Thanks! side stand parking. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 7th, 2009, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks! side stand parking.

Just want to say thanks to ever said to leave bike in first gear when parking. went for ride to a uncle that was sick and a storm rolled in having a cup of coffie , looked out side and see the wind trying to push bike off stand , I THOUGHT FOR SHURE IT WAS GOING OVER ON MY WAY IN THE POURING RAIN . put did not thanks to the trans thank god!!!! thanks for the good tip!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 7th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Re: Thanks! side stand parking.

...some of us had to learn the hard way....

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old May 8th, 2009, 12:43 am

Garage

That is the first thing that Pete at BMW Ventura County in CA stressed upon me. ALWAYS leave it in gear on the sidestand. He said it more than once. Just remember to turn off the key if you use the sidestand to turn off the bike (when it's in gear and you put the stand down.)

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT

post #4 of 27 Old May 8th, 2009, 4:26 am

Here here! I agree with your sentiments. Slow speed maneuver info was also a big help. I admit that I wuss out when executing a U-turn in two lanes. I use the go forward, back up, go forward method myself. Seems safer.

When coming to a stop I use the come to a stop and plant my foot one time method. This seems to be working for me and my lengthy 28" inseam.

All great warnings picked up on this site that have helped me keep her upright.

Loren.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 27 Old May 8th, 2009, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
...some of us had to learn the hard way....
I'm a firm believer in learning from someone else's mistakes!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #6 of 27 Old May 8th, 2009, 8:47 am

the dealer made it a point to clue me in about putting it in gear when pointed in any way down a grade...

I learned today that when the stand is down, you can't put it in gear with the engine running.

I pushed the bike out of the garage, set it on the side stand and started it up to do a walk around and close the garage. I noticed that the with the bike running, the slight vibration had it sliding backwards (an ever so slight grade in the opposite direction) so I got on the bike to put it in gear and move it up a bit...each time I put it in gear, it killed the engine. With visions of tranny problems (read as $$$$$$$) I tried a couple more times with the same results. I looked down for some reason and it dawned on me, pull the stand up and see what happens... doh! that was it.

'00 K1200 LTC
post #7 of 27 Old May 8th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Wink Re: Thanks! side stand parking.

And that sidestand kill switch is exactly how many of us choose to shut the engine off whenever we come to a stop. And then, before leaning it over on the side stand, roll the Bike forward with the clutch out to get her against the compression of the engine, as well as giving you a few seconds for the oil to drain back into the sump before leaning it over.

The former makes sure that the Bike will not roll forward any further, and the latter will help to cut down on the smoking situation when you go to start up again!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_5
the dealer made it a point to clue me in about putting it in gear when pointed in any way down a grade...

I learned today that when the stand is down, you can't put it in gear with the engine running.

I pushed the bike out of the garage, set it on the side stand and started it up to do a walk around and close the garage. I noticed that the with the bike running, the slight vibration had it sliding backwards (an ever so slight grade in the opposite direction) so I got on the bike to put it in gear and move it up a bit...each time I put it in gear, it killed the engine. With visions of tranny problems (read as $$$$$$$) I tried a couple more times with the same results. I looked down for some reason and it dawned on me, pull the stand up and see what happens... doh! that was it.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 27 Old May 24th, 2009, 9:19 am

I posted these pictures three of four years ago, but it bears repeating.

On a hot day the side stand can punch right through the pavement. Someone had moved the piece of plywood I normally use under the side stand and this is what I came back to a few hours after having parked the bike. Luckily damage was only a mirror and a couple minor scratches- thank goodness the cover was on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fall1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	23109   Click image for larger version

Name:	fall2.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	23110   Click image for larger version

Name:	fall4.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	23111   Click image for larger version

Name:	fall3.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	23112  
post #9 of 27 Old May 24th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
I'm a firm believer in learning from someone else's mistakes!
Problem is, I always seem to learn more from myself

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #10 of 27 Old May 24th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I had a K100LT blow over in the wind while on its center stand while I was at work. Over $3000 worth of damage. Comprehensive covered it, but never again will I leave a top heavy bike with a full fairing like a K outdoors on the center stand.
post #11 of 27 Old May 25th, 2009, 12:10 am

I wish I had read this thread on Friday night!! I got up early to go on a Central Texas twisties ride with a buddy (started the ride at 0630 in the morning so we could beat the rain)!!

Back on Cow Creek (West of Austin, TX) I stopped the bike on a small country road, put the kickstand down and started to get off....then the weight started shifting left as the bike started rolling forward and the kickstand began to go back.....I caught it with a little bit of strain and the use of the front brake. I re-set the kickstand...or so I thought....whilst leaving the engine running (ok...now I know). Ran back to pick up the item that fell off my bike and as I got about 20 feet from the bike on the way back all I could do was cringe as I saw it settle onto the road. Country roads aren't the smoothest and the gravel chewed into the left black bumper and scratched the rear chrome bumper.

Here's the lesson, DO NOT get off the bike and leave the engine running, park facing slightly up to the center of the road where it is "crowned" (if on a country/less travelled road), and leave the bike in first gear....it'll start when you get back!

Now....a kind note to BMW....why aren't the black bumpers made of more resilient rubber rather than plastic? As for the rear chrome sidebag plastic strips....why do they have to be held on with adhesive when a good torx or allen nut/fastener would make it tons easier to change out?!! Or even better....make it metal with a rubber "bumper....it could even be color coded to match the paint (farb)!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #12 of 27 Old May 25th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Not sure anyone mentioned this in the thread -

After making sure the bike is in 1st, on an incline grade, let the bike roll back slightly till you feel resistance from the transmission before setting the bike on the side stand. On a "slight" decline grade, let the bike roll forward till the transmission catches before leaning the bike over on the stand... and oh yeah... always double check that the stand is pushed all the way forward... that little rascal just loves to sneak back an inch or two if you're not careful.... and reap embarrassment upon your very being.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #13 of 27 Old May 27th, 2009, 2:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
I wish I had read this thread on Friday night!! I got up early to go on a Central Texas twisties ride with a buddy (started the ride at 0630 in the morning so we could beat the rain)!!!
I'm right up the road from you in Waco. Visit the South Central forum click here for short cut ; many from Central Texas gather for RTE (ride to eat). Lone Star BMW in Austin is the nearest, trusted dealer for service.

Glad you enjoyed the ride!

Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #14 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 1:07 pm

I'm happy to say that ready all these posts have helped me quite a bit. I just took a trip from Ohio to Bar Harbor Maine by myself and thanks to the posts, never had an incident with the bike. When I stopped for anything, I'd put it in first gear, put the side stand down which killed the engine, took a few minutes to take gloves and helmet off (to reduce engine smoking on start up) and give everything a last once over before leaning it over gingerly to park. Guess you can teach an old dog some new tricks. Very enjoyable solo trip.

Kent Fellers

post #15 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

I also have to thank everyone on the forum for letting all of us newbies know about how to park an LT and where not to park. I have had my bike three weeks and absolutely love it (good bye Harley!) and have been obsessive compulsive about parking and stopping and traffic lights. I still get the feeling at some poitn it may go over but I feel pretty confident at these two "skills" right now.
Ken
post #16 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 9:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyale
I posted these pictures three of four years ago, but it bears repeating.

On a hot day the side stand can punch right through the pavement. Someone had moved the piece of plywood I normally use under the side stand and this is what I came back to a few hours after having parked the bike. Luckily damage was only a mirror and a couple minor scratches- thank goodness the cover was on.
I keep a round, hard plastic puck on the end of a cord in my tank bag (from my days of riding Harleys). During the summer, it's easy to lower the puck to the ground and push it under the side stand before leaning it over on asphalt. The big girl carries a lot of weight on the stand when she's healed over.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #17 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:46 am

When I bought my LT last year - I was a bit concerned with the size of the bike and the weight on the side stand - The BMW dealer had a plastic BMW side stand plate on offer for a few bucks, I used it once and forgot to pick it back up!!!!
While in the UK, I came across a Wunderlicht catalogue for the LT - there are a lot of goodies in it - one of which is the side stand foot enlarger - It doubles the area of the side stand plate and is easily fitted with 3 small bolts and some thread lock. It's neat and cost £40 in the UK which is about $65.
I'm not sure if there is an importer in the USA - link to the catalogue attached.

http://www.wunderlich.de/images/International/England/Katalog_PDF/K_1200_LT_ENG.pdf

Link to UK BMW dealer who supplies Wunderlich accessories.

http://www.rainbowmotorcycles.com/WL/
post #18 of 27 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 7:33 am

Thumbs up Re: Thanks! side stand parking.

Once again I learned a little something. I have a round aluminum plate I place under my side stand when in use. I never thought of drilling a hole in it and using a tag line on it. My passenger usually picks it up for me. When I have no passenger with me I find a choice spot and put her on the center stand. Simple solution nice.
post #19 of 27 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
. Country roads aren't the smoothest and the gravel chewed into the left black bumper and scratched the rear chrome bumper.

As for the rear chrome sidebag plastic strips....why do they have to be held on with adhesive when a good torx or allen nut/fastener would make it tons easier to change out?!! Or even better....make it metal with a rubber "bumper....it could even be color coded to match the paint (farb)!
If the scratches aren't too bad, there are some after market rubber strips that can be attached to the chrome guards around the bag...they actually enhance the look of the bike in my opinion and may cover up your scratches. However, they are attached with adhesive also...helluva lot cheaper than replacing those over priced chromed pieces of plastic that are a bitch to get off without a hair dryer and monofilament line...I used weed trimmer line when I replaced one. Heat the strip by applying heat from back of the case and use the mono with a sawing action.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #20 of 27 Old Aug 28th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Most of us have learned personally about the K12's "Ejector Stand".

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #21 of 27 Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beajet
Once again I learned a little something. I have a round aluminum plate I place under my side stand when in use. I never thought of drilling a hole in it and using a tag line on it. My passenger usually picks it up for me. When I have no passenger with me I find a choice spot and put her on the center stand. Simple solution nice.
I use a bright green cord and put it on the handgrip with a slip knot. Makes it easy to pull it back up when you're taking off and because it's on the handgrip, I don't forget it.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #22 of 27 Old Aug 29th, 2009, 1:23 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have the Foot Pad http://www.motohansa.com.au/catalog/...oducts_id=1256

I have not touched it down in the corners, but your mileage may vary.

I am constantly amazed that anyone would park any manual transmission in Neutral

I guess from growing up where everything I drove was a manual transmission?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #23 of 27 Old Aug 29th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
I had a K100LT blow over in the wind while on its center stand while I was at work. Over $3000 worth of damage. Comprehensive covered it, but never again will I leave a top heavy bike with a full fairing like a K outdoors on the center stand.
I thought that the center stand was safer than the side one: why not?

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #24 of 27 Old Aug 29th, 2009, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
I thought that the center stand was safer than the side one: why not?
I haven't measured the distances on the LT, but on most motorcycles, and I assume on the LT, the distance between the two centerstand feet is less then the distance between a line running from the sidestand foot ortogonally to the line that runs through the centers of both tires. This gives you a wider base to support the bike against side forces.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #25 of 27 Old Aug 29th, 2009, 10:26 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

And the side stand allows you to back into a curb using it as a brake, even in gear.

No smoking from mine but I always take my gloves off, my helmet chin strap, pull anything from the counsel, roll forward on the compression, flop it on the side stand.

I thought I was having a stroke on seeing it the first time. Read here on the Forum and yep they all will do it, unless you do this, no issues since

Center stand has its place, but if you park it a bit uphill it can be a challenge, or funny depending on what seat you are in.

I do use my center stand every night to park on my lift.

I know I can spin my bike on the center stand, on the lift, so I agree on those two little feat, not instilling confidence in me either. A cover blow over seems very possible to me.Once it goes forward, good-by. Not in gear, and would not matter anyway, unless you leave the side stand down also and, put it in gear, and got lucky, When I had my bike off the center stand to replace the skid plate supports, I did put my side stand down out of habit. If you wheel is locked, and Voodoo happen, it should fall to the side stand side

First gear rolled, against the compression stroke, backed into a curb is bomb. Get on start it, and put in neutral to adjust things and such nice brake.

Also as pointed out the the triangle weight thing, I mean two tires and a side stand compared to the center stand feet for contact patch makes sense to me, always has, never had a bike with a center stand before the LT.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #26 of 27 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 3:55 am

Just tripped across this thread - great advice - thanks. Had my LT for 3 years - the first one dropped all by itself in a car-park (side stand, slight decline). The second drop happened in my drive (slight decline, engine running, side stand). I learned after to always use the centre stand, and had no problems since.

Word of warning on ferries - I dropped the bike to the left into another biker - surely the MOST embarrasing thing to happen. It's OK if you drop it on your own drive with nobody watching, but with 30 other bikers and then crash down onto a little sports bike - nearly threw myself overboard with embarrasement. Anyway, here is what happened ..... pulled onto the ferry, and they guided me to the middle of 3 rows - that's my first mistake, because they just arn't wide enough for LT's. Anyway, i rolled forward just enough so that the strapdown lugs were either side of saddle, and put the side stand down. The guys that load the ferry went beserk because i'd left 1 foot of space between me and the bike in front - he bawled his head off for me to move forward - which i did (second mistake) and didn't realise that the tiedown lug on the floor gently pushed the centre stand back up as i moved forward - so, bingo, i eased the bike back down onto the non-existant stand until i reached that angle of no return and over we all went like dominoes.

I'm sure i've seen that clip in a move somewhere, but it might have been a big orange orangutang doing it and not me !
post #27 of 27 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
And the side stand allows you to back into a curb using it as a brake, even in gear.
Yeah, but be careful with this one, I got seriously stuck once doing that. It was a very steep hill with a tall curb. I stopped at the appropriate angle, rolled back to the curb, dropped the side stand to kill the engine, then leaned it over onto the stand (after taking my gloves off, etc). As I leaned it over, it felt like it went back a little further. I didn't think much of it at the time. When I came back later, I found that the combination of the steep hill, tall curb and rear wheel angle to the curb kept me from being able to lean the bike back up! This was really embarrassing, no manor of turning the front wheel or rocking it worked. I couldn't use the engine because I couldn't lean it far enough to raise the stand and start it. The thought of having to call a tow truck to pull me off the curb, and the fact that I would never live that down, gave me enough strength to just barely push it forward an inch or so, enough to lean it up.

Keep that in mind if you are on a steep hill, maybe you'll want to park somewhere else!
-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in