1/2 A Brake Flush? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 17th, 2009, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

1/2 A Brake Flush?

Well since seeing brake fluid under my bike from rear pads going low, then me pushing the pistons in.

So I knew I needed to pull the ABS covers on the pots and visually check.

Well I pulled the rear panel which is all of five minuets pop the rear cover and it looked full. Really know surprise there as the caps of the front and rear ABS covers have a Y to a vent tube.

Well I thought I have a funnel I bought and unboxed it. Nice unit. The I saw the frame rail and remembered someone here said about cutting it and putting a clear piece of tube on it to work it into the tight fit. Did that and used a rat tail file to deburr it then a sharp blade and finally wash and a hair dryer to get it dry.

So I screw on the cap of the funnel to the ABS unit rear pot, attached a Mighty Vac brake hose with ball valve line only, filled the funnel, opened the rear outside brake fitting, turned the bike on and hit the rear brake pedal. Hmmm brown fluid, keep the funnel half full and clear comes out eventually. Clear past the ball valve, turn the valve off, turn the bleed screw closed, and repeat on the other rear bleed screw.

Did exactly the same on the fronts, same "dirty" to clear transitions.

So put it all together, and get ready for a ride.

Check I have brakes as others here have warned many times, I do.

Back it off the lift down a very slight grade to the street.

I hold my breath click first and a couple of revolutions and the brake light on the dash goes out and I still have brakes!

So 60 Mlle ride and bring her back home and it still has brakes.

So throw the GS911 on it to check the new software and it is all Griff said and showed it was. Hey no codes, and all looks good.

I guess that part of the LT brake flush is demystified for me now.

If I would have known how to get the two reservoirs empty I would have done that also.

Anyone have a "simple" explanation? Bunch of nipples up on that ABS unit?

I am just happy I have brakes and since I have a 07 I was happy to push a bunch of new fluid through that ABS unit, and still have brakes. While not brown, the fluid was dirty.

Just looking to protect that expensive ABS unit.

Total time about 45 minuets.

Baby steps............

going after the clutch fluid next. Here tell that is a gravity bleed?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; May 17th, 2009 at 5:32 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 17th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Re: 1/2 A Brake Flush?

The 05 and later have 2 independent circuits and there are that many nipples on the ABS unit for that reason. You only replaced the brake fluid on the wheel circuit but you did not replaced the fluid in the control circuit.
Take a look at John Zeiler's document for a better understanding of your brakes system

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 17th, 2009, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
The 05 and later have 2 independent circuits and there are that many nipples on the ABS unit for that reason. You only replaced the brake fluid on the wheel circuit but you did not replaced the fluid in the control circuit.
Take a look at John Zeiler's document for a better understanding of your brakes system
Thank you.

Yep was pretty sure that is what I had done, just the wheel circuits.

Still dirty though

I think it was I had that BB.com funnel sitting around, and I got to mod it a bit, new tool and all that

After I get through my Summer trip I want to either muddle through it, or see if someone 100 miles or so around would help me get through it in a Tech Session.

Not hard to get to the unit at all so no big deal in my book. I don't think I wasted anything, or hurt anything as the 911 showed. Did I mention it was dirty? I just need to get to that ABS unit after seeing what I saw today.

Only 2 years old too.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; May 17th, 2009 at 8:41 pm.

post #4 of 9 Old May 17th, 2009, 11:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Lee,

Great Job. That was me that used the tubing to make the funnel more user friendly. Now about all those nipples on the ABS unit. They are 1 - the front metering cylinder; 2 - front integral circuit; and 3 - front control circuit (the pic on the left). And the same setup for the rear (pic on the right). These you do the old fashioned way, pump and hold - open bleeder, close bleeder and pump and hold. All with the key OFF. Use a 7mm wrench and to make some of them more accessable just pop off the ABS unit electrical connector. Stick a flat blade screwdriver in the slot on the "domed" end of the connector and work it out board. It will unlatch and lift the plug.

The correct sequence is 1, 2, 3 and 1 again. This is more critical for a bleed if air has been introduce and less so for a flush. I get most of the bad fluid out on #1 and very small amounts out of #2 and #3. Also I would only recommend doing the "other half" once every three years as I got pretty good fluid out after two years. But then I did one at STC in the Smokies and the front control circuit was pretty black. Just adjust for moisture content in your location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	23073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	23074  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; May 17th, 2009 at 11:39 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old May 18th, 2009, 11:23 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you John.

I love your posts as you pretty much give what a person asks for.

After reading all the documents I have, I just wanted an easy to follow procedure 1,2,3,and 1 again is just what I wanted, and asked for.

Only difference I see is on my 07 it looks like the #2 are very long on my ABS unit. I will have to look tonight to be sure but it makes little difference in the procedure.

I think I will go after these tonight and see if I can blow something up.

I assume keeping the tube a bit higher then the bleed screw and the tube full will minimize the risk of air entering the system?

Also assume to baster out the front and rear reservoirs and fill with fresh to start to minimize the times one must open and close the bleeder screws?

Also I assume all three of these circuits feed from their perspective front/rear reservoirs?

Thank you again making something that is rather confusing to me anyway, way easier. I just do not need to know the specific function of each circuit, just how to get them serviced.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 9 Old May 18th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes on all your assumtions. The picture is dead verticle, which is misleading, yes those are very long nipples. Another tip on the front reservoir, there are two holes that feed the piston. The tiny little bugger will squirt fluid much further than one would expect. I lay a dull box cutter blade in the reservoir to cover that dirty little hole, don't forget to remove it.

The book has you remove the switch gear and loosen the handle bar clamp to level the reservoir. Not absolutley necessary but I usually do it, Clean the rubber gasket and only fill to the little notch on the marker.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 9 Old May 20th, 2009, 6:01 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

John and all just wanted to follow up on this.

I did them 1,2, and 3 front and rear and no issues at all.

Well not quite, my hose was a bit too big so I did make a mess pulling them off each nipple. Need to get the right size hose in another 2 years

I can see the need for a bent wrench. I got it done and worked VERY gently on each fitting. I will get someone to cut and weld me a 7MM.

Ran about two reservoirs and then a top off on each, front and rear. While not dark brown it was brown at every bleed point.

I now have piece of mind. Being an 07 and I do not know the date of birth off the top of my head, I felt I was due anyway.

I will put it on the GS-911 tomorrow after some miles but feel confident with no wig wags on the dash, and it stops me all is well.

John I cant thank you enough for your help!!!!!!!

Following your pictures it was really a very easy task.

Well my 16 year old son did all the squeezing and pushing on the pedal and handle so he may disagree

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 9 Old May 20th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Hey, Glad to help Lee. After all "it is what we do", to quote John Spencer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 9 Old May 23rd, 2009, 3:12 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 1/2 A Brake Flush?/+ 1/2=Done

Thanks to John, and this Forum I can put this to bed.

NO faults on the GS-911 after 100 miles or so.

I am concerned on the rears going in 13,000 miles. They were EBC's, on the EBC rotor just not sure of the composition?

Also after looking at notes I see when I replaced my front tire and was cleaning the calipers I popped it out. That is when I threw a wig wag on the Dash. I filled only the Front reservoir of the ABS unit to make it go away at that time.

So with Pads down to all but backing plate, I never did get a Wig Wag from them as I had original implied.

Need to watch reservoirs more closely.

I watch the clutch reservoir like a Hawk!

Anyway the funnel from BeemerBoneYard, a bit of tubing, and the two pictures posted here by John showing sequence, it is a very doable project.

Ohhh and if you have not reached in the wallet for this forum, go ahead and do it NOW , seriously you cant buy a Magazine subscription with this amount of knowledge in one place even for 100,000,000

Thanks to all, again!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in