Setting the Bar a Little Higher.......... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 19th, 2009, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Setting the Bar a Little Higher..........

I've always approached motorcycle riding with the position that sooner or later I'll run across an idiot and I need to be prepared for that. However yesterday I was treated to a whole new level of stupidity. As I was traveling westbound on a two lane road which had a center turn lane I activated my right turn signal and shortly after began braking for a right turn into the parking lot on my right hand side. It's important to note that there is no curb between the parking lot and roadway at that location. The driver behind me felt that this was some type of signal from me to pass me on my right hand side. I first saw him in my right mirror and instinctively turned my head slightly to the right to see him pulling along side at about a 45 degree angle to my cycle. Fortunately he seemed to realize that what he was doing might be unusual and decided to pass on my left side instead, utilizing the left turn lane for that purpose. Wow. That was a close one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 19th, 2009, 11:44 am

Re: Setting the Bar a Little Higher..........

every cager is a moron and out to kill you. once you understand and accept this, you'll be better off (mentally)

I've got plenty of similar stories, last Friday was a busy day here, a couple different attempts on my life were made within a 1/2 mile stretch (tunnel vision lane changes)

'00 K1200 LTC
post #3 of 7 Old May 19th, 2009, 12:51 pm

As I entered my subdivision the other day, I was attempting to turn left less than 100 ft on the first street. I ck'd my mirror to see a guy in a large Mercedes passing me on the left. He had followed me in on my rear tire and felt the need to pass me on a 2 lane residential street before I reached the first cross street less than 100 ft into the subdivision. I dove to the right with my left blinker still on. As he passed by he just looked at me w/ a (what are you looking at?) look. I couldn't believe it. He nearly wiped me out. He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on legally. Unfortunately he is some sort of a colleague in the Medical profession and should know better.
His attitude seemed to be one of (You guy's on motorcycles need to get out of my way!)
Ridiculous!

post #4 of 7 Old May 19th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Glad to hear these were close calls not accident reports. Remember they may not have a legal leg to stand on, but we wouldn't have a leg, period. Invisibility is a huge responsibility, but we are up to the challenge!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old May 19th, 2009, 3:38 pm

I spent a month in Colorado Springs one afternoon last July...........scary........
post #6 of 7 Old May 19th, 2009, 6:34 pm

today was a flash back from Friday except the cars were more plentiful and one even got pretty dang close, I coulda slapped him! he did get a split second ear full of expletives.

'00 K1200 LTC
post #7 of 7 Old May 19th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Ever kicked in the door of a caged moron while traveling at 45 mph?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in