I miss Her - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

I miss Her

I had Back Surgery and have not been able to ride my bike and probably wont be able to for another 5 or 6 months....thats right no riding over the summer for me...

I have been reading my BMW ON Magazine and reading the Boards and that makes me miss her More...i walk out to the Garage just to look at her and stare and cant believe i can not ride her....

What can i do to forget about her for a few months until I am able to get back on her and put a smile back on my face?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Re: I miss Her

Were it me, I would seriously consider a medically induced coma!
post #3 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
+1

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
If only I could.....

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #5 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Garage

You're in California, it should be almost summer there.

Go out and rent a small convertible for the next 3-4 months, that would fit for a short while

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #6 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
You're in California, it should be almost summer there.

Go out and rent a small convertible for the next 3-4 months, that would fit for a short while
Thats a good Idea ...but do you think i would look silly wearing my Helmet while doing this

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #7 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
Thats a good Idea ...but do you think i would look silly wearing my Helmet while doing this

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #8 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 8:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Not in California.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 8:49 pm

What kind of surgery did you have? I had artificial disc replacement (charite) in Dec 06 on my L-5 S-1. I am back to playing basketball and fourwheeling and feel great. Before the surgery I was in an awful way. Good luck and hope you have a speedy recover. Based on the timeframe you gave I would guess fusion?

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #10 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 12:39 am

[QUOTE=Based on the timeframe you gave I would guess fusion?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more of those cheap bastards...Blue Cross

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #11 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
What kind of surgery did you have? I had artificial disc replacement (charite) in Dec 06 on my L-5 S-1. I am back to playing basketball and fourwheeling and feel great. Before the surgery I was in an awful way. Good luck and hope you have a speedy recover. Based on the timeframe you gave I would guess fusion?
Yes A Spinal Fusion of the L4,L5,S1

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

Last edited by woodey; May 10th, 2009 at 11:37 am.
post #12 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 10:17 am

Wood-
If it helps any, I am having surgery in the morning to remove a portion of my colon. No riding for me either. But after I heal, it's go time.

"Getting old isn't for sissy's".

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #13 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 10:56 am

Talking Re: I miss Her

Had hip replacement surgery MAr 31st. Going into my 6th week now and am really depressed.
Only solution for me is to put on helmet and go out to the garage and stroke her(LT) a couple of times, close my eyes and visualize myself through a couple of twisties. Also projecting and planning my summer sojurn of 4 corners.
Not really a cure all but it does help me..
Aloha, R.
post #14 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdavey
Wood-
If it helps any, I am having surgery in the morning to remove a portion of my colon. No riding for me either. But after I heal, it's go time.

ouch good luck with that and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #15 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwusmc
Had hip replacement surgery MAr 31st. Going into my 6th week now and am really depressed.
Only solution for me is to put on helmet and go out to the garage and stroke her(LT) a couple of times, close my eyes and visualize myself through a couple of twisties. Also projecting and planning my summer sojurn of 4 corners.
Not really a cure all but it does help me..
Aloha, R.
When do you get to take this ride? I hope it is this Summer

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #16 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 1:06 pm

go out to the garage and stroke her

Hey big guy, it's yours, you just stroke it all you need to and as often as you want.

Oh come on, you knew THAT was coming
post #17 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 1:44 pm

About the convertible...no joking, I just bought a 2004 Audi A4 convertible and it is SO much fun. In some ways, I actually enjoy cruising in it more than on my bike. No gear required...you get LOTS more sun...a better view of the surrounding terrain than through the opening of a full-face helmet. if it rains....just stop, push a button and your dry! Honestly...it's a BLAST!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #18 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdavey
Wood-

I hope you have a fast recovery! Will say a prayer for you.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #19 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 2:17 pm

+1 on the medically induced coma, had shoulder surgery and was down for 8 weeks and that almost killed me.
post #20 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 2:28 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
The way California goes, helmet use in convertibles may be required in the future.

If it saves even one life.....

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #21 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
About the convertible...no joking, I just bought a 2004 Audi A4 convertible and it is SO much fun. In some ways, I actually enjoy cruising in it more than on my bike. No gear required...you get LOTS more sun...a better view of the surrounding terrain than through the opening of a full-face helmet. if it rains....just stop, push a button and your dry! Honestly...it's a BLAST!!!!!
No way, Pastor Jack !

I had so much fun when I borrowed my bosses BMW 330i MSport (245HP of fun) and drove it for a whole sunny weekend. But I had to queue on the way to the lakeside and on the way back... yes I was relaxed but still lost one good hour that I could have spent better if I was with my LT

The only REAL advantage of the convertible against the LT was that we could travel with my 8 y.o. son who is normally not following as we ride... but it won't be long before he does (see attached pics!! Second off-road session just completed yesterday)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motocross II (4).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	22979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motocross II.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	22980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motocross II (7).JPG
Views:	33
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	22981  

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #22 of 42 Old May 10th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Quote:
"....have not been able to ride my bike and probably wont be able to for another 5 or 6 months...."
Just a usual winter in Chicago......

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #23 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 7:54 am

Quote:
I had Back Surgery and have not been able to ride my bike and probably wont be able to for another 5 or 6 months....thats right no riding over the summer for me...

I have been reading my BMW ON Magazine and reading the Boards and that makes me miss her More...i walk out to the Garage just to look at her and stare and cant believe i can not ride her....

What can i do to forget about her for a few months until I am able to get back on her and put a smile back on my face?
I was in a bad accident and wasn't able to ride for a couple years at all, it took time to be able to get back used to riding after that,

The time will pass faster than you think and pretty soon it will be some 14 years later and some few hundred thousand more miles under your belt, it won't be long! hang in there!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #24 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 8:11 am

I thought you were going to say you missed your Manly Mauve ride. I was going to offer to do a ride with you and swap bikes for a while.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #25 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I thought you were going to say you missed your Manly Mauve ride. I was going to offer to do a ride with you and swap bikes for a while.
you have no idea how much I miss that bike!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #26 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
No way, Pastor Jack !

I had so much fun when I borrowed my bosses BMW 330i MSport (245HP of fun) and drove it for a whole sunny weekend. But I had to queue on the way to the lakeside and on the way back... yes I was relaxed but still lost one good hour that I could have spent better if I was with my LT

The only REAL advantage of the convertible against the LT was that we could travel with my 8 y.o. son who is normally not following as we ride... but it won't be long before he does (see attached pics!! Second off-road session just completed yesterday)

Well, we may disagree on the convertibles, but we BOTH agree that you have one fine lookin' young man! He has that "winner" look in his eyes.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #27 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 9:35 am

Quote:
Yes A Spinal Fusion of the L4,L5,S1
That's the same three that are giving me problems and one Dr. wants to fuse them and another says to hold off until you cannot do anything. Some days I cannot move and others, it just hurts. I guess until I have more bad days than good, I will stay where I am at.
Good luck.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #28 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 9:36 am

Quote:
When do you get to take this ride? I hope it is this Summer
If therapy progresses as planned, I plan on starting in late June or early July and spend my birthday somewhere on the road..

Right now, I'm able to walk without cane but still feel stiffness after sitting awhile..

Aloha, Roy
post #29 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 9:38 am

Smile Re: I miss Her

Quote:
go out to the garage and stroke her

Hey big guy, it's yours, you just stroke it all you need to and as often as you want.

Oh come on, you knew THAT was coming
No, I didn't!!! You really blindsided me on that!!! LOL!!!
post #30 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 3:23 pm

I had neck fusion surgery on October 29th of last year (at 38 years old), got C5-C6-C7 fused. It's been over 6 months now, and it's the best decision I ever made (well the wife kind of made it for me, she got tired of hearing me complain, lol). The time will pass soon enough, and if all goes well you'll feel better than you have in years. I have a different appreciation of riding than I did before even, and I am thankful to be pain free for the first time in over a decade.

Best of luck to you in your EDIT - recovery, that's what I meant to say.

Last edited by Hydrilla; May 11th, 2009 at 4:57 pm.
post #31 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
That's the same three that are giving me problems and one Dr. wants to fuse them and another says to hold off until you cannot do anything. Some days I cannot move and others, it just hurts. I guess until I have more bad days than good, I will stay where I am at.
Good luck.
Best advice is to try everything you can before the surgery...see if cortisone shots work etc.... wait until there are no more options then if the pain is killing you all the time get it done...

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #32 of 42 Old May 11th, 2009, 6:04 pm

I'm thinking that it would be a good excuse to add more Farkles to the beast. Or take it all apart and have it painted a custom color....maybe flames?

Art Kester
post #33 of 42 Old May 12th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Best advice is to try everything you can before the surgery...see if cortisone shots work etc.... wait until there are no more options then if the pain is killing you all the time get it done...
I have been through three of the shots. They really helped...for a while.
Kinda looking at that inversion table. I don't really know a lot about it but I can't see where it would hurt.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #34 of 42 Old May 12th, 2009, 2:26 pm

I went through the shots, didn't help at all. Then they sent me one of those things that stretch your spine out. Didn't help. I was at the point that I could not stand straight up without using my hands on a wall or something. Artificial disc replacement was the best decision I made. Just blessed that I was a good candidate. Many are not and that is the reason the success rate is only slightly higher than fusion. Too many doctors taking money for a surgery that someone isn't a good candidate for.

05 LT
US Army
post #35 of 42 Old May 13th, 2009, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I have been through three of the shots. They really helped...for a while.
Kinda looking at that inversion table. I don't really know a lot about it but I can't see where it would hurt.
I have a Inversion table and it really did not help my lower back but has done wonders for the rest of my back.and neck......try it...i love mine ...the problem with them is they can take up alot of room...

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #36 of 42 Old May 13th, 2009, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I went through the shots, didn't help at all. Then they sent me one of those things that stretch your spine out. Didn't help. I was at the point that I could not stand straight up without using my hands on a wall or something. Artificial disc replacement was the best decision I made. Just blessed that I was a good candidate. Many are not and that is the reason the success rate is only slightly higher than fusion. Too many doctors taking money for a surgery that someone isn't a good candidate for.
Ya shots did not help me at all either....glad the artificial disc worked for you i dont wish this pain on anybody friend or foe....Just think a few years ago Artificial Discs were not even a option.....these procedures are gettting better every year..My sucess rate is at 92% recovery now where 5 or 6 years ago it would of been about 60%...

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #37 of 42 Old May 13th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I got mine on 06 at Walter Reed through the Army. My doc did around 18 before mine, because the Army can do it before it is ok for civilians. My doc later did the Maverick disc, ended up cracking the soldiers spine. I went from 2% range of motion to 18% in one month. World of difference.

05 LT
US Army
post #38 of 42 Old May 14th, 2009, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I got mine on 06 at Walter Reed through the Army. My doc did around 18 before mine, because the Army can do it before it is ok for civilians. My doc later did the Maverick disc, ended up cracking the soldiers spine. I went from 2% range of motion to 18% in one month. World of difference.
Wow that is a great range difference...Congrats...

Thanks God for place like Walter Reed.. I am glad you were able to get it done and it worked out so well for you!

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #39 of 42 Old May 14th, 2009, 11:16 am

Yes thank God for sure. Hopefully the other members here that have surgerys will have successfull results and keep riding. The downtime is bad, but I would look at it as an opportunity to work on and add farkles if you can.

05 LT
US Army
post #40 of 42 Old May 14th, 2009, 11:30 am

Quote:
Yes thank God for sure. Hopefully the other members here that have surgerys will have successfull results and keep riding. The downtime is bad, but I would look at it as an opportunity to work on and add farkles if you can.
Yeah, Jason, the downtime is bad..Even worse, I've got my LT farkled out already to my specs so that added to the bad times. BUT I am now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel..The PT sessions are tough but the results are finally showing..
Hoping to be back on the LT in 2-3 weeks(hopefully sooner)
Ride safe and wishing you the best also, Aloha, Roy
Oh, and from one to another...Thanks for your service..Semper FI..
post #41 of 42 Old May 14th, 2009, 11:51 am

I really feel for you!
I had four of my vertabra's fused two months ago. According to the doctor-I should never ride again--one accident and I could die or worse-be disabled for life.
Oh the heck-is life really worth living if you can't ride? I been on the bike for the last two weeks--being extra careful but riding none the less.
Follow what your body tells you, best of luck to you.
post #42 of 42 Old May 14th, 2009, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
I really feel for you!
I had four of my vertabra's fused two months ago. According to the doctor-I should never ride again--one accident and I could die or worse-be disabled for life.
Oh the heck-is life really worth living if you can't ride? I been on the bike for the last two weeks--being extra careful but riding none the less.
Follow what your body tells you, best of luck to you.
Wow! your back riding after 6 weeks....thats Inspiring....Be safe!

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in