Need Your confirmation and comments(Slave cylinder) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old May 12th, 2009, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Need Your confirmation and comments(Slave cylinder)

Good morning lads

As i previously have been talking that my clutch is gone and slipping, well yesterday finally we got in to it and opne Slave and this was what i found.
What is your take on this, there is tiny little drop of oil,, for my idea it means that slave is gone(have replacements already) and need to be changed, im i even close to correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old May 12th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Re: Need Your confirmation and comments(Slave cylinder)

DING! DING! We have a winner! You are correct my friend! And, that seal inside of that boss needs to be changed too! Do NOT neglect to change it.

If I were in your shoes, I would at drill a drain hole in the clutch housing too and here's what I would do BEFORE I went to all the time and expense to change the clutch. I would use brake cleaner (aerosol) and REALLY spray it all inside the clutch housing and let it drain out several times. I might even blow a little compressed air in there to dry it good. Then I would test the clutch to see if if slips after a cleaning. (Of course, I would change the engine oil too, just in case it was contaminated). But, having replaced about 3-4 clutches in LT's, I would love to try this first and see if it would stop slippage. Might not, but would be worth a try. If it doesn't work, just go ahead and replace the clutch. Not much lost.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 22 Old May 12th, 2009, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Jack

Thnx for your input,, i have clutch plate as well already and that is on the work plan.
Only what i just realice that i might NOT have is inner inside seal to Boss...darn...do you have part number for that?

Weep hole is on the work plan as well.

thnx a lot

post #4 of 22 Old May 13th, 2009, 7:43 am

If you have over 40,000 miles on the bike, also put a new engine oil seal and O-ring in. The O-ring hardens and cracks, causing an oil leak. Also go ahead and replace all the transmission oil seals while it is out.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 22 Old May 13th, 2009, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
...that seal inside of that boss needs to be changed too! Do NOT neglect to change it. If I were in your shoes, I would at drill a drain hole in the clutch housing too
Don't mean to hijack this thread....but couple of quick Q's for Pastor Jack. I'm getting ready to drill the slave cyl weep hole. It's a '02 with 9500 (I know, I know...but in my defense, it was not driven for a few years while I lived overseas). Anyway, if I don't see any fluid when I remove my slave cyl (in prep for drilling the hole), should I replace thyat seal too? Also, might you have any pictures of the hole drilled in the clutch housing? Can the clutch hole be done without disassembly? Seems drilling this clutch hole could have a negative potential...like if you go through any deep water. Your advice is appreciated. Regards, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #6 of 22 Old May 13th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Don't mean to hijack this thread....but couple of quick Q's for Pastor Jack. I'm getting ready to drill the slave cyl weep hole. It's a '02 with 9500 (I know, I know...but in my defense, it was not driven for a few years while I lived overseas). Anyway, if I don't see any fluid when I remove my slave cyl (in prep for drilling the hole), should I replace thyat seal too? Also, might you have any pictures of the hole drilled in the clutch housing? Can the clutch hole be done without disassembly? Seems drilling this clutch hole could have a negative potential...like if you go through any deep water. Your advice is appreciated. Regards, Toolman
I'm sure Jack will agree. As long as you're in there replace the seal. The fluid is actually coming from the slave itself, replacing the seal just improves your odds of reliability. The weep hole issue has been discussed in depth. I have not seen a case where external contamination allowed by the hole is an issue. Any water which gets in will exit the same hole.
post #7 of 22 Old May 13th, 2009, 7:04 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
BEFORE I went to all the time and expense to change the clutch. I would use brake cleaner (aerosol) and REALLY spray it all inside the clutch housing and let it drain out several times. I might even blow a little compressed air in there to dry it good. Then I would test the clutch to see if if slips after a cleaning.
Just went through the unfortunate and EXPENSIVE process of fixing a rear main seal, complete with oil contaminated clutch, and all the fixins'. I got a used clutch (complete kit) from one of the fine used part vendors on this site that appeared to meet specs, appeared dry and dusty .... with less mileage than my own.

The dealer who was doing the work installed it along with everything else and sent me on my merry way. 3 days later I was back at the dealership dropping the bike off because the clutch was slipping.

After opening the whole thing up again ..... we found there had been no installation error and the clutch appeared dry - but definitely slipped.

Of course it was nothing that about Cdn $770 in clutch and related parts -- oh yeah, and the labor cost of taking it back apart and putting it back together. Thankfully I have an AWESOME dealer (Atlantic Motoplex in Moncton) and they helped with damage control in managing the cost of mistakenly installing a used clutch.

So - a question for Jack ... how do you check a clutch for slippage without installing and running it? And a bit of advice for anyone considering reusing or installing a used part that goes as deep into the engine as a clutch does ... don't do it. Spend the extra on new parts when the thing is in pieces. It's far less costly than paying to take it apart and put it back together all over again.

One of life's little lessons I wish I had not had to learn personally
Keir
post #8 of 22 Old May 13th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Ouch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
I'm sure Jack will agree. As long as you're in there replace the seal. The fluid is actually coming from the slave itself, replacing the seal just improves your odds of reliability. The weep hole issue has been discussed in depth. I have not seen a case where external contamination allowed by the hole is an issue. Any water which gets in will exit the same hole.
Thanks mjordans2000. It doesn't appear that Jack is referring the slave cylinder weep hole, which I agree, has been discussed to death. This appears to be another weep hole...drilled in the clutch housing itself. Anybody else done this?...any pictures?...location to drill?

post #10 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Just went through the unfortunate and EXPENSIVE process of fixing a rear main seal, complete with oil contaminated clutch, and all the fixins'. I got a used clutch (complete kit) from one of the fine used part vendors on this site that appeared to meet specs, appeared dry and dusty .... with less mileage than my own.

The dealer who was doing the work installed it along with everything else and sent me on my merry way. 3 days later I was back at the dealership dropping the bike off because the clutch was slipping.

After opening the whole thing up again ..... we found there had been no installation error and the clutch appeared dry - but definitely slipped.

Of course it was nothing that about Cdn $770 in clutch and related parts -- oh yeah, and the labor cost of taking it back apart and putting it back together. Thankfully I have an AWESOME dealer (Atlantic Motoplex in Moncton) and they helped with damage control in managing the cost of mistakenly installing a used clutch.

So - a question for Jack ... how do you check a clutch for slippage without installing and running it? And a bit of advice for anyone considering reusing or installing a used part that goes as deep into the engine as a clutch does ... don't do it. Spend the extra on new parts when the thing is in pieces. It's far less costly than paying to take it apart and put it back together all over again.

One of life's little lessons I wish I had not had to learn personally
Keir
My Dear Friend,

You posed the question and then answered it yourself. As for me, I would NEVER install a used clutch...period. but, if someone demanded I did, I would certainly measure the thickness and flatness of the plate and then clean it with brake cleaner SEVERAL times and make sure it dried thoroughly before installation. But, the job is so involved that it just make sense to install NEW parts. Used parts work in many applications, but not this one...not for me.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #11 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 7:17 am

Quote:
Thanks mjordans2000. It doesn't appear that Jack is referring the slave cylinder weep hole, which I agree, has been discussed to death. This appears to be another weep hole...drilled in the clutch housing itself. Anybody else done this?...any pictures?...location to drill?

I am referring to a drain hole drilled in the bottom side of the clutch housing. As for the transmission input shaft seal, I would probably replace it on a 2002 model with only 9k miles. Why? Two reasons, (1) Age (2) You're already in there...why risk not changing it for a $10. seal? It is my conviction that MANY clutches have been ruined by that seal leaking gear oil from the tranny - which then travels through the center of the hollow shaft (just like dot 4 would), and ruins the clutch.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #12 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT-TH
Jack

Thnx for your input,, i have clutch plate as well already and that is on the work plan.
Only what i just realice that i might NOT have is inner inside seal to Boss...darn...do you have part number for that?

Weep hole is on the work plan as well.

thnx a lot

Sorry, but I do not have that part number......

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #13 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 7:20 am

Quote:

Here is a link to the thread where you will find pics and information about the size and location of the Clutch HOUSING Drain Hole.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...sing+weep+hole

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #14 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 10:52 am

Has anybody purchased this seal separately...the one Jack is referring to? I don't see it listed as an individual part...but rather part of the entire slave cylnder (or as BMW calls it...the 'Output Cylnder Clutch').

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slave.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	23037  

post #15 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 12:27 pm

the seal Jack is referring to is pictured in the first set of pictures in this thread.
post #16 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Has anybody purchased this seal separately...the one Jack is referring to? I don't see it listed as an individual part...but rather part of the entire slave cylnder (or as BMW calls it...the 'Output Cylnder Clutch').

The arrow is pointing to the "throwout" bearing in the front end of the piston. The cup seal is on the other end of the piston, and not replaceable.

I would not replace the piston seal even if it was available, as I feel one of the common causes of slave failure is the tightening or seizing of the throwout bearing, causing the piston to spin in the cylinder, a very rapid failure results when this happens. Replace the slave to get a new bearing. That little bearing spins all the time the engine is running, and takes the entire load of releasing the clutch. A wonder it lasts as long as it does normally.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #17 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The arrow is pointing to the "throwout" bearing in the front end of the piston. The cup seal is on the other end of the piston, and not replaceable.

I would not replace the piston seal even if it was available, as I feel one of the common causes of slave failure is the tightening or seizing of the throwout bearing, causing the piston to spin in the cylinder, a very rapid failure results when this happens. Replace the slave to get a new bearing. That little bearing spins all the time the engine is running, and takes the entire load of releasing the clutch. A wonder it lasts as long as it does normally.

You guys are correct. That is NOT the seal I was referring to and the Slave Cylinder should only be replaced as an entire unit. As Mike said, the seal I am referring to is the one visible in the very first picture on the thread.

Now the challenge... Every time I go to the BMW shop they have quite a time locating that seal on the microfiche. Same thing on Realoem.com. The drawings just aren't clear. Frustrating, but I would take the picture of the seal to a dealer (or email it to them) so that they get you the right one. More than once, I have returned back home with the WRONG seal. "A Picture is worth a thousand words!"

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #18 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I THINK it is number 10 on this drawing (see below):

The parts microfiche is found at www.realoem.com and you should enter the specific model and year which you own and then navigate to TRANSMISSION to see a diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LTtranny.png
Views:	162
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	23045  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #19 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT-TH
Good morning lads

As i previously have been talking that my clutch is gone and slipping, well yesterday finally we got in to it and opne Slave and this was what i found.
What is your take on this, there is tiny little drop of oil,, for my idea it means that slave is gone(have replacements already) and need to be changed, im i even close to correct?

how bad is the clutch slipping? i had a drop or two when i drilled the hole in mine,,and its been fine for three yrs now
post #20 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Clutch wasn't slipping so badly, only when i wanted to accelerate from Gear 3rd and up.
1st and 2nd gear did not slipped so badly only when or if doing agressive acceleration.
post #21 of 22 Old May 14th, 2009, 9:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

From Jack's picture there are two item 10's you need the smaller one (listed last here) The bigger one goes on the clutch end of the same shaft.

10 23121340324 shaft seal, output shaft (25X40X6) BUY 1
10 23127705085 shaft seal, drive shaft (17X28X7) BUY 1

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #22 of 22 Old May 15th, 2009, 6:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
how bad is the clutch slipping? i had a drop or two when i drilled the hole in mine,,and its been fine for three yrs now
If you've been running 3 years then you're fine. You don't notice the slip as it comes on very gradually. First if 5th gear and then 4th and then 3rd and generally only under hard acceleation. Been there two times, one for a clutch slave and once for a rear engine main seal.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in