Slipping Clutch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2009, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Slipping Clutch

My clutch is slipping in the higher gears when I roll on a lot of gas anso when I try a high speed take off in first gear ( Read right turn on red, very scary). If I leave slow ang go through the gears no problem. 03 with 27,000..
Suggestions?

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2009, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Slipping Clutch-- Spell check

My clutch is slipping in the higher gears when I roll on a lot of gas also when I try a high speed take off in first gear ( Read right turn on red, very scary). If I leave slow ang go through the gears no problem. 03 with 27,000..
Suggestions?

Hackercraft
03 LTE

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #3 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm

Re: Slipping Clutch

Well, hate to say it but you are gonna have to replace the clutch. It is a pretty tough job on the LT, but many have done it themselves with a shop manual...some special tools and guidance/advice from others on this site. Sorry....

You should do a search on "clutch slipping" and you'll get PLENTY of info.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2009, 8:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Slipping Clutch-- Spell check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackercraft792
My clutch is slipping in the higher gears when I roll on a lot of gas also when I try a high speed take off in first gear ( Read right turn on red, very scary). If I leave slow ang go through the gears no problem. 03 with 27,000..
Suggestions?
Buy a shop manual.
Eat some Wheaties.
Study the shop manual.
Eat more Wheaties.
Buy some specialized tools per the shop manual and this site.
Eat more Wheaties.
Tear into your LT to replace the clutch and whichever seal is leaking that allowed the clutch to become contaminated.

Alternatively, take your LT and a credit card with at least $2,000 left under your credit limit to your local dealer and say "fix it."

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2009, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Buy a shop manual.
Eat some Wheaties.
Study the shop manual.
Eat more Wheaties.
Buy some specialized tools per the shop manual and this site.
Eat more Wheaties.
Tear into your LT to replace the clutch and whichever seal is leaking that allowed the clutch to become contaminated.

Alternatively, take your LT and a credit card with at least $2,000 left under your credit limit to your local dealer and say "fix it."
Nowhere in your post did I read any mention of drinking beer. Is that not also part of the repair process?
post #6 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2009, 9:48 am

In addition to the shop manual and basic metric tools, I suggest a 24" breaker bar, 24" jack stands, and an engine hoist to lift the rear of the bike.

Attached are photos of the modified 30mm socket you have heard about. I had to cut of about 1/2" of the big 12mm allen wrench also.

Take pictures as you go, pay attention to details, and be patient. Stop when you are tired. Beer helps.

Fear not the LT.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, 'cause I don't don't know if $2,000 will get it done.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tranny removal.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	23099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Socket plus Allen 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	23100   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2008-8-26-000.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	844.1 KB
ID:	23101  
post #7 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
Nowhere in your post did I read any mention of drinking beer. Is that not also part of the repair process?
I don't drink ... then again I have never yet had to tear that deeply into my LT either!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2009, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. This is beyond my ability so bite the bullet and take it to the dealer for me. Question? Are the dealers drilling the weep hole on bikes out of warranty? Also there was some mention a while back about a ceramic clutch, is one available?

Hackercraft
03 LTE

BMWOA # 134205

post #9 of 11 Old May 24th, 2009, 5:37 am
vvk

Post Re: Slipping Clutch

Quote:
Thanks for the help. This is beyond my ability so bite the bullet and take it to the dealer for me. Question? Are the dealers drilling the weep hole on bikes out of warranty? Also there was some mention a while back about a ceramic clutch, is one available?
You ask your dealer for drilling the hole when replacing the plates. Here's the procedure, gleaned from this site...
Have never seen a ceramic on the LT...Yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weephole.pdf (1.25 MB, 66 views)
File Type: txt k1200lt Re Slipping clutch.txt (2.4 KB, 62 views)

Miles of smiles of miles of smiles of...
The hardest thing to do on a K1200LT is riding it home.

Vic
Booze Brother #1
Gandalf Grau
The Netherlands
post #10 of 11 Old May 24th, 2009, 5:55 am

Quote:
If you are taking it to BMW of Southeast Mich. in Canton, the last time I talked them they said they were drilling the weep hole on any bike that they had to go that deep on (ie. slave cyc., clutch) Ask them I'm pretty sure they will do it for you, good bunch of guys in the backroom.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #11 of 11 Old May 24th, 2009, 8:36 am
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Suggestions?
Am feeling your pain !! But I got 60,000 miles on the first clutch.

Just paid my dealer to do this job TWICE. First time they installed a used clutch kit I got from one of the vendors on this site (yes, it met specs and was dry) only to find that it slipped. Apart it all came again.

Lesson # 1 - don't ever use a used part that far into your bike.
Lesson # 2 - while it's apart make sure you replace anything else that could need replacing in the subsequent 24 - 36 months.

If you have the ability and time to do it yourself, by all means go at it -- but it takes a professional BMW dealer mechanic about 12 full hours on the tools from start to finish, so it may take you slightly longer.

Fix it and ride it. No point lamenting money spent maintaining the thing. It is what it is. If I keep repeating this enough times the financial sting will fade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in