Throttle Cable Upgrade Help? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 8th, 2009, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Question Throttle Cable Upgrade Help?

I am trying to take the cable ends off at the bottom. I am trying to disengage throttle opener cable from its pulley at throttle valve rail. It is really hard to get to. Is there a trick to do it? I removed air intake duct and partially the fuel rail. Do I also need to remove the air box? if yes how?
Thanks in advance,

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 8th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Re: Throttle Cable Upgrade Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
I am trying to take the cable ends off at the bottom. I am trying to disengage throttle opener cable from its pulley at throttle valve rail. It is really hard to get to. Is there a trick to do it? I removed air intake duct and partially the fuel rail. Do I also need to remove the air box? if yes how?
Thanks in advance,
Matt,
Open the throttle. This gives you some slack in the cable and also moves the cable end to a position that is is a little easier to access. When I did mine I did not remove the air box. Use a long needle nose pliers to carefully pull the old cable out of the pulley and then to reinstall the new one. Takes time and patience.

Not to question your knowledge but to remove the cables from pulley you must tip the cable so it is perpendicular to the pulley then slide the ball on the end of the cable sideways while the cable goes through the slot in the pulley.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 9 Old May 8th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Matt,

With the fan,air duct and vaccuum pod removed. Pull the cable to wide open throttle and wedge something in the linkage to hold it that way. The pulley wheel and cable connection will now be visible at the bottom of the pulley. Push some slack in the cable, which will put the cable out of the grove, now pull the barrel out with forcepts. Easy as pie!

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old May 8th, 2009, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

OK Guys thanks. I was able to pull the opening cable off and put the new one in.

But how the closing cable? How do you take that clip off? I am able to see that clip with mirror in the back. Go Figure... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
Matt,

With the fan,air duct and vaccuum pod removed. Pull the cable to wide open throttle and wedge something in the linkage to hold it that way. The pulley wheel and cable connection will now be visible at the bottom of the pulley. Push some slack in the cable, which will put the cable out of the grove, now pull the barrel out with forcepts. Easy as pie!

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #5 of 9 Old May 8th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
OK Guys thanks. I was able to pull the opening cable off and put the new one in.

But how the closing cable? How do you take that clip off? I am able to see that clip with mirror in the back. Go Figure... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance....
I compressed the spring and used a right angle pick to pop it off. I was lucky, it went flying and landed in my lap. Used right angle needle nose pliers to put it back on.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #6 of 9 Old May 9th, 2009, 8:45 pm

To get the clip off the throttle closing cable, it is similar to
a circlip, just slide it up. I used a small jewelers screwdriver
to slid it and then a needle nose pliers to grab the clip
so it won't get lost.

I also cut a small notch in the radiator fan shroud to
allow the fan motor cable to be routed more easily.

Good luck.

'00 Blue K1200LT
'02 XR650L (sold)

Todd
Minnesota

post #7 of 9 Old May 10th, 2009, 5:41 am Thread Starter

I finaly managed put the the clip on on the new cable after it went flying 4 times. I had to fish out with a magnet a few times. Thanks for all the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
I compressed the spring and used a right angle pick to pop it off. I was lucky, it went flying and landed in my lap. Used right angle needle ynose pliers to put it back on.

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 9 Old May 25th, 2009, 7:27 pm

There is sometimes a reference to 'rerouting' the new cables. Is the only change the new passage into the bar cover or are there others?
And thanks to all previous posters of questions and answers. Without you all I would not have started on this much needed task.
post #9 of 9 Old May 25th, 2009, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

New routing (new passage into the bar cover) and new design ends by the throttle.
New cable assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierHugh
There is sometimes a reference to 'rerouting' the new cables. Is the only change the new passage into the bar cover or are there others?
And thanks to all previous posters of questions and answers. Without you all I would not have started on this much needed task.

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in