I found out I am a whiny baby today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 12th, 2009, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

I found out I am a whiny baby today

So I b*tched and moaned about doing the routine maintenance on the LT. I dreaded pulling it apart as I remember the last time was not that easy. I whined and cried about how difficult it was to work on this bike.

Big baby that I am I never dreamed it might be (gasp!) easy.

Pulling everything off by myself took about 1.5 hours. Changing the coolant (the cause of this exercise) took about 20 minutes. It might have taken 15 if I hadn't spilled most of the coolant everywhere in my garage. (Good thing I am not responsible for nuclear waste - half of Colorado would be dead ).

Any way, this was easy enough that I decided I want to keep the LT. I really hated doing the first round of maintenance, but it is much easier the second time. I was going to sell her but now, no way!

While I have her naked I though I would do the quick fuel release valves and even take a stab at drilling the weep hole.

Any other thoughts on what I should do? I don't need to button her up for a while - the Honda is serving as my primary bike for a while. I would really like to get most everything done now for the year.

Are the DVD's that Beemer Bone Yard sells any good? It seems to me they have one on bleeding the brakes.

EDIT: And I found out that I can fat finger "Whiny" too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 12th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Re: I found out I am a whiny baby today

Naked?
How naked? If you changed the coolant, it sound like you just slid her pants off; the engine spoiler, that is. Oh well, I see where this is going. Enough kidding.

If you're not in a hurry, order some fuel line QD's and do that, too. When I changed mine last month, there was so much tugging on the fuel lines that I just went ahead and pulled the fuel tank. That involves unbuttoning her top and... (Good Gosh! What am I thinking!?) Anyway, you'll need to remove the fairing for that little chore.

While you have the engine spoiler off, you could change the spark plugs. Go to the BMW dealer and pay 9 bucks each for Bosch plugs. Or, order some Splitfire TP416D. If you don't want to pay shipping and waiting, then get some NGK 3932 plugs from the auto parts store for $2.25 each. That's what I use.

If you still have the urge to feel around her rear, pull the right rear panel to expose the brake fluid reservoir. If it is low, then the ABS light blinks. Get a plastic syringe from the drug store to carefully put the DOT 4 brake fluid in.

That's about all I can think of, just offhand. Search this sight for weep hole drilling instructions. Lotsa good info.

Hey, shouldn't you be riding that thing instead of wrenching? It went from 45 yesterday to 90 today in Amarillo, so northern Colorado should be improving. Hope I can make the Ft. Collins Brewfest in late June.

Speak up if you have any problems with the bike work.

Dave
post #3 of 5 Old May 12th, 2009, 7:01 pm

I got really lucky when I bought my '01 LT. It came with 2 dvd's which contain the 4 video tapes done by Sayegh. I watched most of the first one and it was VERY complete covering oil changes, tupperware removal, etc. I just ordered my pneumatic lift yesterday and armed with the video, the aftermarket repair manual, the factory manual on cd, and the lift I am looking forward to doing some service!

The 12K service should come up next month as I just turned 10K yesterday!

Have fun with your service! Glad you're going to keep her!

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 5 Old May 12th, 2009, 7:03 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yep me too.

Good way to describe it.

Still need to do brake/clutch/coolant myself, then I think I got it covered.

The more you do the procedures, the less daunting they become. I enjoy it even when I do something stupid and need to ask here for help and advice.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 5 Old May 12th, 2009, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

She is pretty naked - tank off and all tupperware but the bags and trunk. The more I work around her the easier this gets. Shhhh, don't tell my wife. No telling what she will make me do with the old "It go easier with the BMW" line.

Now, since I am on a roll I also decided I am going to do the canisterectomy. The line running down the brake-pedal side is the line to route down, right? I just plug the other one? If so, is it good to pull the lines at the little connectors right under the passenger seat? I noticed little connectors right there. It looks a whole lot easier than trying to get to the canister under the trunk (I know, take off the trunk......)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in