Just did an easier tranny fluid change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old May 17th, 2009, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Just did an easier tranny fluid change

Let me preface this as I have only had this bike about 3 weeks and am in the middle of a pcs move to Virginia. So I didn't have time to takle taking a lot of parts off to change the fluid. I bought the bike from a used dealer but I think he only changed the engine oil. So I changed the final drive fluid and used an air compressor pump I purchased off ebay to suck the fluid out of the tranny. It is meant for brake bleeding but will suck fluid out of anywhere. Just hook it up to the compressor and point the hose. So after a while it looked like it had all the fluid out. I measured what came out to be about .7 of a quart, maybe more. So according to what I've read I got it all. Now next time all take the bike apart and do it the old fashioned way but in a pinch, this worked great. By the way I used Amsoil fluid and the shifts seem much better.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old May 17th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Re: Just did an easier tranny fluid change

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
Let me preface this as I have only had this bike about 3 weeks and am in the middle of a pcs move to Virginia. So I didn't have time to takle taking a lot of parts off to change the fluid. I bought the bike from a used dealer but I think he only changed the engine oil. So I changed the final drive fluid and used an air compressor pump I purchased off ebay to suck the fluid out of the tranny. It is meant for brake bleeding but will suck fluid out of anywhere. Just hook it up to the compressor and point the hose. So after a while it looked like it had all the fluid out. I measured what came out to be about .7 of a quart, maybe more. So according to what I've read I got it all. Now next time all take the bike apart and do it the old fashioned way but in a pinch, this worked great. By the way I used Amsoil fluid and the shifts seem much better.
The .7 qt you mentioned sounds about right for the final drive. The tranny itself holds a lot more and it is also quite a bit more work to replace the fluid.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old May 17th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
The .7 qt you mentioned sounds about right for the final drive. The tranny itself holds a lot more and it is also quite a bit more work to replace the fluid.
Rear wheel drive fluid quantity for a fluid change is .24 qts. Tranny fluid quantity is .63 qts. If you got .7 qts out, you were right on, cuz the previous fluid 'adder' prolly just used 3/4 of a qt for ease of measuring.

Good tip on the suction pump. You have any info on make/brand/specs for that pump?

post #4 of 22 Old May 17th, 2009, 8:43 pm

I have an '03 LT and the gearbox holds between 600 and 750 CC
That is 20.3 - 25.4 ounces per manual, I put in near the high end and it
dripped all over the floor ( let it drain for several minutes ).
The final drive holds 230 CC or about 7.8 ounces (to top of filler neck).

I have changed the gearbox and final drive several times and in my
experience one quart will take care of both.

The only downside to what you did is not cleaning the magnet on the drain plug.
post #5 of 22 Old May 17th, 2009, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Bought it off ebay and I just looked, didn't see it. Same principal as this one though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pneum...motiveQ5fTools

Yeah downsize is what you said. Will get it next time when I have time.

05 LT
US Army
post #6 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Cool Re: Just did an easier tranny fluid change

Sounds like you are describing a MItyVac...

http://www.mityvac.com/

I have seen them and knock off of one in Harbor Frt.

Just borrowed one from my friend to change my clutch fluid, nice idea to use it for the trany
post #7 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 3:15 pm
ajs

That's a great idea. The next time I do a trans. fl. change I think I will do that. I am sick and tired of getting fl. all over the center stand and floor. I agree, the downside is as stated. An oil analysis should determine if there are other problems with the transmission, so unless I have cause for concern about the operation of the transmission, I would rely on the analysis to determine if further action is required.

I have a hand pump similar to the one referred to by bigH501 that I used for brake bleeding on cars in my auto repair life. I found it hard on the hand to operate and would expect it to be even more so to pump the approx. .75 litre/qt. from the transmission.
post #8 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

The bad part is you don't get the shavings off the magnet nor see what is all there. The good part is the magnet still works and the shavings are not doing any damage. It is similar to the miti vac, just a cheaper version I found on a subaru forum. This definitely saved time. I will say though that because of the high viscosity of the fluid and the fact that my pump was made for brake fluid and my compressor is not the largest one it took some time. However I just placed the hose in there and went inside to talk to the misses. Just checked on it every once in a while. When I saw air bubbles I stayed out there and relocated the hose as needed till all was gone. I have taken some real good info off of this site, just trying to pitch back in.

05 LT
US Army
post #9 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
The bad part is you don't get the shavings off the magnet nor see what is all there. The good part is the magnet still works and the shavings are not doing any damage. It is similar to the miti vac, just a cheaper version I found on a subaru forum. This definitely saved time. I will say though that because of the high viscosity of the fluid and the fact that my pump was made for brake fluid and my compressor is not the largest one it took some time. However I just placed the hose in there and went inside to talk to the misses. Just checked on it every once in a while. When I saw air bubbles I stayed out there and relocated the hose as needed till all was gone. I have taken some real good info off of this site, just trying to pitch back in.

Hey Gunner,
(forgive me if this old Navy guy calls you wrong.... some of my best pals were USMC Warrants and I knew 'em as Gunner, with respect)

Good suggestion you make re pumping out tranny fluid. As you note, it isn't the best approach for a confident full drain and it doesn't give you a view of metal on the drain magnet, but it sure is easier and a good alternative if fluid change is due and you don't want to deal with the access to the drain plug. Same technique used to oil change some maritime engines where getting at the drain plug in the bilge is a bitch.
Good suggestion of an alternative approach.
post #10 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Rear wheel drive fluid quantity for a fluid change is .24 qts. Tranny fluid quantity is .63 qts. If you got .7 qts out, you were right on, cuz the previous fluid 'adder' prolly just used 3/4 of a qt for ease of measuring.

Good tip on the suction pump. You have any info on make/brand/specs for that pump?
Right you are, Dick! I got my fluids backward. The dealership always tries to sell me 2 quarts for my tranny/FD flush because according to the manual I will need just over a quart for both. Silly me, I never listen to them...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Primepower; are you PCSing to the DC area?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #12 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
Primepower; are you PCSing to the DC area?
Close, Fort Eustis so I will live in Williamsburg. I was stationed at Belvoir in 03.

In the Army we call them Chief if W2 or higher. I am not so it is Mr Wade. But most call me Chief, or Jason, or hey you I really don't care. Not about the rank.

05 LT
US Army
post #13 of 22 Old May 18th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Sounds easier, but I think I would rather drain it out as I think that would remove any metal chips that are down there as they would come out with the moving fluid. Plus you can inspect the drain plug to see what kind of metal it has stuck to it and clean it also. It's a good way to keep track of any problems that may be popping up.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #14 of 22 Old May 19th, 2009, 2:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
Sounds easier, but I think I would rather drain it out as I think that would remove any metal chips that are down there as they would come out with the moving fluid. Plus you can inspect the drain plug to see what kind of metal it has stuck to it and clean it also. It's a good way to keep track of any problems that may be popping up.
I totally agree. Drain the warm fluid out allowing all particles to flush out, inspect and clean the plug. Not my favorite thing to do although I feel it's the right way. With over 100k I'm always wondering how many more miles the trans will go. I'm hoping for another 100k

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)
post #15 of 22 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:46 pm

I just finished the 12K service today and saved changing the gearbox lube for last as I was dreading the task after what I've read here. i.e. "If you think that was hard then wait til you change the fluid in the tranny!" I was surprised how easy it was. Removed the 3 allen bolts on the right side cover, took out 3 tupperware screws, took out the 2 bolts holding the back of the skid plate, removed the bracket for the exhaust support and there was the 14 mm plug ready to come out. Only took about 20 mins to change the fluid. MUCH easier than anticipated!

The final drive was a slight PITA because you can't see in the overflow hole without a mirror and a light source.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #16 of 22 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:54 pm

I just finished the 12K service today and saed changing the gearbox lube for last as I was dreading the task after what I've read here. i.e. "If you think that was hard then wait til you change the fluid in the tranny!" I was surprised how easy it was. Removed the 3 allen bolts on the right side cover, took out 3 tupperware screws, took out the 2 bolts holding the back of the skid plate, removed the bracket for the exhaust support and there was the 14 mm plug ready to come out. Only took about 20 mins to change the fluid. MUCH easier than anticipated!

The final drive was a slight PITA because you can't see in the overflow hole without a mirror and a light source.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #17 of 22 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

Loren
Next time use a baby bottle. Most are marked in ml and the nipple fits the fill hole, just snip the tip to get better oil flow. Fill it with 240 ml of your favorite lube and squeeze away.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 22 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I just finished the 12K service today and saed changing the gearbox lube for last as I was dreading the task after what I've read here. i.e. "If you think that was hard then wait til you change the fluid in the tranny!" I was surprised how easy it was. Removed the 3 allen bolts on the right side cover, took out 3 tupperware screws, took out the 2 bolts holding the back of the skid plate, removed the bracket for the exhaust support and there was the 14 mm plug ready to come out. Only took about 20 mins to change the fluid. MUCH easier than anticipated!

Loren
The trick is to do it without getting tranny fluid over everything! Even if one makes the thing to catch the fluid that is shown in the manual, it gets messy when you first remove the plug.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #19 of 22 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
The trick is to do it without getting tranny fluid over everything! Even if one makes the thing to catch the fluid that is shown in the manual, it gets messy when you first remove the plug.
If you make a diverter using a retangular oil bottle cut at an angle leaving the spout and cap attached, it will fit under the drain hole and route the fluid to your catch pan. Be sure to remove the cap.

I didn't come up with this idea. Seems like Mr. Shealey might have. There are pictures of the cut bottle, placement, etc. in the HoW, archives, or somewhere. That's where I found it. Works very well.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #20 of 22 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have tried cut out bottles but have the greatest success with the factory designed diverter. Just remove the filler plug first and the fluid flows out nicely. Leave the filler plug in and it will gurgle and splash everywhere.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #21 of 22 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Just remove the filler plug first and the fluid flows out nicely. Leave the filler plug in and it will gurgle and splash everywhere.
Good call, John. If you drain the fluid and then the fill plug won't come out, you won't have any tranny fluid in the gearbox. This happened to me with an old Toyota Supra years ago. I had to have a mobile shop come to me to get that fill plug out. Now I always loosen the fill plug first.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #22 of 22 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Plus I find it really hard to trun the LT upside down and hold a funnel in the drain port.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in