I would like some feed back from those who have used Beemer Boneyard 10W-50 synthetic - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 10th, 2009, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Arrow I would like some feed back from those who have used Beemer Boneyard 10W-50 synthetic

I would like some feed back from those of you who are useing the Beemer Bone Yard 10W-50 synthetic oil. The oil change kit (5 liter jug of high quality German Liqui-Moly Racing 4T Synthenthetic 10W-50 engine oil plus a Bosch K-bike oil filter, drain bolt crush washer and filter door O-ring) is now on sale for $58.99.

I am concerned about the oil weight. I live in San Antonio TX and do most of my travels between Arizona and Florida so no really cold winter temperature.

Some feedback I am sure will be forthcoming. Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 10th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Re: I would like some feed back from those who have used Beemer Boneyard 10W-50 synthetic

Which part of the weight concerns you? The 10 or the 50? Neither concerns me, as I use a 5-50. Some will argue that 5 is too light, but remember that viscosity will change even in ambient temperatures. In other words, on a 90 degree day, it's more than a 5 weight. And I do tend to like the lighter starting weight on startup. I know it's getting through the engine quickly. Although I don't know the specifics of this particular oil, it sounds like they're using moly, which offers a great boundary lubricant. That boundary lubricant is what you're depending on at cold start and heavy shock loading - like hammering the throttle.
Of more concern is the manner in which the oil mfg. obtains the weight difference. Usually it's through polymers, which can shear out after time. Only oil analysis can determine the amount of shearing, and the time dictated between changes.
Also of concern should be the film thickness and strength. Even a light oil with superior film strength will out perform a heavier oil with an inferior film.
Last, the 50? General rule of thumb, heavier is always better until you lose lubrication. Fifty should be fine.
Bet THAT cleared it up for ya, huh?
post #3 of 11 Old May 10th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Re: I would like some feed back from those who have used Beemer Boneyard 10W-50 synthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
I live in San Antonio TX
So..... how come we've never met you?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old May 10th, 2009, 5:02 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: I would like some feed back from those who have used Beemer Boneyard 10W-50 synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 11 Old May 10th, 2009, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

I have been in Schertz TX since 2004. I gave up my 95 Kawasaki Concours and started riding my R1100RT back in 2005. I flew out to Phoenix a few months ago with a one way ticket, picked up a nice low milage LT and rode it back.

I realized after doing some in depth internet research of the bike that the LT was not like my old kawasaki Concours or my RT. The LT is a fantastic bike but it is like a Ferrari....it is a great ride but you need to be more involved with the bike to keep it at it at it's maximum potential. That is when I found this web site.

I am sure we have seen each other in the hill country. Is there a club or group in the area that does some planed trips. It would be good to meet with some LT riders who have some substantial miles under their belts to get some insider LT info??? Now that I am retired I have more bike time.

Last edited by SteveL; May 10th, 2009 at 8:46 pm.
post #6 of 11 Old May 11th, 2009, 9:40 am

Keep your eye out on the South Central section and look for the June RTE. Make plans now. Then you will get to meet some great folks...and maybe Jerry.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 11 Old May 11th, 2009, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Keep your eye out on the South Central section and look for the June RTE. Make plans now. Then you will get to meet some great folks...and maybe Jerry.
Not to mention Stevie. I think the chances of meeting Gina are nada unless we hold one in Dallas

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 11 Old May 11th, 2009, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
That's the scary part of any of the South Central RTEs.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 11 Old May 11th, 2009, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Jerry's in disguise now. Clean shaven. Rides the ghost Ultra. There's a lot to be afraid of. But at least he has cool ring tones and alarms on his blackberry.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #10 of 11 Old May 11th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Jerry's in disguise now. Clean shaven. Rides the ghost Ultra. There's a lot to be afraid of. But at least he has cool ring tones and alarms on his blackberry.
Oh puhleez!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 11 Old May 12th, 2009, 8:59 am

[QUOTE=SteveL]I would like some feed back from those of you who are useing the Beemer Bone Yard 10W-50 synthetic oil. The oil change kit (5 liter jug of high quality German Liqui-Moly Racing 4T Synthenthetic 10W-50 engine oil plus a Bosch K-bike oil filter, drain bolt crush washer and filter door O-ring) is now on sale for $58.99.
[QUOTE]

I bought their 12K kit and I am very please with it. I am using the 10-50 oil you mention but only have a few hundred miles on it. It meets BMW's ratings so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in