$2.00 Cup/Drink Holder Project - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 16th, 2009, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Smile $2.00 Cup/Drink Holder Project

Maybe not too original, but the high dollar BMW Cup Holder that came with the used LT I bought last fall interferes with the way I mounted my Zumo & tank bag, so I came up with an alternate, that is very low cost, and not to much more of a reach. Easy to install; no holes to drill or clamps to attach. The holder can be removed easily when not used, leaving only a couple of small pieces of velcro on bike, which are hardly noticable. So far it seems to work just fine, and if I want to I can remove it completely in less than a minute with no sign it was ever there.

Photos at http://rallred.smugmug.com/gallery/8...38061777_5gmrP

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 17th, 2009, 8:40 am

Re: $2.00 Cup/Drink Holder Project

The Velcro idea is great. I use it to mount my garage door remote. That position for the cup holder however, would prevent me from putting my left foot up on the tip over wing when riding long slabs - which is really quite comfortable.
post #3 of 20 Old May 17th, 2009, 8:54 am

I like your thinking. There was no way that I was going to part with $150 to hold a $2 drink. I made a camera mount for my bike that installed into the left mirror hole on the handle bar. It did a great job of holding the camera but that was all that I used it for so I thought about removing it until I walked through Wal-mart's automotive section one day and came across the plastic cup holders....4 for $2.00. I bought a set and cut the end where it was supposed to hang in the car window and then drilled one 1/4'' hole to go over the screw on the camera mount. Tightened it all down with a nylon nut. It holds up to a 44oz drink and stays out of the wind in most windshield positions that I use. And I can still mount the camera on the bike at the same time without interfering with the drink removal and replacement. The most difficult part was bending the mount so that the camera was level when riding.

My total cost nearly broke the bank in comparison. I spent about 7 times the amount that you invested in your cupholder. $150 for a cupholder, cut me a break.

I have three cupholders remaining in the pack. I do not have armrests for the pillion, but I plan to acquire them within the next year. Has anyone come up with a way to mount a cupholder onto the pillion area without using an armrest? I would like to see pictures. I'm trying to figure out how to do it without causing a permanent scar on the bike because I plan to eventually mount the drink holder to the arm rests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5020020.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	23061   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5020022.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	23062  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets

post #4 of 20 Old May 17th, 2009, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeo
The Velcro idea is great. I use it to mount my garage door remote. That position for the cup holder however, would prevent me from putting my left foot up on the tip over wing when riding long slabs - which is really quite comfortable.

Yes, it would be in the way for resting a foot there, but I have installed the Mick-0-pegs below the crash-tip-over-bars, so I'm taken care of in the alternate leg position area.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #5 of 20 Old May 18th, 2009, 9:04 am

Very Cool idea. I am now thinking about picking up a bicycle type carbon fiber bottle holder and mounting it like yours. As others have said, much better than the BMW ripoff, and for about $20 I can go high tech

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #6 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:56 pm

When I purchased my 2005 K1200LT there were 3 holes on the left side handle bar. Not sure what the previous owner had there. A new cup holder is $190 CDN so I purchased the one pictured at Canadian Tire for $10. Two of the holes lined up perfectly and I filled in the third hole. Looks almost factory made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cup holder.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	23271   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder2.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	23272   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder3.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	23273  
post #7 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
Maybe not too original, but the high dollar BMW Cup Holder that came with the used LT I bought last fall interferes with the way I mounted my Zumo & tank bag, so I came up with an alternate, that is very low cost, and not to much more of a reach. Easy to install; no holes to drill or clamps to attach. The holder can be removed easily when not used, leaving only a couple of small pieces of velcro on bike, which are hardly noticable. So far it seems to work just fine, and if I want to I can remove it completely in less than a minute with no sign it was ever there.

Photos at http://rallred.smugmug.com/gallery/8...38061777_5gmrP

you are my hero!!!
post #8 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 6:21 pm

And that position keeps your drink nice and warm in the winter too!
post #9 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht
I like your thinking. There was no way that I was going to part with $150 to hold a $2 drink. I made a camera mount for my bike that installed into the left mirror hole on the handle bar. It did a great job of holding the camera but that was all that I used it for so I thought about removing it until I walked through Wal-mart's automotive section one day and came across the plastic cup holders....4 for $2.00. I bought a set and cut the end where it was supposed to hang in the car window and then drilled one 1/4'' hole to go over the screw on the camera mount. Tightened it all down with a nylon nut. It holds up to a 44oz drink and stays out of the wind in most windshield positions that I use. And I can still mount the camera on the bike at the same time without interfering with the drink removal and replacement. The most difficult part was bending the mount so that the camera was level when riding.

My total cost nearly broke the bank in comparison. I spent about 7 times the amount that you invested in your cupholder. $150 for a cupholder, cut me a break.

I have three cupholders remaining in the pack. I do not have armrests for the pillion, but I plan to acquire them within the next year. Has anyone come up with a way to mount a cupholder onto the pillion area without using an armrest? I would like to see pictures. I'm trying to figure out how to do it without causing a permanent scar on the bike because I plan to eventually mount the drink holder to the arm rests.

If you have a bakup back rest, there are two mounting bolts holding the backrest to the support. Get yourself a bicycle water bottle holder (or similar) and mount it to the back of the bakup. There is plenty of room. You may need to increase the lengths of the original bakup bolts, but go ahead! This will give the pillion a place to put their water or other bottle.

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #10 of 20 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 6:22 pm

My $.02.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cupholder.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	23399   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-10-09 012.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	23400   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-10-09 011.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	23401   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-10-09 010.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	23402  
post #11 of 20 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark318
My $.02.
That's great, but what do you do if your riding 2 up?

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #12 of 20 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 8:29 am

Unhappy Re: $2.00 Cup/Drink Holder Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp
If you have a bakup back rest, there are two mounting bolts holding the backrest to the support. Get yourself a bicycle water bottle holder (or similar) and mount it to the back of the bakup. There is plenty of room. You may need to increase the lengths of the original bakup bolts, but go ahead! This will give the pillion a place to put their water or other bottle.
There wouldn't be "plenty of room" on my bike for this water bottle holder. My wife is quite slim, and there simply isn't much room between the back of my Bakup backrest, and her. So a water bottle holder mounted there would be out of the question. I was considering putting a custom made pouch/pocket there too...but she said...no way. And for what it's worth, I have my top box(trunk) moved back to the rear-most mounting position, so I have no way to gain any additional room...'lest I remove the trunk of course.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #13 of 20 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:10 am

Not $2.... but well worth the cost and it can be modified to hold other handlebar mounted items...

http://www.glassact.com/galleryBMW.htm

I love mine!
post #14 of 20 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Quote:
My $.02.

Have you tried this setup? With the drink holder mounted to the footpeg, I would imagine that any type of liquid on the road would end up on the mouth piece.... I suggest that any drink holders be mounted behind the windshield area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
post #15 of 20 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Wink Re: $2.00 Cup/Drink Holder Project

The cup holder doesn't get in the way when the pegs are down. And I haven't found a women yet that can go too long without a rest stop.
The other question about the mouthpiece getting dirty, well ah....I don't think it gets any dirtier than my mouth.........
post #16 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 8:51 am

Quote:

The other question about the mouthpiece getting dirty, well ah....I don't think it gets any dirtier than my mouth.........
I think we may know why your passenger pegs don't get much use.

Chad Albrecht
post #17 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Well I tried to be of help. I just can't figure how anything behind my leg get dirtier than my face flapping in the wind. I think I've looked at every position up front and all of them obstruct or seem like something to poke me in the eye if something happens.
If you want to get personal bubba you ain't so hot looking either.
post #18 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 7:15 am

Quote:
If you want to get personal bubba you ain't so hot looking either.
That's why I choose the full face helmets.

Chad Albrecht
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 8:43 am

Oh come on ppl... it's the button, I tell you, the button! The BMW holder was the first farkle I got. That satisfying clunk when you pop it open, the amazement on faces of nearby riders....priceless.

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #20 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland
When I purchased my 2005 K1200LT there were 3 holes on the left side handle bar. Not sure what the previous owner had there. A new cup holder is $190 CDN so I purchased the one pictured at Canadian Tire for $10. Two of the holes lined up perfectly and I filled in the third hole. Looks almost factory made.

I looked for this model to see if it is feasible - can not find it. do you have a name brand or something I could look up and research.

Swamprat

06 KLT
02 LTC w/hannigan - sold
98 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500E - sold and my butt still hurts
86 Yamaha 1100 Virago (what a machine) - sold
80Yamaha 650 Maxim (from cradle to grave 72K)
75 Suzuki 400
75 Bultaco 250 MX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in