Need advice on how to handle this..I think I know! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Need advice on how to handle this..I think I know!

Noticed while cleaning my bike this morning that my rear tire (Metzler 880) was mounted by a dealer (who will remain nameless for now) going the wrong direction. I have about 4000 miles on it. After calling the dealer and Metzler, here is my problem The dealer says they will turn it around and all will be fine. Metzler said with that many miles the tire MAY be unsafe and a new one is required. I will offer to pay the dealer 1/3 of the cost for a new tire, their cost) figuring that is how much I used, but that's it. Dealer is hinting Metzler just wants to sell tires.

Anybody have anything like this happen to them?

Thanks,

Gene Sweeney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Re: Need advice on how to handle this..I think I know!

I don't know anything about tires, but my guess is that Metz is simply having to cover any potential liability. They can't bless the tire so they error on the side of caution.

Tire is probably OK.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 4:47 pm

I agree, Chances are it will be fine. BUT.

Metzler is going to have to CYA....

John

I'd say since it took you 4K to notice it..... 1/2 price of a new tire with free mount/bal would be fair to me.

They really only go about 8K before they start getting "noisy".

I've had a rear fail at speed and it's no fun...Some have died from the experience.

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 4:59 pm

99% sure tire is fine, issue is IMO this .....

As tire wears the edges of the tread/water troughs start to feather and scallop to some degree. Turning the tire around will dramatically change the tread in contact with the pavement and could be very unsafe until enough wear in has happened and the contact patch is more normal

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #5 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

I was going to go 1/3 of a cost of the new tire as I got 12,000 miles out of the old one. It's not like I'm trying to get this for free, I'm just scratching my head why a dealer would even want to gamble on something like this issue. If it blows after they turn it around, with Metzler calling them and warning them not to do it, they would totally on the hook for medical and whatever else. It just seems like approx. $200 would be good insurance.

Gene Sweeney

post #6 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
99% sure tire is fine, issue is IMO this .....

As tire wears the edges of the tread/water troughs start to feather and scallop to some degree. Turning the tire around will dramatically change the tread in contact with the pavement and could be very unsafe until enough wear in has happened and the contact patch is more normal
I agree with this post wholeheartedly. Depending on your riding style, your reverse mounted tire could have a wear pattern that would significantly change handling and traction. I don't think that the Metz corp is just trying to sell tires. I think they know something about tires and have an idea of the risk that might be associated with this situation.

Not caring too much for the relationship with dealerships I'll be on the harsh side of the opinions. I understand if you want to maintain a good relationship with the dealer you compromise. But the following position is not unreasonable: You paid the professionals to install a tire, you expect them to do it right. That you didn't discover it until recently changes nothing. They did it wrong. The tire manfacturer says do not remount the tire, they say replace it. I'd tell the dealer to put on a new tire or I'm done with you. But that's me. I mount my own tires. Ask me how many times I have mounted a tire only to find I did it backwards and needed to redo it. After the tire is mounted, you are supposed to check. They didn't and I'd hold 'em accountable. Problem is, if you need a dealer, and they are the only one around, well....you gotta keep the peace.
post #7 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
You paid the professionals to install a tire, you expect them to do it right. That you didn't discover it until recently changes nothing. They did it wrong. The tire manfacturer says do not remount the tire, they say replace it. I'd tell the dealer to put on a new tire or I'm done with you.
That's a pretty tough stand to take but one I can't find any fault with,
Charlie is right, as professionals they should do whatever you want them to.

Now from my personal experience,
you can turn that tire around and wear it down without any issues,
I've done it and lived to tell the embarrassing story.

I was standing in the chow line at the Maggie Valley BMW rally (20 years ago)
When someone said is that your R90/6......
....why did you mount your rear tire backwards?

I didn't believe him but had to look (after dinner)
damn if he wasn't right.

Found his campsite and asked how he spotted something like that,
told me.... he just replaced his rear tire before the rally,
had to take it of and turn it around also,
I bought him a beer, we had a good laugh.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 6:35 pm

I think the dealer should sell you a new tire at his cost - and mount and balance it (the right way) this time for free - as well as refund you the initial charges for the mount and balance they screwed up the first time.

No way I would agree to have it just turned around - I think this might compromise your safety and I'm surprised that they would take this stance.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I agree, Chances are it will be fine. BUT.

Metzler is going to have to CYA....

John

I'd say since it took you 4K to notice it..... 1/2 price of a new tire with free mount/bal would be fair to me.

They really only go about 8K before they start getting "noisy".

I've had a rear fail at speed and it's no fun...Some have died from the experience.

Good Luck

John
keep 48 psi and your go 15k on a rear
post #10 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Prorate the tire, pay the retail cost difference.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #11 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:42 pm

12 - 15K on a Metzler rear?

Best I ever got was 9 and it was sort of thin then.

B D R
post #12 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Cycle Gear in Mesa AZ made the same mistake on my Metzeler rear tire for LT. But since I dismounted the tire in front of the store and I hand carried it I found the mistake right away. They corrected it right away too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsweeney
Noticed while cleaning my bike this morning that my rear tire (Metzler 880) was mounted by a dealer (who will remain nameless for now) going the wrong direction. I have about 4000 miles on it. After calling the dealer and Metzler, here is my problem The dealer says they will turn it around and all will be fine. Metzler said with that many miles the tire MAY be unsafe and a new one is required. I will offer to pay the dealer 1/3 of the cost for a new tire, their cost) figuring that is how much I used, but that's it. Dealer is hinting Metzler just wants to sell tires.

Anybody have anything like this happen to them?

Thanks,

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #13 of 31 Old May 20th, 2009, 10:56 pm

As said before, you paid a professional to install a tire. They should replace the tire and install correctly at N/C.

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)
post #14 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 6:20 am Thread Starter

Taking the bike to the dealer Friday morning, I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I'm going to ask for a new tire, we'll just see how the negotiating goes on the amount of money it's going to cost. I know the labor will be free, (they already stated that would be the case) so it's just the money for the tire.

Thanks,

Gene Sweeney

post #15 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 7:17 am

present the case to BMW, I'm sure they'll be interested to know how one of their dealers handled the first and followup issue with the tire as well as what the tire mfg has to say.

BMW will probably make a better decision

'00 K1200 LTC
post #16 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 7:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Suggest to the dealer that if they are so comfortable with the tire that they keep it and mount it on a used bike that needs new rubber.

I used to work in the tire industry and I think structurally you would have nothing to worry about. However if I am incorrect it's you that could be vaulted from the ride at 70 MPH if there's a catastrophic failure. I think Curtis is correct when he says that the issue has more to do with wear patterns and traction so personally I wouldn't reverse the rotation on a tire after that mileage.

post #17 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 7:43 am

No room for (more) error here. Dealer should replace replace the tire at no charge to you. They should charge it to the svc dept as goodwill. If they don't, Pay someone else to do it correctly and send them the bill. Furthermore, they should do this with some humility and a great deal of concern for your personal safety. That should be their main concern and is why they charge $160/hour for their factory certified technicians. If they don't have the appropriate level of concern for your personal safety...FIND ANOTHER DEALER!

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #18 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 8:13 am
Kit

Totally agree. Put yourself in the shoes of a responsible dealer who considers his reputation on the line. Tire techs are human and prone to occasional error, but if you (potentially) endangered the life of one of your riders, would you charge him to replace the tire you screwed up?
post #19 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 9:59 am

What the dealer should do and is actually going to do most of the time are two different things.

If it was my business, There wouldn't be a question. I'd pat you on the back and say "Holy crap, really ? And get you a new tire mounted correctly...Right then. On the spot.

Guess that's why I'm not in the motorcycle repair business.

I can't imagine the driving technique it would take to get 15K on a tire. On the LT.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #20 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 2:18 pm

If I were the dealer, I'd consider the legal ramifications for mounting the tire improperly. First, they are in the business--professionals--to service and equip the bikes. Customers rely on their expertise. Here, the tire was negligently installed not in accordance with Metzlers instructions, they have notice of the mistake and have a window of opportunity to make things right. If they choose to ingore the mistake, then they may incur liability for the failure to correct the error and all consequences that flow from the error. But, you now are on notice and if you are satisfied the situation is dangerous, you should take steps to correct the problem--negotiate with the dealer, correct it yourself and seek reimbursement, etc. You can't ignore the information, continue to drive on the tire and then incur loss when you could have taken steps to protect yourself and your passenger.

The price of a replacement tire is far cheaper than the consequences of a tire failure.

Worst case situation what would you be out--200.00-300.00 with no off-set by the dealer. Still cheaper. I am sure you'd prevail in a small claim should the dealer dig his heels in if it got that far.
post #21 of 31 Old May 21st, 2009, 7:57 pm

Clearly, the dealer should own up to their error and replace the tire at NO CHARGE. As Charlie VT stated, they are "professionals" and charge rates accordingly. This constitutes proper checks and balances to ensure "professional" service. I was in the automotive business for over 10 years and if one of my technicians made such a careless error I would certainly have made good with the customer. As dad once said "if it doesn't start that's one thing, if it doesn't stop, or goes boom on the ride, that's a whole different thing". Brakes, tires and wheels - no room for almost right.
post #22 of 31 Old May 22nd, 2009, 3:19 am

Smile Re: Need advice on how to handle this..I think I know!

Gene Call the state attorney generals office ,division of consumers affairs, and get a complaint form. File the form listing the required info. There should be a toll free # in your ph. book under State offices. In Oregon you can get info. on anyone that has a registered name by asking for any active complaints. They go back 5 years. Quite enlightening in mho
post #23 of 31 Old May 22nd, 2009, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Well, I was already for a fight when I took the bike into Bob's (yes that Bob's who has been great to me over the years) about the tire and what it was going to cost etc. I'm not sure if they had a "come to Jesus" talk with the Metzler rep (as the rep said they did), or if over night they just thought better of their stance, but it was a piece of cake. I had a noon appointment, the service folks were waiting, looked at the bike agreed to the problem and said ok let's agree the tire is about 1/2 gone (which it was), you pay 50% of our cost for a new tire, everything else is free and off you go.

1/2 hour later with a few "oops our bad" and off I rode. I'm glad it didn't dissolve into a war of words because I have had a great relationship with them over the last 7 years and want to keep it that way. Thanks for all of your advice!

Gene Sweeney

post #24 of 31 Old May 22nd, 2009, 5:29 pm

and this is what a good dealer does.

Glad to hear it went ok..

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #25 of 31 Old May 23rd, 2009, 5:30 am

I'm really glad that Bob's treated you fairly. For you and for my own peace of mind. I have dealt with Bob's BMW and they have always met my expectations, I would have been disappointed if they had done less.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #26 of 31 Old May 23rd, 2009, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, I was already for a fight when I took the bike into Bob's (yes that Bob's who has been great to me over the years) about the tire and what it was going to cost etc. I'm not sure if they had a "come to Jesus" talk with the Metzler rep (as the rep said they did), or if over night they just thought better of their stance, but it was a piece of cake. I had a noon appointment, the service folks were waiting, looked at the bike agreed to the problem and said ok let's agree the tire is about 1/2 gone (which it was), you pay 50% of our cost for a new tire, everything else is free and off you go.

1/2 hour later with a few "oops our bad" and off I rode. I'm glad it didn't dissolve into a war of words because I have had a great relationship with them over the last 7 years and want to keep it that way. Thanks for all of your advice!
Well, that is better than nothing and since you are satisfied that is what matters.

Personally, I think they should have given you a new tire at not cost to you at all. The cost of the used tread is their penalty for screwing up the mounting in the first place. I believe that the main reason for the rotation restriction is the way the tread is designed to displace water. There is a very real chance that the wrong rotation direction could have caused you to wreck had you ridden in heavy rain. That would have cost you a lot more than half the cost of a tire and cost Bob's a lot more when they lost the lawsuit (or even defended against it).

So, it is good that you are happy, but I have to say that I don't think Bob's did you any great favor here and actually made a serious screw-up and paid no cost for that screw-up.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 31 Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:16 am

Garage

Quote:
...let's agree the tire is about 1/2 gone (which it was), you pay 50% of our cost for a new tire, everything else is free and off you go.
Since you had ridden that distance trouble-free, this seems like a safe, fair and just solution to me.
post #28 of 31 Old May 23rd, 2009, 6:07 pm

Just my $ .02 worth, Some trikers are running rear tires mounted back wards on the front by choice.
I would probably change the tire , one way or the other account riding 2 up and piece of mind. That said, I am looking for a rear tire, (will run backward) that will fit the front account the 06 is going 3.

Dennis
post #29 of 31 Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

To set one thing straight, the tire rep said the rain grooves will work the same, no matter which way the tire was mounted and in the rain I felt no difference from other tires. The real concern, again according to the rep was the tire casing, not the rain grooves.

Gene Sweeney

post #30 of 31 Old May 24th, 2009, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
To set one thing straight, the tire rep said the rain grooves will work the same, no matter which way the tire was mounted and in the rain I felt no difference from other tires. The real concern, again according to the rep was the tire casing, not the rain grooves.
I think the rep is full of it. If you look at the ME880 groove shape, you can see the the long arced grooves will channel water forward and towards the outside which is the natural direction the water wants to go when a tire rolls through it. In the reverse direction the opposite occurs. The curved grooves will now tend to push the water forward, but inward towards the tire centerline rather than outwards. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this is less than ideal from a hydroplaning perspective.

Certainly, the tire casing concern is legitimate also depending on the construction style. I don't know what the internal design of an ME880 is so I can't comment here.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #31 of 31 Old May 27th, 2009, 4:07 pm

I have read all the "been there, done that - don't worry it will be fine" posts and have to disagree. August 2003 a set of new ME880s were mounted prior to the IBR by the local dealer - now closed. The rear was reverse mounted and literally exploded at interstate speeds on I-80 near North Platte, Nebraska (on the way to Missoula, MT). Towing and time for replacing tire almost caused a "DNS" in the rally. Since then, direction arrows are the first thing checked before the tires are put back on my LT. YMMV - but why chance it? Replace the tire and argue with the dealer later.

Jim Bain, Rallymaster
Cape Fear 1000 Rally
IBA # 350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in