K1200LT down - abs fault - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 25th, 2009, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT down - abs fault

Well, after driving the LT for 2 years, 16000km, I was down today. (for the first time)
I just lost friction in a turn, low speed, the bike had some plastic damages, I have wear on boots and leather-pants.

I have new ěhlins and new ME880 aft, in front I have half way used ME880.
Does the ěhlins have anything to do with this?
Or was I only unlucky with grease/oil on the tires or/and in the drive way?

I also got an fault on the ABS system. I can see from other treads that it is usual after the beast have been down?! Any more thoughts about this?
I know that there are a tread about resetting the abs system, are there other solutions? Or is a dealer the best solution?

2k K12LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 25th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Re: K1200LT down - abs fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornor
Well, after driving the LT for 2 years, 16000km, I was down today. (for the first time)
I just lost friction in a turn, low speed, the bike had some plastic damages, I have wear on boots and leather-pants.

I also got an fault on the ABS system. I can see from other treads that it is usual after the beast have been down?! Any more thoughts about this?
I know that there are a tread about resetting the abs system, are there other solutions? Or is a dealer the best solution?
Glad you are OK. Did your one of your tires lose traction and slide out from under you causing the bike to "low-side", or did it just fall over at slow speed? The latter is VERY common on the LT.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 15 Old May 25th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Sounds like he lost traction. But there are a lot of variables.

Was it raining? Tar snakes? Hot day on asphalt?

And yes, shocks not adjusted properly could cause you to lose traction if your tires float/skip over bumps.

Blame it on a slippery spot on the road. I always do.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 12:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Glad you are OK. Did your one of your tires lose traction and slide out from under you causing the bike to "low-side", or did it just fall over at slow speed? The latter is VERY common on the LT.
Yes, I lost traction and the LT slide out from under me causing the bike to "low-side", not a good feeling.
And my question is: what can I do to prevent it from happend again? (Leave the bike in garage is not an option!)

2k K12LT
post #5 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 12:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Sounds like he lost traction. But there are a lot of variables.

Was it raining? Tar snakes? Hot day on asphalt?

And yes, shocks not adjusted properly could cause you to lose traction if your tires float/skip over bumps.

Blame it on a slippery spot on the road. I always do.
Hello,

Yes it had been raining, but not much.
The asphalt was old and "stony", temperature was 10deg C. (not hot)
And there was no bumps.

Maybe a slippery spot, but I returned to the scene later, and was not able to notice any slippery spot:-(
My main concern is if it can happend again, in higher speed, with my wife on.......

2k K12LT
post #6 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 12:30 am

How many km's on the new aft tire? New tires are slippery for the first 100 kms. Look at your tire and you should be able to see a skid pattern where the tire started to lose grip.

To keep from low siding again, go back and look at the place in the road where it happened. See if there is something on the road that would have caused you to slide, like sand, oil, gravel, road paint.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #7 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 12:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornor

You state: new ME880 aft. How new? Scrubbed in yet?
If you want better wet weather traction,you will need to switch to the BT-020's
and put up with quicker wear.

dan
post #8 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 3:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
How many km's on the new aft tire? New tires are slippery for the first 100 kms. Look at your tire and you should be able to see a skid pattern where the tire started to lose grip.

To keep from low siding again, go back and look at the place in the road where it happened. See if there is something on the road that would have caused you to slide, like sand, oil, gravel, road paint.
Thank you for answering.

The deck is quite new, I had driven it for 5 hours when the accident occurred.
That would be around 250-350km. But I have not that many km on the deck-sides:-)
I can see a skid pattern on the deck, thought it was due to the LT sliding laying down.

I can not tell if I lost grip on front or aft. (It felt like it was in front, but I am not shure)

I have looked at the place, nothing to see. I have walked thru the hole area, not slippery at all to my boots.

2k K12LT
post #9 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 8:28 am
cws

Garage

Did it lay down flat, or did you feel it slide at the rear?
My 05 went down on a round-about 2 years ago when a truck had dumped sand on the road, I was only doing about 10-15kph at the time as its a tight turn... the front just slid away, mainly plastic damage which sounds similar to what you are describing.
Once the front starts to go like that you have no hope of keeping the bike up because of the weight, and you'll be sliding on your side before you know what is going on.
Different feeling with the rear, it can break traction, slide and jump around a bit and you can still catch it and keep it upright with careful acceleration and braking control, and maybe a bit of help from a foot on the ground.
Sounds to me like you lost the front on the wet and bumpy road.. you're just a passenger then.
It pisses you off, but the only thing you can do is slow down a little more in those situations, try not to lean the bike as much to get around the turn, keep it more upright and steer slowly around the curve.
I wouldn't worry about it 2-up.. you've learned your lesson I think... much like I did!
With Ms Precious on the back, it never slides!!

piccy

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 9:26 am

you sure you didn't hit the center stand causing you to break traction?

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #11 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 10:24 am

I suspect road oil, because you said it was raining but not much.

thats a nasty recipe here in socal, light rain is a bit frightening!

I've lowsided the LT twice while moving, once in the water with algae on the bottom (doh!) and once on ice (double doh!!)...mmm, both in Texas too!! what is it about that state

Wife was on it during the ice-capade. No worries, gear did the trick and she had no complaints..because she said she was on the road so fast she didn't even know what happened

What I did find early on with the bike that I'm not used to is a lot of torque during accel.

I was running up to speed on a rainy ramp in TX back on 03 and the bike nearly went sideways, I didn't even realize the back tire was spinning. You may have had this happen to you. I corrected but sometimes that ain't an option on the light tank
post #12 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I had a <20 MPH low side get off about three weeks ago with identical results except my left mirror needed to be duct taped back on . I had wet slippery conditions and came upon a steel cattle guard on a corner with no warning signage. After I got it picked back up my ABS warning lights were flashing and cycling power and normal start up procedures did not reset the fault. Fortunately I own a GS-911 and I had it and my travel PC with me. The GS-911 reported a "Wheel Blocked" fault which the GS-911 was able to clear. After that all was well with the world .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #13 of 15 Old May 26th, 2009, 5:29 pm

If your ABS is still faulting and you don't have ready access to a GS-911, here is a thread with a reset procedure.----> http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30942 Getting to the ABS harness to add a wire to pin 21 can be daunting. Once the wire is in place, zip tie it to the frame. I have an alligator clip on the end of mine. Could have used a spade terminal, but the clip gives the wire the ability to hold itself to ground. I cover the clip with electrical tape. I'm not sure what would happen if I didn't, but I'm not taking any chances.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #14 of 15 Old May 27th, 2009, 12:50 am Thread Starter

I have learned that it was my front tire that sliped away.
I dont know what have caused the oil on the tire, road or oil on the tire.
The speed was low, ab 30kmh, it was in a round about. (In the future I will follow the wheel tracks from cars in the round about.
I was definetly not in contact with my center stand.
I lied down flat as cws describes.

I have no access to any GS-911, and have no time for looking after pin 21. Have an arrangment for dealer to reset the abs unit. (cost ab $60,-)

I have adjusted my ěhlin to a lower level (just in case), washed both tires with deck wash. Next wil be to go to the same place, to convice my self that I can manage to drive there safely

Yours input have helped me in the progress on understand why it happend, and most impotant to prevent it from happend again

So for the weekend I will hopefully be at the road with my SO, this is what it looks like:

2k K12LT

Last edited by tornor; May 27th, 2009 at 1:01 am.
post #15 of 15 Old May 27th, 2009, 1:13 am
cws

Garage

snowmobile, anyone?

glad we could help...

(ps its important, rather than impotant...) language subtleties. Enjoy your ride!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in