my new bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

my new bike

I went and did it. I just got my new LT home last night after putting some miles on it. Traded in the RT (with a tear), but now the wife will be happy with the heated seats and comfy backrest.

Lots of gizmos. It's an '06 with the V.O.I.C.E. kit, alarm and motorad nav II all installed. The only option missing seems to be the side impact airbags. Lots of new stuf to figger out.

This thing is heavy! Feels like I'm starting over learning the slow turns and trying to stop as smooth as I was used to on the RT. I'm sure I'll get it all down in time.

We'll be breaking it in this week and taking it up to DVDaze next weekend. Keep an eye out for the wobbly stopper at Furnace Creek, and if you see me in the parking lot trying to pick it back up, feel free to stop over and lend a hand, or at least tell me why I shouldn't have let it fall over.

Many miles to go...

Rich

should I change my handle now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_COOP
I went and did it. I just got my new LT home last night after putting some miles on it. Traded in the RT (with a tear), but now the wife will be happy with the heated seats and comfy backrest.

And ya know what they say....
"If mama's not happy, no one's happy!!!"

Congrats on the new purchase! It IS a heavy sucker but it's worth its weight in gold....Enjoy!
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:29 pm

Hey Rich, - Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing you and your new ride at DVD. If all goes well I'll be on my new GS.
The HDDC has about 13 or so going from Sacramento and Napa, should be there before dark on Friday.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 7:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Rich: great I think you well enjoy it. I don't know how you and Lindy put your stiff in the other bike. See you Friday Jim
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:12 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriverside
I don't know how you and Lindy put your stiff in the other bike.
Errr......there's space enough for a stiff in there? Just wondering....
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Considering the amount of off-road excursions the HDDC has taken already, it's probably good that some of you are getting GS bikes.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:30 pm

Congrats!

Wow.. sounds like a beautiful upgrade!

Once my wife rode the LT she said.. Oh, I know what the LT stands for... "Ladies' Transportation"... she was referring to the proper Passenger's seat, backrest and heating.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:15 pm
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Talking Good Luck with it...

Rich,

Wow what a switch... I always thought you were an RT kind of guy.

Congratulations on your new steed. Good luck with it.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:21 pm

Rich

Congrats on the purchase. I too just stepped up to a new 06 LT after xmas. Yep Santa gave me a nother lump of coal again so I had to turn in the RT and make the switch to the LT. I have been riding with a friend who has a 05 LT but never drove it. Got a wild hair after xmas to test drive the new 1200 RT and the LT. Test drove the LT with the wife in Santa Fe. And that was it...... We travel 95% of the time 2 up. I do have a GS friend who askes me how the wine cooler & built in sink works on the bike. (think thats why it feels heavy) Took our first trip to Tucson from Albuquerque last weekend. 23 degrees to start out and by the time we made Tucson it was 75..... The heated seat/grips are the best. The wife loves it.....If I see you on the side of the road tipped over I will stop to help give you the big heav-ho to get the beast on two wheels. Good luck.....
ps if you are in Tucson the Iron Horse BMW is a great place to stop in.

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #10 of 21 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:01 am

Did you get the fastest gold color? Congratulations! See you at DVD

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #11 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:29 am

Set the rear suspension like this!

Rich,
The Owners manual says with a passenger and gear to set the rear to full height. Don't do it!!!! Turn the rear suspension to full soft--all the way down. As you crank it up with bike on the center stand you will reach a point where you start to get resistance. I don't know about the '06 models but my '05 clicks every half turn and the point I fell resistance is between 4 and 5 clicks. For solo use I always use 5 clicks and if loaded while solo may go up one click. Now pay attention, with a passeneger start with three addl. clicks past your solo position as a starting point. If you get too much wallow coning to a stop add one click (1/2 turn) at a time. IMHO if set to high the bike do not handle better just faster (read twitchy).
When set right these bikes are very stable loaded and by using the lower suspension setting damping is actually increased and you will gain a little control. Also when set right and fully loaded the steering slows down and it feels like you could lay back and peel an apple while riding--very stable.
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 6:39 pm

A bit of advice...

I have an 05 and my wife is heavy. Mount and dismount using the center stand. You'll have no problems...

Enjoy!!

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Becker
Rich,

Wow what a switch... I always thought you were an RT kind of guy.
Did it show? Well, Lindy thinks she's an LT kinda girl, so, I'm working on an identity change. I got stuck on the coast highway today in a sig-alert condition, so I had plenty of stopping and hefting practice.
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

suspension settings

thanks, rattso, I'll set it up tonight for tomorrow's commute.
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

mount/dismount

I'm already wearing out that power center-stand.
How are people parking this thing without it? I know, it's what you're used to. I'm sure getting used to this.
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
Did you get the fastest gold color? Congratulations! See you at DVD
Look for the grey/blue one with no license plate.
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:05 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
A bit of advice...

I have an 05 and my wife is heavy. Mount and dismount using the center stand. You'll have no problems...

Enjoy!!
Does your wife ever read these posts?
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:12 am

Congrats on the new LT. I've had mine 6 months and its been just wonderfully.
I haven't had any issues with low speed handling but then again my last bike was a clc and that bike had some issues with low speed handling.
Just take your time to adjust to the Lt and you'll be just fine.
Good luck, enjoy, and ride safe.
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:32 am

Thumbs up

Let me add my good wishes and congrats on your new LT. It IS a heavy bike; that's the reason they have a reverse gear and power center stand. Us them, and you'll find that the bike feels substantially lighter.

I wouldn't trade mine for the world!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #20 of 21 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:50 am

Congratulations on your new bike, my wife was the deciding factor to get the LT, but I actually like commuting on it instead of the Sprint ST, I ride too fast on the Sprint, and the heated grips and seat make it comfy. Enjoy and be safe.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:54 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_COOP
I'm already wearing out that power center-stand.
How are people parking this thing without it? I know, it's what you're used to. I'm sure getting used to this.
Howdy Rich,

Congratulations on the new Luxury Touring bike! It is a truly accurate description.

In re your center stand comments: For those with '04's and earlier, if the rear shocks and springs are in good shape, better if Ohlins/Wilburs, then many of the taller riders should, with some practice, be able to hoist onto the center stand while straddling the bike.

Those riders with good leg strength may be able to hoist it up loaded and two-up.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in