used to is that when you lay the LT over the center stand drags, but on the GL the peg touches first and the sensation through my boots was enough to make my butt slam shut the first time it touched. For aggressive riding in the twisties, the LT wins, but the performance of the GL is incredible. Thanks for the invite in Oct. John, if I can get clearance from the tower, I will be there with bells on.

The dealership charged YOU for quoting the damage? That is just wrong! My BMW dealership billed State Farm directly for the total estimate. I was completely out of the loop. If your insurance chose to total, then they should pay the freight on getting to that point, storage included!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #34 of 36 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 7:37 am

Quote:
Well guys, the party is over. After my little mishap, they totaled the bike. To add insult to injury, when I went to pick the bike up from the dealer, they charged $877 for the estimate and 14 days of storage. I had an 03 and an 05 and absolutely loved the bike. Picked it up from the dealer on a tuesday, flew to Little Rock on Friday and 1800 miles later, was home on a gorgeous new GL. Without you guys this would have happened a long time ago. This site has been unbelievably helpful and the support from the community has been incredible. Corporate and the dealer network, not so much. I've got a list of farkles I will be listing soon. The waves are way down on the GL but my wife said that I say that with every new bike.

Peace,
Me and the Mrs have also decided to move over to the GL1800 for retirement ! We will be moving to an area pretty much void of BMW shops, and we want to pull a trailer when we travel, so the LT will have to go in a couple of years. I too will continue to hang around, and stay in-touch with this community...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #35 of 36 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Mark I used you as one of my references and got what you did for totaling the bike. If I mistated, I'm sorry, the insurance company has taken care of everthing except my deductable. They even agreed to pay the good samariton for hauling the bike for me as well as the estimate and storage, not much choice when they are holding a gun to your head. Like yourself, I'm happy with the outcome and will see you on the road.

Diehly

post #36 of 36 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:42 am

Quote:
Mark I used you as one of my references and got what you did for totaling the bike. If I mistated, I'm sorry, the insurance company has taken care of everthing except my deductable. They even agreed to pay the good samariton for hauling the bike for me as well as the estimate and storage, not much choice when they are holding a gun to your head. Like yourself, I'm happy with the outcome and will see you on the road.
not a problem, I thought that the dealer charged you for the setimate and storage. Loving the new '09, hope the GL is working out for you as well!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in