weight on the trunk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 11:30 am Thread Starter

weight on the trunk

Does anyone have any advisable guidelines for weight resting on top of the trunk? I know it adds a bit to the already high center of gravity. I have done this before. But my wife and I have a long trip planned to Utah from Iowa for the World Super Bike race there on the 28th. Need to bring some extra clothes. Will pack a soft duffle style luggage and strap it there. Just can't remember what the max weight should be given the trunk itself will be packed. Is 20 lbs too much? 30?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 11:34 am

Re: weight on the trunk

ON the trunk itself, I wouldn't put anything you couldn't pick up with your little finger. Bulky but light gear (light rain proofs and light sleeping bags, tent canvas etc.)

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #3 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Good advice. We we travel a small roll bag with rain gear and sunscreen is what goes on the rack. That way nothing else is opened up or has the chance to get wet.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #4 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Enjoy The Ride

My dealer told me no more than 25lbs. on the rack. He also said to avoid sudden movements such as on & off hard braking. I use a two foot long & one foot tall & wide Kuryakyn bag.

Also make sure the bag is tight enough on the rack so that it will not move at all. I use the four tie down straps plus two more at the rear of the bag. Be careful when you open the top case. I flip my back rest over & rest the top case on it to give equal load on the hinges.

I also check on the tightness to the rack all the time. Especially the first few miles. I have over 15,000 trouble free miles with the bag on the rack with a lot of miles well in excess of 100mph. You can see part of it in my picture.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Once I hauled two of the 28lb boxes of Wal-mart cat litter on the top of my trunk. I tied them down with just a bungie net. I wouldn't go over 40 lbs if I were hauling more than a few miles. I must admit that I was a bit foolish with the litter - one quick stop and I'm sure the boxes would have flown into the back of my helmet. I only needed to transport them about 5 miles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #6 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Lightbulb Re: weight on the trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Does anyone have any advisable guidelines for weight resting on top of the trunk? I know it adds a bit to the already high center of gravity. I have done this before. But my wife and I have a long trip planned to Utah from Iowa for the World Super Bike race there on the 28th. Need to bring some extra clothes. Will pack a soft duffle style luggage and strap it there. Just can't remember what the max weight should be given the trunk itself will be packed. Is 20 lbs too much? 30?
Here is what we do when going to CCR, usually a 9-10 day trip. We ship via UPS some clothes and things we'll need once there but that we won't need during the ride itself. Then we ship back our dirty laundry and whatever else we won't need for the trip back. Since you will be travelling more days that you will be staying at your destination I would suggest shipping some extra clothes to your half-way point hotel... For a big box the shipping cost was $25-30 each way. The bike is not overloaded during our riding days, and that is paramount to us. Just a thought...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 3:20 pm

The trunk is plenty sturdy, in my opinion. Go for it, just don't get carried away...
post #8 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
According to the sticker in my top case, the top case, left saddlebag and right saddlebag limit is 22 lbs. each. The luggage rack recommended limit is 11lbs. It also states the the fully loaded weight including rider(s) and luggage should not exceed 1,323 lbs.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #9 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 4:11 pm

SPACEBAGS they work great i packed 9 days of clothes and all my wifes "stuff" for myself and my wife into the bike, i had a large duffel on top of the rear rack.not sured what it weighed but it was very secure
post #10 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Wink Re: weight on the trunk

I have put way beyond the recommended weight limit but made sure to secure it well. I felt no ill handling effects. As long as it is well secured, 25 or 30 lbs of weight is nothing relative to the overall weight of the bike. I'm sure you'll find many who would contradict this but this is my experience.
post #11 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 7:08 pm

per the users manual, no more than 25 lbs

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #12 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Two large pizzas with proper bungees have never been an issue.
post #13 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I added the OEM rack to my '99 LT and have used a duffle type bag that weighs about 40 lbs. on numerous occasions when traveling two up with my wife with no bad effects.
post #14 of 15 Old May 17th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Read the Manual I remember some speed limitations when top box is loaded , do you think BMW is just guessing ? same is in airplanes the factory does a lot of safety testing , but then it is your call .

Bob G
post #15 of 15 Old May 18th, 2009, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Here is what we do when going to CCR, usually a 9-10 day trip. We ship via UPS some clothes and things we'll need once there but that we won't need during the ride itself. Then we ship back our dirty laundry and whatever else we won't need for the trip back. Since you will be travelling more days that you will be staying at your destination I would suggest shipping some extra clothes to your half-way point hotel... For a big box the shipping cost was $25-30 each way. The bike is not overloaded during our riding days, and that is paramount to us. Just a thought...
Yes. I've done that before, too. It makes good sense. But we're camping so I have no place to send the package. Otherwise it would be a good plan.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in