Just to make sure - - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Just to make sure -

I have had a knocking? grinding? shaking? sensation on acceleration for the last week or so and it is getting worse. I thought it was the rear drive, but I did the rack test and checked the rear drive fluid for flakes. Drive fluid and magnet completely clean. I put the bike on the center stand and ran the bike in second gear and could hear a knock at the drive shaft housing just in front of the rear drive unit. I could actually feel the knock at that point but nothing at the rear drive or further up the shaft housing.

Is there a way to check the drive shaft without complete removal of the rear drive to know for sure what the problem is? I downloaded the instructions for removal of the rear drive after I did the search, but I don't want to do his unless I know for sure what the problem really is. If it is the drive shaft, I would like to have a replacement on hand before I start any work to fix it.

Thanks

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 19th, 2009, 10:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Just to make sure -

It sounds like a u-joint in the drive shaft. Which will mean replacing the entire drive shaft. The rear drive is relatively easy to remove.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 20th, 2009, 9:07 am Thread Starter

I have reviewed the instructions for the clutch slave drilling and it covers the removal of the drive shaft - to a point. My question is: must the entire swing arm assembly be removed to replace the drive shaft?

Is there a way to inspect the drive shaft prior to removal to make sure that the drive shaft universal joint is the problem?

Thanks for the reply.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 4 Old May 20th, 2009, 11:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

When you remove the rear drive you get the rear U-joint with it. It is awful hard to pop the rest of the shaft loose from the tranny without pulling the swing arm loose. I pry the end free though the swing arm mount hole.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in