Linked Brakes 09 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 10th, 2009, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Linked Brakes 09 LT

I had an 05 RT and the brakes were linked. I bought an 09LT and are the brakes linked like the 05 were. I do not think so.

IBA #34229
09 LT
05 RT 65000 miles sold
2 FD Dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 11th, 2009, 6:50 am

Re: Linked Brakes 09 LT

Link from Similar Threads:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12098

Should help.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #3 of 9 Old May 11th, 2009, 8:39 pm

There is a big difference between the brakes on the LT and the RT. I .have owned both. On the RT when you apply the rear brake at moderate to slow speeds it does not engage the front brake. This is a big factor in better slow speed handling.

The LT has a big problem in that engaging the rear brake even at slow speeds causes the front brake to be engaged and this (in addition to the high center of gravity) is a real detriment to slow speed handling.

post #4 of 9 Old May 11th, 2009, 8:58 pm

We discuss integrated, linked, and ABS brake systems during BRCs and I find it curious how many people don't know what kind of brakes they have (given they have a bike at home, waiting for a ride after the BRC). We also teach to slow/stop using BOTH brakes due to "some" pressure being applied to the unapplied front/rear brake with integrated and linked systems.

Do those of you with the integrated brake systems use both brakes (lever/pedal) to stop or do your braking habits only include one or the other?

Not a flame, just a serious question.
Thanks,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #5 of 9 Old May 11th, 2009, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
We discuss integrated, linked, and ABS brake systems during BRCs and I find it curious how many people don't know what kind of brakes they have (given they have a bike at home, waiting for a ride after the BRC). We also teach to slow/stop using BOTH brakes due to "some" pressure being applied to the unapplied front/rear brake with integrated and linked systems.

Do those of you with the integrated brake systems use both brakes (lever/pedal) to stop or do your braking habits only include one or the other?

Not a flame, just a serious question.
Thanks,
Curt
I bought the bike 01/15/09 and have ridden the bike 7500 miles. The brakes just feel so different then the RT. I guess I just need to take the bike of a ride and figure it out. Especially scene the bike is just sitting at home. Thanks

IBA #34229
09 LT
05 RT 65000 miles sold
2 FD Dead
post #6 of 9 Old May 12th, 2009, 3:02 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The linked brakes ARE biased to the rear by rear and front by front but it has nothing to do with speed. If you apply light pressure to the rear you get only rear and likewise the fronts. Anything above that "light" pressure and you get both brakes.

I get rear squeal if I stop with rear brake and I don't get squeal if I only use the front. I don't have a good definition of what I mean by "Light application" but you can determine it yourself with practise.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old May 12th, 2009, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The linked brakes ARE biased to the rear by rear and front by front but it has nothing to do with speed. If you apply light pressure to the rear you get only rear and likewise the fronts. Anything above that "light" pressure and you get both brakes.

I get rear squeal if I stop with rear brake and I don't get squeal if I only use the front. I don't have a good definition of what I mean by "Light application" but you can determine it yourself with practise.
Thank you

IBA #34229
09 LT
05 RT 65000 miles sold
2 FD Dead
post #8 of 9 Old May 12th, 2009, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

On three bikes that I have helped bleed the brakes on all of which where 02 or 03 model years. Applying either brake to the point the servo assist activates applys pressure to both wheels. Not sure how much pressure front to rear but enough to pump the fluid through when doing brake flush procedure.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #9 of 9 Old May 12th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
On three bikes that I have helped bleed the brakes on all of which where 02 or 03 model years. Applying either brake to the point the servo assist activates applys pressure to both wheels. Not sure how much pressure front to rear but enough to pump the fluid through when doing brake flush procedure.

Roy
True, when flushing you can get fluid flow from either caliper with an input from either brake. I usually just use the rear pedal when flushing both front and rear. You will notice increased flow with harder application. The small amount of risidual pressure is not enough to activate the brake since the pumps start running before you really apply any braking force.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in