WOW went for my first ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

WOW went for my first ride

Where have these bikes been all my life!!!!!!
My last bike was a vmax, so the accelaration isn't there, but handling, awesome, comfort, awesome, tunes!!!!

What a great ride!!!!

Now for some questions.
Lots of funny feelings and noises at low speeds, cruise speeds at low throttle, and while breaking. Kinda like over exageated road feel, brake noise like pads chewing up routers, and stuff vibrating at low RPM. Nothing like MAJOR noise, just a lot a little stuff I need to get used to I guess.

00 LT with 14K mi

Also can I replace just the plastic on the inside of the mirrors where the springs are? My front one broke the plastic. If I could, seems like someone out to have a scratched mirror that would have good internals??
Anybody?

Thx!
larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:30 pm

Smile

Welcome. Your gonna love the LT.

Now for some answers.
Lots of funny feelings and noises at low speeds, Low speed handling can be troublesome for a time.

cruise speeds at low throttle, Don't lug it, the flying brick is a high rev motor. You'll love it above 4K

and while breaking. Noise rear brake, change to EBC pads.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:10 pm

Hard to stop smiling huh? It only gets better. I might suggest you look under the archived files and search for some of your questions. The mirror issue was just brought up about a month ago, and I believe David Shealey had a good article on how he fixed his. All that noise you hear is just horsepower straining to get out. You'll hear a lot about riding at higher rpms...4k plus. Believe them.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:47 pm

I find it quite humorous that guys are telling you to keep the revs up. You did come off of a V-Max after all. I'm hoping you're a guy who knows how to "keep the revs up".

In town, I ride 2K-4K
On the superslab, 3K - 6K
In the twisties, 4K to redline

As for the brakes, replace the rear pads with EBCs. They'll never make a sound again. Keep OEMs on the front though...better for the rotors, and they're quiet.

Ride it like you stole it!
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:43 pm

Larry, about your mirrors. If you have the black plastic parts that need to be replaced, they are only about $19 each from BMW. They are a little hard to replace but there are some good threads about how to do it without breaking any glass.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:43 pm

Another new LT rider

I am a new LT owner also, still trying to figure it out.. My other bikes are a KLX300(straight Dirt) and a XR650L Dual sport. both are quick steering, not the LT! Is it normal to here the tires in a turn? The pressure is correct tires are Michelin (sp?) brand new. also what exactly is the rpm sweet spot, I think I'm not riding it correctly most of the time less than 4k rpm's , It is still the coolest bike I've ever owned...Even the snobby Harley riders wave (not all Harley riders are snobby, just the new clicky types)
One more question,is there an aftermarket cord made for the stock intercom system?
Thanks
Tony
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:50 pm

The Metzelers growl horribly in the turns. Not much you can do about it. Buying the radial Bridgestones, you run the risk of them delaminating on you at high speeds/ heavy loads. The Avons, I like the front tyre...haven't had a rear Avon yet.

Just re-read your post. I don't think Michelin makes a proper tire for the LT. You'd better check. You may have tires on your bike that can't stand the weight of the LT. NOT GOOD!

HTH
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:00 pm

Tires

Dang, now I got to get up and check those tires, I just aired nthem up with nitrogen, and didnt even think to look at the brand..I bought the bike from a real BMW guy.
Thanks
Tony
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:07 pm

tires

Turns out there Metzlers, Good thing I checked the dang cat seems to think the passenger seat is his!
Tony
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_ag
Turns out there Metzlers, Good thing I checked the dang cat seems to think the passenger seat is his!
Tony
Makes more sense. The Metz growl worse than that cat did when you kicked him off of HIS seat.

Although I love the feel of radials over a bias-ply tire (like your Metzelers), my next set is going to be the new Bridgestone 020 bias-ply.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Talking The tire noise

In the corners was another sound. Nice to know it's the tires. I couls care less if they make noise they work great.
Already scraped something in a RH corner! Love it!
Can't wait till tomorrow! Going for another "lunch break" ride.
I'll stop by the BMW dealer and check out the plastice peices for my mirror, although the little metal peice I made seems to be working OK.
WOW!

larry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in