Gas leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Gas leak

Grr...Today I noticed gas was leaking from the right side of the bike. It only leaks when the engine is on. This happened after sitting in traffic on a very hot day. I haven't undressed her yet, unfortunately I'm traveling for memorial day holiday and I can't work on her till next weekend.

Any one experience this before? Thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks
02 LT ~40k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:39 pm

Re: Gas leak

Fuel line from the gas tank. One of the male plastic fittings probably broke or cracked and is about to break. Fuel isn't leaking until its pressurized. Don't ride it anymore until you replace it with a metal one. BTW, BMW doesn't sell the plastic male ends any more.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 9 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Where can I get this part? Or is it something I can "fix" with some silicone seal?

post #4 of 9 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:49 pm

You can get yourself some 3rd party quick connects or get metal replacment fittings at the BMW dealer. If only one of them is leaking get two anyway.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 9 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You may want to get 2 short pieces of tubing and 4 small hose clamps.

There are 2 fuel lines side by side. You can mark them in some way (paint), so that they

don't get crossed on reassembly.

Disconnects are very nice to have, but I don't see it as necessary.
post #6 of 9 Old May 21st, 2009, 7:43 pm

I had my right boot sprayed with gas while riding. Not only did it stink but I wasn't looking forward to becoming an image of a Buddhist monk of the 70's. Found it to be the quick disconnects for the fuel line. There are 2. Contrary to what my dealer told me when I went to buy a QD, this is NOT uncommon and it is quite dangerous. As my dealer did not have the $100 replacements in stock, not an uncommon occurrence with my dealer, I decided to go to a plumbing supply store and purchased a 5/16 brass hose to hose connector for $1.68. Guess I'll need to crimp the gas line every time I remove the gas tank. Oh, I just crimped the gas line to R & R the connection. Incidentally, removing the original plastic QD is a bear. Be patient and careful. The plastic connections tend to "weld" to the rubber gas line over time.
post #7 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2009, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

By doing a seach of QD or quick dissconnect, you will find lots of suggestions on where to order based on quality or price. I picked up mine at www.smallparts.com. Remember to install them opposite (male/female) of each other for future connecting without error. A great tip that I picked up on here.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2009, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
Where can I get this part? Or is it something I can "fix" with some silicone seal?
From most auto parts stores a 5/16 barbed coupler and fuel injection type hose clamps. Remove the leaking QD and replace with the coupler. Pinch off the hose to the left side of the QD. Getting the QD out of the hose is a real pain.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #9 of 9 Old May 30th, 2009, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Hi folks - Thanks all for your reply. I ended up getting barbed coupler from home depot for a few bucks and replaced the QD. I'm a bit disappointed with BMW for the cheap ones they put on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in