I'm sure I joined a club of some sorts today :( - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 12th, 2009, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

I'm sure I joined a club of some sorts today :(

got home from work, backed it into the garage..

going to put it up on the center stand,.....

as I was doing so,...in super slo-mo, (and I have no idea how it happened) it slowly started going over onto the right side.. there was no stopping it, although I think I kept from going too quick..

a few...err.... ok, a lot of expletives later, I got it back up.

the left bag caught a foot peg on my DR350 causing the damage you see below:

dang, haven't even had it a month

'00 K1200 LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 12th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Cool Re: I'm sure I joined a club of some sorts today :(

Sorry to see the side case scratch, but you are now an official member of the "Dropped LT Association." You just paid your dues for life. I've seen short and tall people drop their LT's. One I recall was 6'4" and just bought his 2nd LT (had never dropped the 1st one).

As they say life happens. Once it start to go over all you can do is make it a controlled drop. If you physically try to save it once it's passed the point of no return all you will do is hurt yourself. The doctor or chiropractor bills will generally far out weigh the damage to the bike.

Don't be discourage, there will come a time where you think you'll never drop it again. Thats the time to be on guard the most. Each time I've done it during my bike 6-year life, I never saw it coming. I tends to happen when your distracted from the issue at hand.

You will quickly forget about the damage once its fixed and love the bike for all its incredible attributes. My best friends rationalization of the event is: They purposely make jet fighters unstable, that's why they perform so well.

Now that you got your 1st scratch you can ride it like the designers intended =8>)
post #3 of 14 Old May 12th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Re: I'm sure I joined a club of some sorts today :(

Opps.. Sh** Happens when you least expect it.. time for a BIG sticker I think..
Bad news when you’ve only had her a short time,

If you feel bad about it, think how bad you would feel if you returned to a car park to find she had been knocked over by a car driver and they drove off and no one seen anything.. happened to me a long time ago with a Honda CB400

Note; always try to park in view of a cctv now that thay are everywhere

post #4 of 14 Old May 12th, 2009, 9:22 pm

or how about the real worry... the errant shopping cart at the big box store.

you parked it 300 yards away so no one would dare park near the bike..
You calmly walk out with you new shammies to clean the girl... towards your walk to her,,, you notice.. a PAIR of shopping carts slowly making their way carried by the wind, its motion started by some person in a hybrid vehicle with a
"save the killer whale forests in antartica" sticker on the back (made with recycled glue from vegetarian horses)

you mind goes.. no way.. its trajectories of the shopping carts.. going left and right.. but still towards the bike...clickety clack goes the wheels, you run.. run harder than you have in years- "why didnt I work out on this month... You come up on one cart... and kick it out of the way SLAMM into the asphalt it goes... but alas the final missle back and forth its going faster now.
You cry OUT but she does not hear you...
The impact scratches the girl and shakes her being.. a wobble.. as the cart now is stopped.. its run completed.. mission accomplished...

The cart standing.. without emotion..as my emotions have peaked. I see the Bayou.. it has water...
With strengths internally mustered The cart is now over my head... And I toss with all my being.. It hurls mightily towards the bayou...
OK so it went to the curb.. I run to it and kick it once again.. DIE you freewheeling wrecking machine!

I get on the girl and with a calm after the storm, I crank her and off we go back home where a nice bubbly bath and wax awaits...

WHy me?

This is the second time in two years a wild cart has taken target at my rides....

well, it was better than the time I dropped her....

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old May 12th, 2009, 9:28 pm

You are now a member of the D.A. Club of LT owners. Of course, D.A. stands for Droppers Anonymous....

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 14 Old May 12th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Red, breaks my heart to see the scratch. I've had mine for 3 weeks and had to watch it go over onto a soft surface while on a 500 mile ride! Think of the mortification I felt when the very nice couple on the GoldWing turned around and came back to the scene of the "accident" to see if we were all right. Yeah, just fine, and thanks for coming back to check. By this time I had it back up in a three point stance.

Then the gentleman absolutely made my day when he said "I know how you feel. I've dropped this thing (the Wing) four times". And with a flick of the wrist and a wave of the hand they rode off.

Nice couple!

The best part of this whole situation is that the wait is over. She's been down once and hopefully will never feel obligated to repeat the process.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; May 12th, 2009 at 11:41 pm.
post #7 of 14 Old May 13th, 2009, 8:37 am

I don't know if I qualify for dropped LT but this is my story. I purchased a new 2009 LT last Nov. The day finally arrived for me to travel with a friend to the dealership and take delievery of the bike. When I arrived the bike was in the show room looking like a shiny new stallion just waiting for someone to ride her. As I was preparing the paperwork the dealership owner was rolling her outside. He parked her on a slight downhill slope and put the kickstand down. As I was walking to my car to get some gear I hear a sickening crunch behind me. I turned around and saw my LT on its side. I had never even cranked the engine or rode it yet, but there she lay, on her side. The dealer and a few of the shop folks quickly ran to her aid and righted the ship. The dealer was very apologetic and embarassed. He forgot and left the bike in neutral so the slight slope downhill won over the kickstand.
There was some minor damage and scratches to which the dealer ordered all new parts to replace. Even if it was only a very minor scratch, he replaced it. He was very accomodating through the entire process and fixed the bike like new again.
So, I ride with the comfort that she has already been down and that worry is behind me!

Ken
post #8 of 14 Old May 13th, 2009, 11:31 am

This happened to me. I was in high school taking Calculus II at a state university. Since I arrived at the commuter campus of 17,000 later in the day (since I still was in high school) I usually rode my Yamaha 400. The approved M/C parking was the lined off triangles at the end of the aisles. That gave me up close parking, even at 1 in the afternoon. So, we are sitting there find the area under the curve, again, and a girl walks in and gives a note to the professor, who in turn gave it to me. The note said "Motorcycle driven over, come to parking lot".

I pack up my stuff and go out. There are the cops, my bike standing upright, and a car in the grass. Here's what happened, another student was backing out of his slot, realized he had no brakes, and just started rolling backwards. Backed over a handicapped sign, puncturing the gas tank in the process, and just barely nicked my rear turn signal, sending the bike on its side, and the car continued rolling into the grass, where the rest of his gasoline emptied.

The kid said he didn't want to involve his insurance, so just get a quote and he would pay it. I stopped a the shop on the way home, broken turn signal, scratched trunk, damaged grip. Dealer quote, about $500. Got home and called the guy and he found out that his car was much more damaged than he though, and just to turn it into insurance. Got a check a few days later. Turn signal off a wrecked bike, $28 and a new set of hand grips $8, and $460 in bar money to wash away the sorrows about the scratch.

On an unrelated note, I don't think grass ever grew in that spot again.

Regards,
Larry

'99 K1200LT

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
post #9 of 14 Old May 13th, 2009, 1:08 pm

With every new bike I wonder when the day will come. It always does. I have a similar scratch without the dent on the front faring. I have dropped every bike I have owned once and twice for the Harley. Luckily in my case and yours we weren't driving down the road at the time. See if a good body shop can bondo it and paint it for you or bite the bullet and spend the big bucks at the BMW store for a new cover. Or, do what I do and don't look at that part of the bike.
post #10 of 14 Old May 13th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Wink Re: I'm sure I joined a club of some sorts today :(

Or try Tony at LTParts.com or Beemerboneyard to see if they have one for much less than the dealer would want! And if neither one of them can help you, drop us a PM, cause I do believe we have a Champagne saddlebag cover that is in better shape than that one!

And they don't hurt as much after that first one! DAMHIK!!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
With every new bike I wonder when the day will come. It always does. I have a similar scratch without the dent on the front faring. I have dropped every bike I have owned once and twice for the Harley. Luckily in my case and yours we weren't driving down the road at the time. See if a good body shop can bondo it and paint it for you or bite the bullet and spend the big bucks at the BMW store for a new cover. Or, do what I do and don't look at that part of the bike.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 14 Old May 14th, 2009, 10:59 am

Sorry to see your minor damage was not confined to the little plastic baby buggy bumper things BMW places on the side of the LT for just this reason.

When I started riding again in 2005 (after 30 years away), I bought a pristine 2003 LT with only 1888 miles on it. Hardly ridden and never dropped. I dropped it 3 times in the year I owned it. Discouraged, I "down-sized" to a RT for the next 2 years, then came back to the LT and took the top case off. I replaced it with a Ft. Worth rack. My LT doesn't feel quite as top heavy now and I love it.

When I was searching for another LT, I made sure to buy one that had already been dropped on both sides (more common than not). That way, I didn't worry about putting a scratch on it. Already done. In fact, they probably ought to just drop them on their sides at the factory and get it over with. I've had the 2002 LT since last October and haven't dropped it yet.

Don't get discouraged. Try a Ft. Worth rack for a while. That top case weighs about 30 lbs empty and its tall weight.

Ron
post #12 of 14 Old May 14th, 2009, 12:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've dropped mine too but my best story is about someone else. Many years ago one of my co-workers wanted a Harley REALLY BAD. He wanted one so bad that he settled for a second-hand hard-tail turd. The good part of the story is that he borrowed a license tag from another co-worker to get his new prize home and made it all the way to the end of the driveway before the crash which damaged not only the Harley but the borrowed personalized tag too. In fact it pretty much folded the tag in half. Interesting that he chose to share that story with his co-workers. Some stories become instant legend.

post #13 of 14 Old May 15th, 2009, 1:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by haughty
or how about the real worry... the errant shopping cart at the big box store.

you parked it 300 yards away so no one would dare park near the bike..
You calmly walk out with you new shammies to clean the girl... towards your walk to her,,, you notice.. a PAIR of shopping carts slowly making their way carried by the wind, its motion started by some person in a hybrid vehicle with a
"save the killer whale forests in antartica" sticker on the back (made with recycled glue from vegetarian horses)

you mind goes.. no way.. its trajectories of the shopping carts.. going left and right.. but still towards the bike...clickety clack goes the wheels, you run.. run harder than you have in years- "why didnt I work out on this month... You come up on one cart... and kick it out of the way SLAMM into the asphalt it goes... but alas the final missle back and forth its going faster now.
You cry OUT but she does not hear you...
The impact scratches the girl and shakes her being.. a wobble.. as the cart now is stopped.. its run completed.. mission accomplished...

The cart standing.. without emotion..as my emotions have peaked. I see the Bayou.. it has water...
With strengths internally mustered The cart is now over my head... And I toss with all my being.. It hurls mightily towards the bayou...
OK so it went to the curb.. I run to it and kick it once again.. DIE you freewheeling wrecking machine!

I get on the girl and with a calm after the storm, I crank her and off we go back home where a nice bubbly bath and wax awaits...

WHy me?

This is the second time in two years a wild cart has taken target at my rides....

well, it was better than the time I dropped her....
Wow! That was pretty good. Have you ever considered writing? I was really getting into it when it ended.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 14 Old May 15th, 2009, 7:59 am

Rest assured that you are among people who have been there, done that! Mine happened about the second week of ownership. I rolled the LT out of the garage and parked it on the approach in front of the garage. Also at this point of ownership I had not discovered this forum and all of it's wisdom. So, I parked her down hill in neutral. I forgot my sunglasses and walked around the side of the house to go and get back into the garage. On my return a whirlwind came through just as I am walking around the corner. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I get the pleasure of watching my Luxury Touring BMW that is flawless roll forward and fall to earth! SOB! I picked her up and learned that was no easy feat. Bent crash guard and scuffed chrome on saddle bag. I had not put my J-pegs on yet so that fixed my bent guard. Ordered a new chrome strip for saddle bag and all was good in my motorcycle world.

KENT
05 R1200GS
06 blue K1200lt
93 XR650L
97 KLR250
00 gs1200s bandit (sold)
94 ST1100 (sold)
70 CB350 (restoration project)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in