BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Question about the swing arm 30MM bolt (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/46711-question-about-swing-arm-30mm-bolt.html)

mowoc May 19th, 2009 2:52 pm

Question about the swing arm 30MM bolt

I have begun the weep hole process.

I was looking at breaking that 30 MM bolt on the right side (with Nm 200 of pressure!). It sure looks like a PITA to break loose.

I have a whole bunch of nifty tools that I got with my air compressor one of which is a 1/2 inch impact wrench. Can I use that to break that bolt? Will it have enough torque?

That bolt doesn't look all that deep, and I would hate to strip it......

dshealey May 19th, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Question about the swing arm 30MM bolt

They can sometimes be a real bear to break loose. Impact wrenches can be used to take them off, but never to put them back on.

We had one that we barely got off with a 4 foot piece of pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar. When it finally came loose it sounded like something broke!

One person had to borrow a 3/4" impact wrench to get his loose.

DanMartin May 19th, 2009 4:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshealey
They can sometimes be a real bear to break loose. Impact wrenches can be used to take them off, but never to put them back on.

We had one that we barely got off with a 4 foot piece of pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar. When it finally came loose it sounded like something broke!

I used a 3/4" impact with 140 lbs of air. No joy. Finally had to drill holes across the nut and break it loose.
Also tried a 3/4" socket wrench w/4' cheater and my considerable 300+ wt.

dan martin

kevincook May 19th, 2009 7:20 pm

I have used a 4' cheater bar on the ones that I have done and they all popped loose with a loud bang.

Good Luck,
Kevin

DasBoat2003 May 19th, 2009 8:01 pm

I used a 24" breaker bar and my body weight.

mowoc May 20th, 2009 12:36 am

Round One:

Bolt - 1
Tom - 0

Man that thing is on tight. I did not really go to town today, but I will tomorrow.

I noticed the bike moves a lot when torquing on that thing. I am thinking of putting my jack under there, I can just see the thing poping off the center stand and crashing. :eek:

mjordans2000 May 20th, 2009 2:44 am

We complain about BMW engineering short comings but when they designed the swing arm bolt attachment bolt they got it right. That thing will not loosen on it's own if properly torqued. I helped with one that came apart fairly easily the first time. Unfortunately we overlooked something and had to remove the bolt after we put it back together. It was properly torqued, no Loctite, no cross threading, and had been back together less than 20 minutes. That thing was there to stay. Impact wrench had no effect. We finally got it with the four foot pipe trick. If the last guy over torqued it you can see how fast you will be screwed.

rdwalker May 20th, 2009 11:49 am

+1 on 4-ft pipe. Worked for me. Strap the bike down.

mowoc May 20th, 2009 2:31 pm

allright, i did get the bolt off.

Man, that was on there tight! Used the same 4 foot cheater bar.

Now I having another problem:

the drive shaft wont seperate from the transmission. I poped it off with a screw driver like it says, but I cannot move it further than about 3/4 of the way down the spline shaft.. The whole swing arm assembly will only move so far left before it sticks so I cannot get leverage on it at all.

Dang it I am close! How do I get that drive shaft full disengaged?

mowoc May 20th, 2009 2:45 pm

never mind, got the leverage from underneath. :D

I finally got everything apart. No mess in the slave cylinder! :dance:

Stay tuned for more questions as I put her back together though.

dglenn1 May 20th, 2009 4:29 pm

Quote:

Just want to check. Will the cutaway socket Dave made be OK to try to break the bolt loose or should I get another socket to take it apart with and save the cutaway for assembly?

mowoc May 20th, 2009 4:35 pm

Given the strength of the torque on that bolt I used a seperate impact socket on a 1/2 inch drive cheater bar with a four foot 3/4 inch pipe over the cheater bar.

If you have looked at the bolt it is not very deep - a good grip is essential for breaking the torque hold. I have the seperate socket (borrowed from someone on the board), but I would hate to torque it like that.

DanMartin May 20th, 2009 4:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dglenn1
Just want to check. Will the cutaway socket Dave made be OK to try to break the bolt loose or should I get another socket to take it apart with and save the cutaway for assembly?

Use another one. Don't take a chance on ruining it.

dan

dglenn1 May 20th, 2009 8:12 pm

Good advice. Thanks!

dshealey May 20th, 2009 8:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dglenn1

I would not advise using the cutaway socket for one that is really tight. It will withstand the specified re-install torque with no problem, but they very often require much more than that to break loose, could break the weakened socket.

dglenn1 May 20th, 2009 9:50 pm

Quote:

I would not advise using the cutaway socket for one that is really tight. It will withstand the specified re-install torque with no problem, but they very often require much more than that to break loose, could break the weakened socket.

That's what I was concerned about reading all the stories of how tight that bolt is. I'll get another socket.
Thanks,

mowoc May 20th, 2009 10:30 pm

So, first question after the successful weep hole procedure:

I am reasembling the drive shaft. I put the moly 60 stuff on the splines, and I am ready to reinstall it.I notice that it goes on real easy, almost too easy. I notice it slides a bit back and forth.

Is it supposed to do that? I thought there were circlips in there holding it on? Did I break them? Or do something worse to to drive shaft?

DanMartin May 20th, 2009 11:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowoc
So, first question after the successful weep hole procedure:

I am reasembling the drive shaft. I put the moly 60 stuff on the splines, and I am ready to reinstall it.I notice that it goes on real easy, almost too easy. I notice it slides a bit back and forth.

Is it supposed to do that? I thought there were circlips in there holding it on? Did I break them? Or do something worse to to drive shaft?

If you are talking about the transmission output shaft,you have to pound on the driveshaft with a wooden block to pop it on.

dan

mowoc May 20th, 2009 11:56 pm

Pound Hard? How hard? I had a wooden block and was poping it, but I was afraid to really hit hard. I don't want to break anything. :o

Will it pop on and make a noise when I finally get it to go?

DanMartin May 21st, 2009 12:09 am

I used a 2lb hammer on a wooden block. Swinging hammer 6 inches,not as hard as nail pounding though. You should hear the click.

sheldan2 May 21st, 2009 12:18 am

That socket has seen quite a few really tight bolts before, I doubt you will break it. It has been used to take them off and put them back on with no problem..If it does break, it is only a socket and can be replaced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowoc
Given the strength of the torque on that bolt I used a seperate impact socket on a 1/2 inch drive cheater bar with a four foot 3/4 inch pipe over the cheater bar.

If you have looked at the bolt it is not very deep - a good grip is essential for breaking the torque hold. I have the seperate socket (borrowed from someone on the board), but I would hate to torque it like that.

mjordans2000 May 21st, 2009 1:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldan2
That socket has seen quite a few really tight bolts before, I doubt you will break it. It has been used to take them off and put them back on with no problem..If it does break, it is only a socket and can be replaced.

You're probably right but having broken a socket or two by misusing them I'd be more concerned by the potential damage and/or injury if it breaks than the cost of the socket.

sheldan2 May 21st, 2009 2:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjordans2000
You're probably right but having broken a socket or two by misusing them I'd be more concerned by the potential damage and/or injury if it breaks than the cost of the socket.

I would certainly hope that no one would get hurt working on their bike, but it does happen, usually when people rush into doing something without taking an extra minute to think things through before actually doing it, or making sure the bike is correctly tied down and braced for the job in hand. We have all read about a bike falling over while being worked on because it was not properly tied down.

As you said in your quote" having broken a socket or two by misusing them", as with anything in life if it is misused eventually it will break. I am fully confident that the socket being used, (and if you actually saw the socket in question) if used properly will not break any time soon.

mowoc May 21st, 2009 2:56 pm

My kingdom for a 12MM hex wrench!

I have put everything pretty much back together, but now I cannot find the stupid 12 MM wrench. I have a 12 MM allen socket, but that realy does not work in this application. I went to Sears, WalMart, and Autozone. No luck at any of them.

Any ideas?

simonrobi May 21st, 2009 3:57 pm

Last time I needed to complete my tool set,I went to Napa parts.They carry pretty much everything I was looking for.If there is one in your area,give them a call.
Good luck,Robert.

simonrobi May 21st, 2009 4:04 pm

Now seeing that your in Erie,I think the nearest Napa store is in Louisville,just off of South Boulder road.Here is their web address: www.louisvillenapa.napasite.com

mowoc May 21st, 2009 5:31 pm

I did get it at NAPA. I had to go to the warehouse at 70th and York but they had it. 6.73 total price.

dshealey May 21st, 2009 9:49 pm

Quote:

I assumed he was talking about the modified socket, with the window machined in the side for the Allen wrench. If so, I would not use it to loosen one of these really tight nuts. Those cannot be easily replaced! You cannot just go buy one.

cccpastorjack May 22nd, 2009 7:46 am

Quote:

I assumed he was talking about the modified socket, with the window machined in the side for the Allen wrench. If so, I would not use it to loosen one of these really tight nuts. Those cannot be easily replaced! You cannot just go buy one.

Actually, I think Mike (Sheldan2) loaned him HIS 30mm modified socket and was just trying to let him know that it was OK if the socket happened to break. And, though it may not be the best way, (using an unmodified one is best if you have it), we have used Mike's cutout socket on some really tough ones and it's still going strong. Kinda makes me mad, cause it seems stronger and fits better than the $55 one I got from Snap On ;)

mowoc May 22nd, 2009 11:13 am

Well, I am in the home stretch.

I have everything back together, but I need to tighten the bolts on the final drive. The inside one is a royal PITA. Keeping the bearing stud from tightening while tighening the lock nut is impossible! Not really, but I sure could use some tips from y'all on how to do it. The first time I tried I thought I had it, but being anal I undid it to see and sure enough the stupid stud had tighented considerably. I have that simple wrench from Napa, so I was thinking of adding a little pipe to the end to allow for more torque to hold it when I tighten the lock nut, would that work?

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

cccpastorjack May 22nd, 2009 3:55 pm

Frankly, anything that will enable you to simply hold the allen wrench perfectly still while tightening the lock nut is OK. I usually just get someone to hold the allen wrench while I tighten the nut with a torque wrench. heck, one of the kids (or neighbors kids) can do it! :rolleyes:

Voyager May 22nd, 2009 6:33 pm

Quote:

Did you modify your own socket? Is there a description somewhere?

sheldan2 May 23rd, 2009 7:09 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voyager
Did you modify your own socket? Is there a description somewhere?

Maybe Tom (MOWOC) could take a picture of the socket and send it to you. I do believe there is a description of the socket on here.

dougholck May 26th, 2009 1:58 pm

Here is socket mfg info from Hall of Wisdom over at ADVrider.com.
http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...er%20tool.html