LT trapped in underground garage flood - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 9th, 2009, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy LT trapped in underground garage flood

I had my LT parked in an underground garage at a condo complex. The main water line to the building burst during the night and the underground garage flooded - and remained flooded for about 18 hours. The water is out now and I had a chance to check on my LT. I can see the water line mark all along the side of the bike. The LT was sitting in about 13 inches of water for about 18 hours.

What are the recommended next steps to ensure there is no damage to the bike?

Pitons98

2006 K1200LT Storm Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 9th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Just ridin'

Re: LT trapped in underground garage flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitons98
I had my LT parked in an underground garage at a condo complex. The main water line to the building burst during the night and the underground garage flooded - and remained flooded for about 18 hours. The water is out now and I had a chance to check on my LT. I can see the water line mark all along the side of the bike. The LT was sitting in about 13 inches of water for about 18 hours.

What are the recommended next steps to ensure there is no damage to the bike?

Pitons98
The engine and transmission *should* be OK. I would probably drain and flush the rear drive and remove the front wheel and check the front wheel bearings.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old May 9th, 2009, 6:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

13 inches of water isn't too bad. +1 on draining and flushing the read drive and front wheel bearing if the water was even with the seal. Also check the rear break pads for debris intrusion.

post #4 of 12 Old May 9th, 2009, 7:34 pm

I'd have everything in the lower end gone through...replace all the fluids and have all the bearings repacked with a thorough cleaning.

don't forget to have their insurance company cover it.

'00 K1200 LTC
post #5 of 12 Old May 9th, 2009, 8:55 pm

I would have ALL fluids changed; engine oil, trans just to take the proper precautions. Wouldn't hurt to have the brake fluid and clutch fluid changed as well since the DOT 4 loves water. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

My dad took my John Deere diesel swimming in the pond one day and you would be surprised at where water can end up. Admittedly, your LT sat in 18 inches of water and my beloved green tractor swam out to the deep end of the pond and then took up scuba diving; but the moral would be to not take chances.
post #6 of 12 Old May 10th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Exclamation Re: LT trapped in underground garage flood

I am assuming that your buildings insurance is going to cover any issues so I would go for The Full Monty. There may very well be second and third echelon effects from submerging the bike you may not be aware of for mouths or even a year. Although the bike shows sign of how high the water was the water "may" have, for a short temporary period, gotten a few inches deeper.

I had a car submerged in some local flooding once. The water only looked as if it was about 14" deep so the insurance company did their thing. The water was a bit deeper and there were other unseen issues later. I settled with my insurance company quickly....what a mistake. The last thing you want is to find out a year from now you missed something after the settlement.

I would have your dealer change engine and transmission oil. I would also have them change the rear dif oil and repack any and everything with the front and rear wheel as well as redoing any and everything with the swing arm and driveshaft. I would also change front and rear brake fluid.
You need peace of mind, you did not cause this so get it done right. Steve

Last edited by SteveL; May 10th, 2009 at 1:08 pm.
post #7 of 12 Old May 10th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Don't over look the igniter its open the air and water.

DON
post #8 of 12 Old May 10th, 2009, 4:28 pm

NEW wheel bearings. You can't just look inside a sealed bearing...besides, if you're going that far in, might as well....NEW! Also, I'd like to see the brake calipers rebuilt with new seals....there's water trapped behind the dust seals, between the dust seals and the hydraulic seals....GREAT way to ruin some calipers...Damn it man! It's RIDING SEASON when this happens, I feel your pain!
post #9 of 12 Old May 11th, 2009, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll have everything checked out at the service shop.

Pitons98

2006 K1200LT Storm Grey
post #10 of 12 Old May 11th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Don't exactly know where water depth was...

But...

I think you are looking at Alternator, starter, relays, etc... at a minimum.... then flushing engine and gear box, etc... then you will have issues with ABS, etc..

To me, it's a total loss.

The only thing I'd accept is replace of all fluids, wiring, alternator, starter, ignition, engine control, ABS, etc, etc... along with an extended 3 year, TRANSFERRABLE warranty.../guarantee in writing for repairs including labor... and loss of use.
post #11 of 12 Old May 11th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
I would have ALL fluids changed; engine oil, trans just to take the proper precautions. Wouldn't hurt to have the brake fluid and clutch fluid changed as well since the DOT 4 loves water. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

My dad took my John Deere diesel swimming in the pond one day and you would be surprised at where water can end up. Admittedly, your LT sat in 18 inches of water and my beloved green tractor swam out to the deep end of the pond and then took up scuba diving; but the moral would be to not take chances.

Man, I HAVE to hear the story behind this one!!!! "then took up scuba diving"... PRICELESS!!!!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #12 of 12 Old May 11th, 2009, 6:30 pm

How close is 13" of water to running into the exhaust a filling-up a cylinder with water? I dunno but hydro lock will bust some stuff when you try to start it.

If in doubt, remove the spark plugs before you motor it over.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in