LT vs GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 21st, 2009, 8:28 am Thread Starter

LT vs GT

Well, I might be trading the 3rd LT (99, 04, 08) for a 09 GT. I had a K12S, loved the speed, not to crazy about the handling and ride. LOVE the LT, but miss the speed. I have a r12 GS that lives in its own world and I love being in it.

I can also get a new 08GT for 15k but think I will regret that.

Comments?

Thanks,

Milton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 21st, 2009, 9:16 am
Super Moderator

Re: LT vs GT

Go take one for a test ride and see if you like it. I had 3 LTs and have not looked back one second since move to GTs (1200 and 1300). But everyone is different, and the test ride will tell you much more than the opinions you get here.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 21st, 2009, 12:25 pm

I would say if you do 1 up then go for it. If it is you and the SO then you better take SO for a test drive first.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 8 Old May 21st, 2009, 2:02 pm

Make sure you bring your checkbook. Ouch, the GT is pretty pricey just to have extra power and not much else. Local dealer has the showroom floor sticker at 23,400.00 for a loaded one.

Bought my 2005 LT used in perfect condition at 12,000.00. Now that I can justify.
post #5 of 8 Old May 21st, 2009, 2:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

What they said. The LT is still the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, and ridden properly, it can embarrass much "sportier" bikes. And for two-up travel, it can't be beat.

But the GT just does everything else so much better. 200 lbs lighter plus an additional 44 HP makes a huge difference here. But if you've had a K12S, then you already know that.

As for the K12 or K13 question, it really depends on your budget. If you're counting every dollar, then a near-new '08 GT can be had for a good price. But if $$ isn't your top priority, then go for the K13. All the minor changes really do add up to a much superior ride.

So I echo the others here, take a K13 out for a nice, long test ride, then you'll know for sure.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 Old May 21st, 2009, 5:51 pm

Gateway BMW in St. Louis gave me a beautiful used 08 GT while my bike was in the shop two weeks ago. Leaving in the morning going out of town was a great ride! Very quick and nimble. Coming back through town during rush hour was equally miserable. The buzzing through the grips put my hands to sleep. I couldn't believe the difference when I got back on my LT. The GT is quick but you feel every MPH. I was running faster on the LT and didn't notice it until I looked at the speedo.

Steve

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #7 of 8 Old May 22nd, 2009, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all,
Well, I went for a 80 mile test ride on the 09 GT. Great power, great brakes handles great. Does "Buzz" through the handle bars pegs and the tank where it meets your private parts at 5000 RPM and to tell you the truth, other than the electric windscreen, it wasn't much better than my 2005 K12S. I don't know how many times I blew the horn thinking I was using the LH turn signal. Thing I did notice is it skated more than the LT when I was in the wake of a truck.
I did like the TPM and other little factory farkles, but in the end, when I got back on the LT, it was like slipping into a familiar pair of shoes.
I think I will stay with the LT (for now).

Milton
K12LT (with Chrome rims)
R12GS
R100GSPD
post #8 of 8 Old May 22nd, 2009, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeler34
Well, I might be trading the 3rd LT (99, 04, 08) for a 09 GT. I had a K12S, loved the speed, not to crazy about the handling and ride. LOVE the LT, but miss the speed. I have a r12 GS that lives in its own world and I love being in it.

I can also get a new 08GT for 15k but think I will regret that.

Comments?

Thanks,

Milton
Wait for the new. more powerful LT ... assuming there will be one!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in