Another overheating question. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Another overheating question.

I know the routine, it's not overheating unless the light comes on. That may be the pattern, but I just can't get comfortable with it. Has anyone put in a switch to turn on the fans BEFORE the needle gets way up there?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Another overheating question.

Maybe this will help put your mind at ease:

Thermostat opening Temp 185 F
Fan cut-in Temp 221 F
Warning light cut-in Temp 239 F
From the BMW Manual.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

OK, what's the boiling point of properly mixed coolant?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW

post #4 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 10:09 pm

I found this...

How Cooling Systems Work

Althought the boiling point of a 50/50 mix appears to be very close to the fan actuation temp, we must remember the system is under pressure, allowing for a significantly higher boiling point.
post #5 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Wink Re: Another overheating question.

Just make sure both fans are working. There is a seperate fuse for each fan. It makes a big difference.
post #6 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 1:08 am

Thumbs up Re: Another overheating question.

Not sure if anyone has ever tried this stuff in an LT but I used WaterWetter made by Redline it in my Kawasaki Concours and it dropped the engine temp by 20 degrees, made a big difference in the San Antonio Texas summer heat. The 4-stroke MXers love this stuff.

This is from their web site

WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations.
post #7 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 8:04 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
OK, what's the boiling point of properly mixed coolant?
The boiling temperature is higher than the setting for the fans AS LONG AS THE COOLING SYSTEM IS PRESSURE-TIGHT. The coolant boils at a lower temperature without pressure, which is why you never open the radiator cap when the engine is 'hot' or the coolant may violently boil over and scald you.

Don't try this yourself. Believe me, I know...
post #8 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 8:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

I suspect that the fan switches are set so high because of the smaller current produced under conditions which would cause them to activate. In other words, idling in stop and go traffic probably doesn't produce adequate amperage to keep the battery charged if the fans are running all the time. The LT does have a very large output for a motorcycle alternator but everything has it's limitations. If you want to try this perhaps diverting the low beam current to the fans and isolating them with diodes would work. Probably all you would need is a dual pole dual terminal switch and a couple of isolator diodes for the fans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
If you want to try this perhaps diverting the low beam current to the fans and isolating them with diodes would work.
I'd stay away from the low beam for this project. It isn't fused and the possibilities of frying your whole wiring loom is there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 9:55 am

Living in South Tejas and not too far off the coast with a very high humidity level, I have my fans fun just about every time I am in town. I have yet to get to a over heating problem but like you, it is scary to see the needle go almost all the way up to the red zone before something happens. But every time the needle goes up, the fans kick on and the needle drops. It must work.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 10:17 am

First thing you need to do is check the fan connector on the bike. Is the positive or the negative being switched by the computer ?

I don't know but I'm going to guess the computer provides the ground to switch on the fans.

Either way . Use a diode to prevent the positive or negative you supply to the fans from gettting back to the computer.

This should be easy enough.

Good Luck.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
Not sure if anyone has ever tried this stuff in an LT but I used WaterWetter made by Redline it in my Kawasaki Concours and it dropped the engine temp by 20 degrees, made a big difference in the San Antonio Texas summer heat. The 4-stroke MXers love this stuff.

This is from their web site

WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations.
I had some and after my first couple days in stop/go traffic I put it in.
I don't have any scientific measurements to go by, but I believe that it doesn't get as high as it used to before WW, watching the temp gauge.

Riding the open road, the needle hovers just below the 50% mark riding in ~90°/32° (F/C).

'00 K1200 LTC
post #13 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 11:01 am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
Steve

I have used the WaterWetter made by Redline for years, in both my 99' and 05' LT and it does make a difference in running cooler.

Randy Ferras
K1200LT 05'

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in