Newbie, First Post & Need Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 15th, 2009, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Newbie, First Post & Need Help

Hello! I've been lurking, listening and learning here for quite some time. There is certainly a wealth of experience and knowledge here. Some day I hope to be able to contribute at least as much information as I take away from this site. But for now I'll stick to listening and learning and asking for help. And speaking of help, I need some advice, suggestions / technical advice.

My 2004 K1200LT will not crank / engage the starter. I've covered the basics to the best of my knowledge and have read extensively from prior postings / threads related to this subject. I'm somewhat familiar with the interlocks with respect to the kick stand and the reverse selector switch. I'm able to get the starter to engage and the engine to turn-over by directly supplying power to the starter from the battery, though I opted out of actually firing up the beast.

I've removed the tupperware from the left side of the bike. I can hear the two micro-switches engage as I slowly turn the reverse selector switch. I was unable to locate the connector housing the "green, brown and white" wire in order to temporarily by-pass the interlock system by grounding that pin. To say the least I'm quite frustrated. I've always been able to work out most mechanical / electrical problems in the past, but not this time. The battery is strong, the lights are bright, I've even hooked up a battery jumper pack, so I know the amps are sufficient. I've never fooled with the alarm system as the "engine immobilizer" is not well explained in my owners manual. I do notice that the alarm system LED flashes faintly every time I depress the starter button - nowhere have I found mention of this being normal or not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I see a trip to either "Morton's or Bob's" in my near future anyway, as I must now replace some of the rubberized grommets / nuts that I damage removing the tupperware this afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 15th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Re: Newbie, First Post & Need Help

Just to clarify.
You turn the key, the alarm light on the console is solid red. You press the left button on the key fob to dis-engage the immobilizer? The alarm light goes out?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 10 Old May 15th, 2009, 6:34 pm

I heard this week of a guy whose alarm and imoboliser got out of sink with each other - I wonder if this is the same thing?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old May 15th, 2009, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

I mentioned the bike has an alarm system in an attempt to present a complete picture of what is going on - namely I can't get the starter to crank without jumping the starter directly to the battery. I have never used the alarm system since I purchased the bike. The key fobs do not interact with the alarm system and never have to my knowledge. Two days ago while trying to diagnosis the fail-to-crank problem, I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes. When I reconnected the leads the alarm system went into alarm, stayed on for the required 26 seconds and then was silent. I tried to disarm the system with both key fobs to no avail. I had to enter the "code" via observing the LED flashes and turning the key on and off as required. The alarm was silenced and the system acknowledged a reset.

I do not believe the alarm system is the cause of my fail-to-crank problem, but I can't rule it out since I don't know how the engine becomes "immobilized" - i.e. it doesn't crank, or it cranks, but won't start, etc. I'm looking for ways to diagnosis what the problem is buy ruling out other issues. For example, the specific location of the "connection" that contains the pin that can be grounded to by-pass the reverse inter-lock micro switch(s) assembly.
post #5 of 10 Old May 15th, 2009, 8:28 pm

My bet is the alarm was programmed so you didn't have to disarm the immobilizer to start the bike, (a common thing). It could be the battery was disconnected at some point and the alarm defaulted to its default behavior. When the immobilizer is engaged, the starter motor will not engage even though you have power to everything.

If the fobs are out of synch press the left button repeatedly, also you may need to replace the batteries in the fobs.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #6 of 10 Old May 15th, 2009, 9:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I agree with Michael,

The alarm has returned to the defualt state where you must use the FOB to start the bike. You need to re-sync the FOBs to the alarm. I'll see if I can run down a procedure to do that and post it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 10 Old May 16th, 2009, 7:53 am
Super Moderator

Not sure if John is referring to just syncing a key FOB to the bike's alarm system so if he is here goes . . .

Re-syncing FOBs to alarms well I believe I am qualified to report how I do that.

I own a key FOB that eats batteries and whenever I do maintainence on the bike and disconnect the bike's battery the bike requires the alarm to be disabled when I reconnect the battery back up. Well the FOB does not work, since the FOB battery (CR2032) is dead, so in goes a new battery in the FOB and I do the following:

While next to the bike hold down both buttons on the FOB unitl the FOB light start to blink.
This indicates you are communicating with the bikes alarm system.
Now cycle the bikes alarm system off and on a few times.

See if this might help . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #8 of 10 Old May 19th, 2009, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank all the members who responded to my first post. After several days of diagnostics, poking and prodding I discovered the reason my K1200LT failed to crank. Apparently over the Winter a mouse took up residence beneath the rear seat where the brains of the alarm system are mounted. Feeling cold and hungry, the mouse, I'll call him or her Honda, decided to chew on a multitude of wires. Some were actually severed, others severely damaged. Fortunately, I was able to splice and solder all the wires back together. I then used heat shrink tubing to isolate the repairs from one another. Afterwards, I wrapped the entire harness in cold shrink tape - it sticks to itself, but not the wiring. Lastly, I used flexible conduit to encase the harness.

The bike now cranks, but since the fuel tank has been removed, I'm not sure I'm out of the woods yet. I'm not in such a rush to put the bike back together as I will probably do some service, maintenance work beforehand.

Again, a sincere thanks to everyone who responded to my call for help. Oh, and yes, the alarm system now operates as designed and responds to both key fobs accordingly.

Matt Malof
Northern Virginia
post #9 of 10 Old May 19th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Matt:

Welcome to the forum.

Good job on the repair.

It'll probably fire right up when you get the gas tank back on it.

B D R
post #10 of 10 Old May 19th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Awesome Matt, good to hear it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in