Electronic Starter Relay Diagnostics - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 18th, 2009, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Electronic Starter Relay Diagnostics

My quest for knowledge continues along with the adventure of determining why my bike won't crank.

Does anyone know how to go about running a diagnostic test on an electronic starter relay?

Up to this point I've accessed the starter relay, carefully removed the blue plastic housing cover, inspected the circuit board for signs of shorts, burning, overheating........ etc. I then reinstalled the relay without its cover. Afterwards I manually depressed the solenoid and the starter turned over, of course the bike won't fire up because the fuel tank has been removed. The starter relay does not respond to the starter button on the handle bar, but I know that several interlocks exist - kick stand, reverse micro-switches, etc. Up to this point I believe all the interlocks are working properly as they tested out o.k. to the best of my ability.

I guess the basic question is, is there any way to test the electronic starter relay's performance, or should I just assume the circuit board on the relay is faulty and replace it at what price, I have no idea $$$.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt Malof
Falls Church, VA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 18th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Electronic Starter Relay Diagnostics

Matt,

I've got a couple of ideas but it would be much easier if we just talked about........

If you feel inclined call me at 612-308-3439

Harv

Harvey Burt
Minneapolis, MN
'03 (new on 7/31/2004) LTC Anthracite
post #3 of 4 Old May 18th, 2009, 3:08 pm

I have had such a problem several days ago, my starter relay was hanging and all the power of the battery was gone.
I charged my battery, reinstalled it, ignition on, pushed the starter button 4 times without running the engine. The 5. time I started the engine and the relay was going to slip and I don't have problem since.

post #4 of 4 Old May 18th, 2009, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. A special thanks to Harv054 whose advice and wisdom lead me to the actual problem in a roundabout way. I discovered that a mouse had gnawed on the wiring harness leading to the alarm system unit located beneath the trunk and above the rear fender well. The damage is more than minimal, but I believe it can be repaired in house.

Although I'm not at all pleased about the rodent damage, I learned a lot about the reverse micro-switches, the kick-stand interlock and the starting circuit in general. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will function as designed after the wiring repair.

Matt Malof
Falls Church, VA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in